Cultural observations
  • I am in Berlin soon. Hope it takes my breath away.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    We agreed people who don't like Berlin, generally on the whole are snobs. This was decided by a mix of working class and middle class folks who don't always share the same opinions. Such as whether 'The Fresh Prince of Bell Air' stands the test of time.

We also agreed:

Berlin is not aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.
    There are too many foreign nationals claiming to be artists.

Also Berlin is better in the summer as the German's are fucking miserable in the winter.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • davyK wrote:
    I was looked at in an odd way in Berlin when I crossed the road before the green light at the crossing - got the feeling I had committed a minor misdemeanour.....

Yea, illegal. But i do it all the time. I particularly like the way once i do it everyone else follows. It's as if 90% of Germans don't have the courage. 

People get really shitty though if you do it in front of kids. Setting a bad example, apparently. And yet it's totally fine to be downing vodka at 9am outside a school.
  • Alcohol is pretty bad but I guess they think a car coming at speeds that are fast enough to kill is probably worse, in the short term. 

And the long term too I suppose.

Actually, all terms, simultaneously.

Quantum terms.
  • beano wrote:
    We agreed people who don't like Berlin, generally on the whole are snobs. This was decided by a mix of working class and middle class folks who don't always share the same opinions. Such as whether 'The Fresh Prince of Bell Air' stands the test of time.

We also agreed:

Berlin is not aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.
    There are too many foreign nationals claiming to be artists.

Also Berlin is better in the summer as the German's are fucking miserable in the winter.

I'd agree with most of that. However, I do find it aesthetically pleasing as well.

Definitely nice in summer. A lot like Melbourne really. Except bigger and better.

Yes I have a city crush.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • There are too many foreign nationals claiming to be artists.

Are the rents still that cheap?

I'd like to get back to Berlin at some point, it's a helluvah town.
  • Must be, we were their for 6 days in '11 and saw more aussie music acts than we do at home.

Seriously. Saw Gypsy and the Cat at the Lido and at least two more aussie musos at some little venues around town who were living there. We weren't even looking for them.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Actually there's a big thing here about people getting evicted in order to put rents up or tear down and rebuild completely as the current buildings can't be modernised, i.e. you can't add balconies to old buildings.

Also to rent you need a job with a full time contract and getting a place is hard as you're practically interviewed by the entire block.

A lot of people living on couches, relying on friends and such.

It's a minefield.

Cheap flats can be found in new builds with low ceilings; what are typically more bellway than berlin.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Some people's rent hasn't increased for 20 years. You can now increase it by 20% every year/few years. Once you get the tenant out you can renovate it and put it back on the market for a tonne more.
  • More cost effective to renovate than to New build.
  • I was taken aback by the crossing the road thing in Canada a while back. Calgary city centre it was. 
    Really long straight roads, not a single car in sight, and people would wait for the green man. 
    It was weird and annoying, if you waited at every set of lights it took ages to get anywhere, if you have been to Calagary you will know at weekends the place is like a ghost town we could walk for 10mins and not see a single car but people still waited at traffic lights.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Think you're allowed to cross the streets here if the light is red, but I usually wait anyway. Take the time to have a look around, and ponder a bit. Find it relaxing.

One thing that is supposed to be dutch is that we swear with diseases. Not the flu, stuff like cancer etc. this is one of the reasons I never really got the discussion about swear words here (don't start it again now!), but I guess they have the same impact (only we choose diseases that kill you). Can get nasty, and I often wonder if people realize what word they are using. I don't mind once if someone's really angry, but try and keep it down.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Example pleaxe.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I've used germ, microbe and cancer as put-downs; will expand repertoire.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Here is a write up on Stuff Dutch People Like, which is fairly accurate.

Recent example, I've been called a "cancer whore" at least 20 times in one minute by a customer a while ago, just because I told him he was at the wrong desk. The one he needed to go to was too busy according to him. He went from being normal to a complete nutter in a fraction of a second, security was just too late, he'd already walked out before they could kick him out.

