Begrudging Luigi's Mansion franchise thread
  • Anyone tried the coop out in this yet?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My youngest daughter completed #1. I'm pretty sure I got close to that too but then did my usual hop to something else.

Sad that #2 was handheld which excludes me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Anyone tried the coop out in this yet?

I have. It's fun but essentially the same campaign as SP with someone just controlling Gooigi. Not tried the other mode though, which I think it's Luke a battle mode.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Just when you think it can't get any prettier it somehow does.
  • The MP minigames are fun for a bit but lack depth, although I imagine it's better with more players.

Scarescaper though is very good indeed. Deep, difficult and randomly generated.
  • The mp minigames added to a few first party releases could do with a bit more refinement imo.  They're always welcome but they rarely have much lasting appeal.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Doing the garden floor now, which was a favourite in Dark Moon.
    Spoiler:
  • Not really convinced about this. Feels kind of shallow and the bosses are (again) irritating.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Not really convinced about this. Feels kind of shallow and the bosses are (again) irritating.

Boooo
  • I got to a film bit and that seems like the first time it’s interesting though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Little Easter egg in the original for you.

One of the tracks in Mario Kart DD has the Mansion track side and its appearance is dependent upon your final Mansion score. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Not really convinced about this. Feels kind of shallow and the bosses are (again) irritating.

It gets better but there's no getting away from the fact it involves a lot of hoovering. Some of the puzzles are tricky. The boy and I got stuck for a couple of hours on one bit, which is about where you are now. It's so charming and pretty it's a little hard not to be wooed by it even though there may be underlying shallowness. It certainly improves the higher you get and I ended up loving it, knowing I probably shouldn't. ScareScraper is great when you're done.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Coming to the end of 3, and it's making me want to track down the 3DS re-release of the original, just so I can say I've played and finished the entire trilogy.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I played the remake of the original on 3DS a couple of months ago.

Was great, well worth picking up imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    If anyone has the 3DS remake for sale...

I got a B grade at the end of LM3, which served to reinforce my opinion that the LM games are "baby's first Resident Evil", which I mean in an entirely positive way. Does anyone know if A is the highest, or does it do the Japanese game trick of having S as the best?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • SSS+ I believe.
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I am literally 45 mins in but i think the joy in this life s the animation and the exploration. Keep going back on myself to try new things. Lovely game.
    PSN - minkymu
  • I've only managed to play twice so far. What's the deal with co-op, is it a separate thing? Would I have to select co-op from the start? Pad sharing with my daughter but wondering if I should've tried co-op instead.
  • It's best in co-op. One just plays Luigi so you can watch the little one play it until she shouts "DAD GOOIGI!" and then you press X, Gooigi appears and you can do it together. You can be present at anytime if you like by pressing X. A few of the puzzles are tough.

There is also Scarescraper MP mode that is great but it's hard, and a less deep Vs party mode involving minigames.
  • Not sure tbh

Edit - space answered that one
    PSN - minkymu
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've only managed to play twice so far. What's the deal with co-op, is it a separate thing? Would I have to select co-op from the start? Pad sharing with my daughter but wondering if I should've tried co-op instead.

You have to play until you unlock gooigi which is about an hour.
  • We got to him last time, thanks.
  • Well I decided to get my son Luigi’s Mansion 3 instead of Pokemon Sword with his Switch, I hope he enjoys it I know I will :-).

He’s 8 and a half, I think he might not enjoy Pokemon until he’s a bit older, it’s really hard trying him to try something other than Minecraft.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Theres so much to do in this game
    PSN - minkymu
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    Theres so much to do in this game

True that, a 100% run would take a while.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I both love and hate the game. Have a hard time getting used to the controls, and I often don't see well enough which direction Luigi is facing, so I'm missing a lot and bumping into things that hurt me more than I want to. B2 level was especially infuriating. See everyone mentioning how it's such an easy game, but I definitely keep my golden bones at max and have used them on several occasions. It does make you feel slightly stupid.

But then the animation is wonderful, I really enjoy what they're doing with the themed floors, there's some really fun stuff there, the secrets are stashed away in good places (I still haven't found a Boo on my own, I'm sure I had all of them in 2), puzzels have a good variety to them.

I just picked up the 11th floor key, so I'm sure I've done quite a bit by now. Has been a good adventure so far.
  • Yeah the controls are janky, especially turning Luigi in the direction of the ghost. Using the shoulder buttons instead of the regular ones helped a bit.
  • Near enough essential to use the shoulder buttons.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I keep forgetting about the shoulder buttons.

Glad I'm not the only one that has trouble with controls. I was feeling sad after all the "this game is so easy but full of charm" reviews, and when my mother in law said the B2 boss was easy (I had a hard time controlling Luigi in that fight) I felt even more sad.
  • Don't be sad, it's still a lovely game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!