Currently Playing
  • Still plugging away at The Surge. It's such a 7 game. 

A good 7, but still.

Second major boss down, on to third major area.

Some cracking ideas, and it's not broken, but still a bit flawed, not quite classic.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I haven’t tried VR yet but I know it’ll make me sick.

If you're worried about that I doubt you'd be wrong. When I started it the 'snap to' movement put me off, so I was glad to see you can change it to smoother motions, but in hindsight they're probably set like that for a reason so I'll change them back next time. I definitely couldn't play it for more than an hour at a time, the low level car sick feeling was creeping in (not that I've ever been car sick, but I bet that's what it feels like).

Bags of atmosphere though.
  • Played VR once, felt horrific
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    2 more chapters left in Fire Emblem Awakening and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Enjoying the stories and animations. Missed a couple kids and don't think I'll give their side stories another try, but it's good to know there's still game left after I'm done with the main story. Haven't even looked at the DLC yet but there's even more in there.

Good stuff, was my first FE and am really looking forward to the Switch version.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I went back to red dead 2 last night out of the blue. I discovered that if I just ignore all of the boring systems and faff that rockstar bloat their games with, and just do the missions, I really quite like it
  • I was doing that until I got hold of PSVR and lost all interest, for now. It's still a bit fussy even as a straight story run, but there's a hell of a lot to like.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I need to do that with Horizon Zero Dawn. Got Persona 5 last night (B is playing it) and I'm kinda annoyed that I didn't finish Horizon first and I feel like I need to. Think I will do that as my "big game" after FE.

Woke up this morning thinking about that, why is it that when I start something as HZD I immediately start poking everywhere in the world (I think I cleared all of the right side of the map, no icons apart from a bandit camp with a high recommended level) and I just give up about halfway through, or get distracted. I had no problem grinding all my characters in Bravely Default, put a stupid amount in any MH (but those are mp), try and pay off my loan in Animal Crossing, repeat (in some way) the same thing over and over in roguelikes, but apparently following a story is too hard? Couldn't figure out why I feel like it's harder to go back to Horizon (I enjoyed the story) but I'll happily play another round of Isaac. No one will care if I grab all the idols or relics in Horizon, so why should I?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    If you're worried about that I doubt you'd be wrong. When I started it the 'snap to' movement put me off, so I was glad to see you can change it to smoother motions, but in hindsight they're probably set like that for a reason so I'll change them back next time. I definitely couldn't play it for more than an hour at a time, the low level car sick feeling was creeping in (not that I've ever been car sick, but I bet that's what it feels like). Bags of atmosphere though.

You can get used to extreme nausea stuff, it's just a matter of practice. Even some of my friends have got their VR legs just by playing on mine.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Nina wrote:
    I need to do that with Horizon Zero Dawn. Got Persona 5 last night (B is playing it) and I'm kinda annoyed that I didn't finish Horizon first and I feel like I need to. Think I will do that as my "big game" after FE.

Woke up this morning thinking about that, why is it that when I start something as HZD I immediately start poking everywhere in the world (I think I cleared all of the right side of the map, no icons apart from a bandit camp with a high recommended level) and I just give up about halfway through, or get distracted. I had no problem grinding all my characters in Bravely Default, put a stupid amount in any MH (but those are mp), try and pay off my loan in Animal Crossing, repeat (in some way) the same thing over and over in roguelikes, but apparently following a story is too hard? Couldn't figure out why I feel like it's harder to go back to Horizon (I enjoyed the story) but I'll happily play another round of Isaac. No one will care if I grab all the idols or relics in Horizon, so why should I?

Hzd is just not grabbing me it’s probsbly because ac:odyssey is just so
    Much better
    The Forum Herald™
  • Nina wrote:
    I need to do that with Horizon Zero Dawn. Got Persona 5 last night (B is playing it) and I'm kinda annoyed that I didn't finish Horizon first and I feel like I need to. Think I will do that as my "big game" after FE. Woke up this morning thinking about that, why is it that when I start something as HZD I immediately start poking everywhere in the world (I think I cleared all of the right side of the map, no icons apart from a bandit camp with a high recommended level) and I just give up about halfway through, or get distracted. I had no problem grinding all my characters in Bravely Default, put a stupid amount in any MH (but those are mp), try and pay off my loan in Animal Crossing, repeat (in some way) the same thing over and over in roguelikes, but apparently following a story is too hard? Couldn't figure out why I feel like it's harder to go back to Horizon (I enjoyed the story) but I'll happily play another round of Isaac. No one will care if I grab all the idols or relics in Horizon, so why should I?
    I think because exploring and seeing what you find without being prompted is fun. I spent about 50 hours on HZD in total and much of that was just out in the wilderness, scaling the environment and dealing with whatever came my way. It's where you work out all the intricacies of the combat and experiment with weapons and strategies.