That hurt a bit. Specially as I didn't expect it at all.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Het is Kankerweer.  That's all the Dutch I remember.
  • Here are a few things i've noticed about Moscow culture (my understanding is that its very different in the countryside). 

- Generally speaking, only half of the population are overweight. There are very very few overweight women in Moscow. Its just the men which are overweight. 
    - They are inherently racist, they do not discriminate though anyone who is a foreigner is pretty much bad. Though if you're black you will really struggle. 
    - There is still a massive ethos which dates back to the soviet times
    - You are not supposed to cross the road when its a red light, i do much to the suprise of the locals but i think thats more because driving here is pretty dangerous so stepping out into a road in general is almost suicide. Most of the time when you "cross a road" you will go through an underpass. 
    - the vodka section in the supermarket is the biggest section of any product. I might actually take a picture of this. 
    - They switch tires on cars (due to the extreme weather) and clean their cars all the time in winter because the snow fucks them up. 
    - I have a box called Yota here for my internet. I got it from my brother in law. I presumed it was a 4G connection but it turns out from some reading that its actually wi-max. I thought that was old hat due to LTE/4G etc but hey?!
    - Flowers are big here. I mean seriously big as an industry. Flower shops/stalls on almost every street corner. Its very much the done thing to buy your gf or wife flowers on a regular basis. 
    - Its hard to find nintendo. From the looks of it Sony have the market wrapped up here. Even the Vita does well here O_O
    - It smells of alcohol on monday morning on the metro. Also the gates on the metro stay open unless you try to get through illegally. Then they shut on you pronto. I wondered about this because in London they are closed and open every time. I imagine the wear and tear on the gates in london must be far far more with that system. Random eh. The metro stations here are amazing, they're really impressive. Inside i'm talking about. 
    - Its expensive, often unreasonably. 

if anyone has any questions I am happy to answer.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Nina wrote:
    Here is a write up on Stuff Dutch People Like, which is fairly accurate. Recent example, I've been called a "cancer whore" at least 20 times in one minute by a customer a while ago, just because I told him he was at the wrong desk. The one he needed to go to was too busy according to him. He went from being normal to a complete nutter in a fraction of a second, security was just too late, he'd already walked out before they could kick him out. That hurt a bit. Specially as I didn't expect it at all.

That's nasty.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I did not like the tone of that Daily Mail piece at all, it made the objections seem perfectly reasonable and did not subject them to any sort of scrutiny at all. Still, the councillor has stepped down, so that's something.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    This:

"The trauma of taking the children out of their natural surroundings is going to be considerable."

Is particularly fucked up.
    The prick probably had plans to retire anyway.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Typical Daily Mail comments section. "What about freedom of speech?!". Of course, this only ever applies to racists

Still, a worse comments section can be found here-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2050378/Eurostar-passenger-jumps-train-dies-refused-UK-entry.html
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    its Mr Ashworths comments in the article that I find distasteful (haven't read the readers comments yet). He seems more concerned about his delay rather than the fact a human being has just killed himself.
  • All you really need to know is that the most 'red arrowed' comments are the ones saying things like "RIP"
  • Last link to the DM comments section

Woman on train starts telling some guy to fuck off back to where he came from

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2312900/Video-shows-foul-mouthed-racist-rant-woman-Tube.html

The most approved comment? "She's only saying what everyone else is thinking"
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Nina wrote:
    Here is a write up on Stuff Dutch People Like, which is fairly accurate. Recent example, I've been called a "cancer whore" at least 20 times in one minute by a customer a while ago, just because I told him he was at the wrong desk. The one he needed to go to was too busy according to him. He went from being normal to a complete nutter in a fraction of a second, security was just too late, he'd already walked out before they could kick him out. That hurt a bit. Specially as I didn't expect it at all.
    That's nasty.

That's fascinating.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!