The Gun Shop
  • I completed Time Crisis in the arcade many years ago, after caning the shit out of the PS1 verson. I had the G-Con, and then you could plug a pad into port two and put it on the floor, using it as a foot pedal like the arcade.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • oh man lucky and wild! i have that running on and emulator, but setting it up is a bitch XD 3 guns and 1 wheel, could be done i guess.
  • With restrictions on gaming increasing do you think there would be uproar if the next gta came with a gaming gun which looked half real?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • it'd never see release unless it was bright pink.
  • 'Restrictions on gaming'?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Best answers I can find are that it is due to refresh rates of modern LCDs and their latency in displaying the millisecond hit box which then registers with the lightgun. There may be a more definitive answer out there though.

That's essentially it. Remember when the screen used to flash when you tried to shoot something?
    What was happening, was that the screen went black, and replaced all targets with high contrast white squares.

At the very same time, the light gun itself flashes a narrow range light sensor at the screen. If the light sensor lines up with one of those high contrast bounding boxes, then you register a hit (I think the "definitive" NES version might actually attempt to register hits on the "dark" sections of the screen instead, but I'm just guessing here). There's a little more to it, but that's the general idea.

Apparently, you can flake out old implementations by aiming the light gun at any high contrast source of light... Like a lightbulb, or lamp...

As LCD screens refresh rates lag to a certain degree (I don't know as much about that side of things), it's impossible to sync the light sensor on the gun. Modern implementations of the lightgun scheme based on the Wii-mote are no where near as accurate (it's no better than playing with an analogue stick, or a mouse). But there are other schemes...

A laser pointer and camera might work... But ultimately would be less efficient than the CRT and light sensor scheme, as the computer would need to keep a running record of the screens' prior state(s) from frame to frame.

acemuzzy wrote:
    Point Break or whatever it was called was good for a giggle. I've never been clear how light guns worked and why they don't on lcd/plasma. Someone Google me details pls im in the bath and feeling lazy thanx

U r welcum.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    What was that ninja themed one? Last gen I think.
    Ninja Assault.

Didn't that feature ninja monkeys? Or at least monkeys that you had to shoot before they jumped on you? Remember me an a mate totally loosing it to the giggles at that point, messing up our game in the process. We could never play it again.
  • Tempy wrote:
    'Restrictions on gaming'?

Sorry tempy badly worded. I basically meant the scrutiny gaming is under from the media in terms of kids hooting each other.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    'Hooting each other?'
  • If the market was still there, they'd just do a Nintendo and make sure the gun didn't look at all like a real gun. I suspect though that there isn't enough demand for these now, even if you could overcome the technical problems.
  • I dunno I think if a cd or DVD came with a replica gun it would be pretty controversial.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    'Hooting each other?'

Yeah with hond guns
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    'Hooting each other?'
    Yeah with hond guns

:}
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Lol

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!