I'm the same with BotW at the moment. I can't see a mountain in the distance with a shrine on it and not want to climb it, even when I'm on my way somewhere else. I've just got to my second divine beast and have played about 30 hours. And again, most of that is just seeing something potentially interesting in the distance or on the map and having to go and have a look. Or getting caught up taking down an enemy encampment even though I could easily leave it alone.

For me it's what these games are built for, and I love it. But at the same time, if I've got an hour or less to play a game, I won't bother. I need a decent chunk of time to get anywhere, so a lot of days I'll hgave a quick go on something else instead.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    tate shmups on MAME and a rotatable monitor I just got hooked up. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    If you're worried about that I doubt you'd be wrong. When I started it the 'snap to' movement put me off, so I was glad to see you can change it to smoother motions, but in hindsight they're probably set like that for a reason so I'll change them back next time. I definitely couldn't play it for more than an hour at a time, the low level car sick feeling was creeping in (not that I've ever been car sick, but I bet that's what it feels like). Bags of atmosphere though.

You can get used to extreme nausea stuff, it's just a matter of practice. Even some of my friends have got their VR legs just by playing on mine.

I found an article online that mentioned something similar, and listed Resi as one of the games you should expect problems with if you're new or relatively new to VR. That and one of the VR Worlds games are the only ones to bother me so far, good to know it's probably teething problems.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    @JonB, did you complete HZD?

I forgot about Zelda, I actually did all the shrines in that one, but managed to miss Hetsu in my 120 hour playthrough. I enjoyed that a lot and makes me now wonder why I bounced off of HZD for a bit. Maybe it's the trophy's. Feeling like you haven't completed something of you haven't ticked off the easier ones (but often time consuming).

It came up last night, when I mentioned to B that the Witcher content is MHW is supposed to be good. He asked if I wanted to play that one too and I said "nah, I don't want to spend 100 hours on that one" and he asked how many hours I have in StS by now.

Part of me wants to be able to play more like Moot (or actually B as well), just enjoy the main part and see what it offers. There's always the option to do more. It sometimes feels like I can only approach a game with all "all or nothing" mindset, which makes me miss out on a lot of good stuff.
  • Sometimes I feel like there's a self-imposed pressure to get through a game and move on to the next. There might be something else waiting and I get impatient. But these big games only work without that pressure, if I go in thinking that I'll play it for the next 3 months if that's what it takes. 

The best open world games in recent years - MGS V, HZD and now Zelda - have all been ones I've been happy to take my time with. So I don't care if I play for hours and don't advance the story at all, as long as I've had fun.
  • I raced through HZD and noticed that the game didn't really suit my usual 'just the basics' approach as Alloy felt a bit weak to me at times. Some games make you feel tough as nails regardless of perks and full skill trees (Shadow of Mordor springs to mind) but some don't feel like they quite manage to scale with you if you go basic. I think I would've enjoyed Horizon a bit more if I'd taken my time with it. My refusal to experiment with the combat after I'd latched on to one or two tricks I liked didn't help either, which is something I'm guilty of in most games.
  • Stranger’s Wrath on PC.

Finally took the plunge after being put off by lots of comments about it not running well. This is the 4th platform I’ve bought it for.

Runs great. Doesn’t launch from Steam! But does if I run the executable directly.

Going to look for a mod to see if can restore the original Grubb Leader’s voice instead of the annoying new version - never understood why they changed that.

Game is just as fantastic as it’s always been. A game I’ll play through every 2 or 3 years for ever.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well fuck rdr into the bin. Apropos of nothing, the incredible and wonderful @elmlea sent me a copy of resi 2 on Xbox and by fuck that's an incredible game. It's bonkers in that I'm playing remembering shit I did when I was 13 and then also dealing with the new systems. What a fucking triumph Jesus Christ this title
  • WRC 6

Free with gold this month, and I'll give any driving game a try.

