Country Music
  • Netflix anime series and album. AND. ALBUM.

Doing a Daft Punk lets fuckinnnnn GOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • I'll go with it. It's not what I want, but nor was Sailor's Guide and that's his best record. Photo finish, mind.
  • Meta modern for me but I won't argue with any of the three choices. I'm finding it real hard to associate Japanese cartoons with country, but I'm sure interested to see/hear how this plays out.
  • I mean sure, and I did read that. I've loved the albums so far. I'm just more likely to watch a Waylon concert on YouTube than some Madhouse stuff these days. I'll get over it.
  • Had a Metamodern second wind recently, been wearing it out for the past few weeks. Banging from start to finish.
  • FTR, I'm most intrigued by the 'heaviest' aspect - he does roaring/soaring guitars very well when it takes his fancy.  I would absolutely tick a box that requested a 50/50 split between country ballads and spit 'n sawdust roadhouse boogies, but Sailor's Guide taught me to trust him.  I switched it off on first listen and more likely than not asked thin air 'what the fuck is this?' halfway through that first track, but DAAAAMN that's a fine album from start to finish, I just had to learn to go with it.  

So I'm expecting shades of this Sturgill to rock up:

...but who the hell knows at this point.
  • Got a kilner jar of mojito on the go and it's all about this though, which has to be my most frequently posted video in a thread where I'm well aware I repost loads of the same shit all the time:

LEVELS.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Meta modern for me but I won't argue with any of the three choices. I'm finding it real hard to associate Japanese cartoons with country, but I'm sure interested to see/hear how this plays out.

Cowboy and Bebop???
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Can't watch the cartoon trailer at work, but my interest is piqued!  Dude marches to the beat of his own drum.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I switched it off on first listen and more likely than not asked thin air 'what the fuck is this?' halfway through that first track, but DAAAAMN that's a fine album from start to finish, I just had to learn to go with it.

Lol, yep.  That was my reaction too.  Think it might have been my first taste of Sturgill too - saw all the glowing reviews and gave it a try, but quit after a few tracks.  That ain't country!

Few months later tried it again while doing the groceries, and found myself nodding my head to Keep It Between The Lines wondering why it didn't get the hooks in first time.  Guess it's just a case of getting something completely different to what you initially wanted.
    cockbeard wrote:
    Cowboy and Bebop???

Nice!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I popped it up without much comment as I don't know enough about anime to know from the trailer alone whether it looked good or was hacky, trope filled bollocks. My anime history pretty much starts and ends with Akira and Evangelion, I should fix that at some point

But yeah complete curve ball, YouTube recommendation caught my eye, talk about path least travelled, bloke never has let us down though, always musically interesting
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Ah man, as long as there's a Keep it Between the Lines tier I'll be happy (I had reservations about Sailors Guide until this song). Just listening to High Top Mountain again and fuck me, Sturgill's the real deal man. I totally get why an artist hates being tied down to an earlier form, but dang man I just love that real country shit he pumped out. I bet he hates this, but man's voice is fucking Waylon for a new generation. My days.

Anyway, eagerly awaiting the new album.
  • It annoys me when I try to explain Sturg to someone and the C-word actually puts them off and I'm like "no but FOR REAL, LISTEN TO ME HERE"

I love it all. Watched the trailer again. As someone who obsessed over Daft Punk's Discovery when it came out as a teenager, I'm all giddy at this. Fuck!
  • Country's such a dirty word, people just think Nashville rhinestone cowboy. Most people enjoy some country without even knowing it. Americana is a much less loaded term.

Like, I'm off to see Jenny Lewis on Thursday with the missus, who's a fan. JL deffo has some tracks that could be called country, but the missus wouldn't say she's country. It's just such a broad term. There's an indie hipster girl at work who loves Dylan, if I told her she liked country she's deny it.
  • Sometimes people who feel the need to play up when they hear the C word do a little line dance or Deliverance thigh slap to add visual comedy to their derision. I reckon these types of people often think you don't know that they don't like a lot of the stuff they say they like as much as they pretend to.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    esqXJi3.jpg
  • Tempted by a John Prine ticket at the Royal Festival Hall.
  • I should book really, I'm being cheap as fuck. He's just cancelled a few shows due to ill health. Could be his last major tour. Can confirm he puts on a quality show, and he's still got the chat & charm.
  • Ticket got. Fuck all seating left, am right at the back in the balcony, but I don't mind.
  • Jel. Ticket prices are getting crazy these days though. What was it, £70s?
  • And have you seen the House of Strombo performance? Incredible, he's got the whole crowd in his pocket.
  • £35, £38 with the booking fee. I hadn't checked his tour out because I was sure I'd seen £70+ before but I guess this is what you pay for the very back.
  • I could've got closer if I'd booked one of the disabled seats but I think that's probably frowned upon.
  • Wtf, I went through the checkout process last year and the cheapest was £70+ per ticket. Will look again, Mr and Mrs Moot may attend. Couldn't stretch to £140 as we've seen him, but £76 for both is defo doable.
  • https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/132156-john-prine-special-guests-2019
    There's really is fuck all places left tho mate, I think it was down to single digits at the back, so act swiftly if you want to eh.
  • Okay more than single digits, but not many.
  • I'm in, nabbed a stray seat at the back.  Mrs. Geeza knocked me back and reminded me that I turned her midnight Lost Boys screening down a while ago.  We're gonna spite our noses right off of our faces.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!