Castle Of Illusion HD
  • RetroGam3r wrote:
    Making of the game part one is up:

How did the original innovate with the 'camera'? 

It looks decent but I'm not keen on the curved line for the 2D gameplay.  I've never really liked that.  Sure, use 3D graphics if you have to, but I've always to preferred two dimensional platform gameplay to have the precision of a straight line.
  • It's possible things we take for granted with the camera now started with that, but I can't recall what.

What do you mean by curved line?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Think he means don't screw it up by making it a 3D roam-around. Keep the gameplay 2D.

I totally agree - nothing switches be off more than a 3D roam around - the only games I've tolerated like that have been M64 and M-Galaxy1&2.

It was a 2D platformer - so best keep it playing that way even though it will look 3D.....at least that's what I think.

Making yet another 3D roam around will make it feel like just yet another licenced 3D platformer yawn-athon - I avoided Epic Mickey when I found out it was 3D.

Mickey's Magical Quest was the biz on SNES.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I don't mind a 3D roam around if it's well done - the games Davy mentions in particular, but I also liked the first Jak & Daxter and Rayman 2.  I also quite like the 3D into-the-screen, slightly less roamy stuff like Super Magnetic Neo and the first Sly Racoon, if they're well done.  I generally prefer 2D gameplay though, but what I meant by curved line is best summed up by the footage at 4.53 in that vid - the controls are strictly right to left (one would assume), but because the game is using a 3D engine they've felt the need to curve it around a bend.  I would say simply to 'show off', but obviously I realise it's not 1995 any more.  Essentially this doesn't affect the gameplay, but I do find games that do this lose a touch of tightness to the control as there's more of a question mark over exactly where your character might land, or precisely how close you are to an enemy as the viewpoint shifts. 

For example, the original Trials HD on XBLA had a straight racing line - left to right 2D gameplay using a 3D engine.  Evolution, however, added the curved line tool to the level editor.  The gameplay was still strictly flat, but the way it could curve whilst the view shifted wasn't an addition I was keen too on, especially when people got carried away with it on user tracks.  I felt it occasionally made lining things up feel less than perfect (the first time I played Gigatrack I was horrified). 

I don't like the look of the Mickey Mania moose chase style into-the-screen sections in the vid either, and I pretty much never have in any game.  Surely not being able to see where you're going is inherently fucked in terms of playability?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    but what I meant by curved line is best summed up by the footage at 4.53 in that vid - the controls are strictly right to left (one would assume), but because the game is using a 3D engine they've felt the need to curve it around a bend.

Like Pandemonium is basically is what your getting at right?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Right. I've never had an issue with that.

Into the screen can get fucked though.
  • I don't like be making of video. It grates.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • This game gets the Tiger Seal or Approval.

More 2d platformers, please.
  • Game yes. Making of with a bird admitting she had never made a game before so that is a good thing = fail
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    but what I meant by curved line is best summed up by the footage at 4.53 in that vid - the controls are strictly right to left (one would assume), but because the game is using a 3D engine they've felt the need to curve it around a bend.

Like Pandemonium is basically is what your getting at right?

Yes. Pandemonium, Klonoa, Mr. Bones etc - they were fun platformers (well, the last one wasn't), but I felt they lacked the pin-sharp controls of the best 2D games from previous years.

Edit: It looks like I'm just having a pop at 3D platformers on a 2D plane, which isn't quite what I'm getting at (more specifically it's when the view moves around), but it's close enough. The last few of years - mainly thanks to downloadable titles - have been the best for strict 2D platformers for well over a decade though, so I can't complain.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!