And here, it's not that bad at all. But it's not in any way spectacular. Good enough of a challenge with the way it drives, and there's a couple of moments when the visuals combine with you in the "flow state" of following the co-driver instructions and it all clicks really well and becomes really enjoyable. Everything else is just standard. Acceptable.

Some of the stages though are really long, demand a fair bit of mettle to get to the end without utterly binning it.

But I guess hardly anyone done the career mode because even the achievement for winning the first race is classed as a rare one.

I'll probably chip away at this though. A very good 6/10.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Genuinely I've got resi on the brain. In town but want to go home and do more hunting
  • Tetris Effect demo, VR headset on (it's the full game afaik, demo locks up after this weekend though). It's the most I've ever enjoyed Tetris, which isn't saying a whole lot really as I've never really liked it (or block puzzlers in general other than Bust a Move 2, Mr. Driller and maybe one or two others over the years), but it's a pretty nifty package. I feel like a bit of a party pooper, but VR isn't adding much for me, you're still playing 2D Tetris on one part of the screen but with some added oooh/aaah visuals. It's good but as expected I won't be buying it.
  • WRC 6

Free with gold this month, and I'll give any driving game a try.

And here, it's not that bad at all. But it's not in any way spectacular. Good enough of a challenge with the way it drives, and there's a couple of moments when the visuals combine with you in the "flow state" of following the co-driver instructions and it all clicks really well and becomes really enjoyable. Everything else is just standard. Acceptable.

Some of the stages though are really long, demand a fair bit of mettle to get to the end without utterly binning it.

But I guess hardly anyone done the career mode because even the achievement for winning the first race is classed as a rare one.

I'll probably chip away at this though. A very good 6/10.

I bought 7 in the sale
    And it sounds exactly the same mix.
    The Forum Herald™
  • For Honor (w10)
    Been delving into this. Gorgeous visceral medievil brawler with just the right amount of depth to lure you in. Deserves more attention.

The Witcher3 (w10)
    Caved in this steam sale and finally bought the goty ed. My crappy notebook can actually run this in 720p@25fps! Good enough for me. I really need to finish Witcher 2 first before even attempting this. Level of detail in this game is simply stupendous.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Was really enjoying re2 but mr x is spoiling it a bit for me, like taking my time with it and doing the puzzles while constantly on the move is doing my head in
    Am in missing something?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Stranger’s Wrath on PC. Finally took the plunge after being put off by lots of comments about it not running well. This is the 4th platform I’ve bought it for. Runs great. Doesn’t launch from Steam! But does if I run the executable directly. Going to look for a mod to see if can restore the original Grubb Leader’s voice instead of the annoying new version - never understood why they changed that. Game is just as fantastic as it’s always been. A game I’ll play through every 2 or 3 years for ever.

It ran terribly when I tried it a few years ago. Might take another look.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I will rebuy Stranger’s Wrath if and when it turns up on Xbox back compat.

Quite tempted by Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and Ninja Gaiden Black which are currently available for £6.75 each.
  • Ninja Gaiden Black is a classic.
    Dificulty is a tad harsh (think dark souls meets super streetfighter2X) but combat is very satisfying once mastered. I'd rebuy it if Tecmo rereleased it on pc. Common Tecmo!

PoP:SoT was good back in the day and evolved into the assasins creed series.
    Not sure how well it has aged though and never finished the 2 sequels as the combat was kind of ropey.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Was really enjoying re2 but mr x is spoiling it a bit for me, like taking my time with it and doing the puzzles while constantly on the move is doing my head in
    Am in missing something?

He's literally the reason to play it
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Ninja Gaiden Black is a classic.
    Dificulty is a tad harsh (think dark souls meets super streetfighter2X) but combat is very satisfying once mastered. I'd rebuy it if Tecmo rereleased it on pc. Common Tecmo!

PoP:SoT was good back in the day and evolved into the assasins creed series.
    Not sure how well it has aged though and never finished the 2 sequels as the combat was kind of ropey.

I loved and completed them both back in the day.

The thing I really enjoyed about PoP was the idea of the space itself being a puzzle to be solved by the movement options you were given, I understand the sequels scaled back on that.

Plus the narrative was actually pretty clever as far as video games go.
  • Completed Ninja Gaiden 2 on Vita.

PoP:SoT could really do with a HD remaster.. Best 3d platformer ever.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Third pop is great. Don't know if it's really held up, but it was really freakin good at the time.
    I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!