Country Music
  • I don’t mind throwing a tenner in the hat. It’s not a lot of money. They’ve had to postpone their world tour for a whole year, and they’re giving a portion of profits to a Nashville charity (Nashville’s had a tornado as well as the coronavirus lockdown …)

I wouldn’t pay for many of these things, but I’m cool with this one.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    nick_md wrote:

BHD take note please m8

*smiley face*

Both covers have great vocals/musicianship. One is definitely less funky though.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Unreleased Cory Branan, the guitar intros remind of something 80s that I can't quite place, but yeah storytelling boom

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Lots to like in there.  Starts like a credits roll to In the Name of the King: Dungeon Siege, segues into dark tales from Ozark.
  • That Larkin Poe gig/stream was fun the other night. It wasn’t a gig, but equally it wasn’t just a YouTube video. I’m sure the international superfans were having a lovely time in text chat alongside, but we went fullscreen and ignored all that. The show was a bit awkward, a bit shambolic, but it was an hour’s worth of cracking stripped-down performances of some of their best-loved songs. And some of the new stuff worked well in rawer form too – better than the full production versions, I reckon.

I can’t see myself paying for live sets by many bands, but I’m glad I did that one. We had tix to see them play Glasgow over the weekend, so it was nice to still be able to sort-of see them despite the cancelled tour.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Plus you know you're able to contribute to an artist at a time that they cannot earn
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yeah, those Spotify paycheques won’t be paying anyone’s rent.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    But it's super nice of them to allow you to contribute money to charities, yo uknow rather than pay for their actual product, cnuts
  • Was listening to Blindboy again at the weekend, he said they got 11 euro for royalties from Trainspotting 2 last year, ain't no musician making money without gigging anymore, not unless you're one of the tiny minority of super-stars.

https://twitter.com/rubberbandits/status/1178985135557038082?lang=en
  • New week so expect a bunch of stuff from my discover again, here's yer first:

• Had some early warning signs, but that is a fucking tuuune.  The Kristofferson line is properly shoehorned in there but why the hell not.  Good stuff.
  • Hah yeah, Kristoffer-sones. I'm a sucker songs that name check the old greats.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hahaha, I remember spending ages trying to work out who The Descendents were talking about on Thank You, probably made me listen to them a lot more as well
  • Did you ever get to see/hear the Propagumbhis, Cocko? I always thought Heroes was one of their best songs, and was a good one for that.

“I’ve got heroes of my own …
    Ian Mackaye! Dee Dee Ramone!”

Not country, by any means.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    No, I did sort out "refreshments" for Propagandhi at the Vic a few years back, but not heard of Propagumbhis, will look them up. It harkens back to a time when you'd discover new music by looking through the "thanks" list on the inlay. Always wanted to remake that BBC programme "Rock Family Trees" just because as the scene shrank everyone played with everyone, so many gigs were genre agnostic
  • I think the Propagumbhis were maybe just a few years early for you. Members of two UK pop-punk bands (Grover and All Bar None) who formed a mighty superband for laughs, so they could play a couple of psycho ska songs at the end of shared gigs as an encore. These songs were so good, and the performances so unhinged, that their silly side project quickly eclipsed their ‘real’ bands.

They recorded with Wreckless Eric and then with the bloke from Dogpiss. They supported almost every touring US ska/punk band to visit the UK in the late ’90s. They toured the US and Japan.

There were so many members in the band that they couldn’t fit on the stages of the small venues they played in. In the Vic, for example, drums, bass and twin guitars filled the stage. The horn section stood in front of it. Lee, the singer, stalked the crowd screaming in people’s faces. And everybody fucking loved it.

They were a scene secret. Better than anyone else on the circuit, but never promoted outside of it. Painting a ’Gumbhis logo on your jacket was a sign that you knew your stuff. They were our Op Ivy.

There’s a download link for their only album on this page which seems to still be working. Fill your boots.
  • (We can go back to country now. Apologies for the digression.)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    If we are back to the party, it's a party I'm very late to with Colter Wall, but I LLLLLOOOOOVVVEE his voice
  • He's lived a thousand lifetimes.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    This was on the adios album but as a performance, this is lovely, and yes it's Cory again, sorry

In my defence, it must be amazingly difficult to write from the point of view of the thing you're attacking

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Also, I'm adding this becasue this albunm was one of the moments in my life that I realised all my favorite artists sometimes played without bands and could still be amazeballs, which led me slowly to "country"

• cockbeard wrote:
    This was on the adios album but as a performance, this is lovely, and yes it's Cory again, sorry In my defence, it must be amazingly difficult to write from the point of view of the thing you're attacking

Fackinell, he's feeling that one.  Agreed it must be tricky to write something like that but he definitely puts his cock on it, for want of a better expression.
  • Walking maybe four miles each day to catch a lift/get home during lockdown.  Was pootling along to Bright Eyes a couple of weeks ago but it's been exclusively Slaid Cleaves in the mornings this week.  

His studio albums are good but some of them sound a bit too Gurf Morlix for me.  I like Morlix, the man has bangers, but if you're producing someone else's album it'd be a good idea to at least try to make it sound like it's not your own, surely?  Some of the songs though, wow - Cleaves knows his way around a melody & a comfort blanket chorus.  

I prefer him out of the studio though:

And one more.  Slightly upbeat this time. just in case Artax is sinking:

• I said I'd do a big Carsie Blanton post but I've done a Cleaves one instead.  Feelsbad because Blanton is great though, so I'll drop a three track sampler.  All sorts going on with her albums, so this won't be representative really.  Idiot Heart is my favourite but it's fairly straightforward compared to Buck Up. 

Cracking performer, I'm drawn to the live stuff more than the albums because she always seems to be on form:

Solo version of one of her best songs, it's a bit of a mover on the album but I prefer sitting down anyway:

And last but not least, an album cut that's probably my favourite thing she's done:

@nick_md - she does a worthwhile cover of (the absolute banger that is) Love Yourself too. 

Would catch a show if she tours, and I'm a lazy man.
  • Twice I've Googled to see if she's the lass from Ozark.  The second time was because I wasn't having it that she wasn't.
  • I bet the lass from Ozark does a cracking country turn at karaoke nights though, eh?
  • One hundred percent.  IRL too, best thing about the show.
  • Saw a trailer for her new movie last night, The Assistant. Looks like she has proper acting chops.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I've spent five minutes thinking Ozark are a band

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!