Currently Playing
  • I almost bought it (Ape Out) when it was on sale, but struggling to find time at the moment. Maybe next sale.

In the meantime, I have been playing Judgment a lot. Without saying anything about the game itself, it's a tricky one to review in that I want to get far into it to have a full formed opinion, but rushing through is really not the point. I'd usually want to take my time with this sort of game and play it for a month or so.
  • Have made the second "disc" This game nails so much.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    Hit another point in Celeste that's annoying me.
    Spoiler:
    Well, I got past that bit with a little help from B, but the next area isn't doing it for me. I'm not sure if I should continue or not.

They keep adding new things that aren't making the game any better. I was enjoying the rhythmic feeling of jumping, dashing and grabbing but they're breaking that by introducing more stupid things later in the game. It's not even a fun challenge they add. I also have absolutely no clue where to go on this area, there's often two options and it's not clear which is the way forward. Used to be that rooms with visible strawberries were the challenge rooms, and others to proceed.

I also think this is the most ugly area yet.

I will watch on YouTube and then decide if I should continue or not. Yes I'm grumpy now.

• Nina wrote:
    Nina wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Well, I got past that bit with a little help from B, but the next area isn't doing it for me. I'm not sure if I should continue or not. They keep adding new things that aren't making the game any better. I was enjoying the rhythmic feeling of jumping, dashing and grabbing but they're breaking that by introducing more stupid things later in the game. It's not even a fun challenge they add. I also have absolutely no clue where to go on this area, there's often two options and it's not clear which is the way forward. Used to be that rooms with visible strawberries were the challenge rooms, and others to proceed. I also think this is the most ugly area yet. I will watch on YouTube and then decide if I should continue or not. Yes I'm grumpy now.

That's a shame. Heard good things about Celeste, and was considering jumping in. Keep me posted on how things go.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I really enjoyed everything I played so far up until the last two sessions. I'm 1,5 chapter away from the end I think, so I'm ok if I'm gonna give up (not yet though). I think B had similar feelings, the controls just don't feel precise enough.

The core gameplay is really fun once you get used to it, and if I didn't have plenty of other things to play those chapters would be good enough for further strawberries, B sides and other possible challenges.

Plenty of people here enjoyed it.
  • Nina wrote:
    Nina wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Well, I got past that bit with a little help from B, but the next area isn't doing it for me. I'm not sure if I should continue or not. They keep adding new things that aren't making the game any better. I was enjoying the rhythmic feeling of jumping, dashing and grabbing but they're breaking that by introducing more stupid things later in the game. It's not even a fun challenge they add. I also have absolutely no clue where to go on this area, there's often two options and it's not clear which is the way forward. Used to be that rooms with visible strawberries were the challenge rooms, and others to proceed. I also think this is the most ugly area yet. I will watch on YouTube and then decide if I should continue or not. Yes I'm grumpy now.
    I hope you don't give up. If this is the bit I think it is, then
    Spoiler:
  • That's a shame. Heard good things about Celeste, and was considering jumping in. Keep me posted on how things go.
    Get it. It's fantastic. Just make sure you've got a decent d-pad.
  • JonB wrote:
    That's a shame. Heard good things about Celeste, and was considering jumping in. Keep me posted on how things go.
    Get it. It's fantastic. Just make sure you've got a decent d-pad.

The control niggles are what put me off. Is it just Switch? Because if so, fuck using any of those dpads.
  • I played it on PS4. I think it's on everything.
  • It's pc too, pick your pad.

Meanwhile, ape out is a certified classic.

I want to scream at it but keep going.

Added to the hotline Miami and Mr shifty comps, I'd add going for plats on blast corps and trials.

There's rng in there as far as level layout, but you'll die on first enemy 3 times in a row and laugh your arse off and keep going.

I've been shot on the last bit of about 5 levels.

Brilliant.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    It's on sale on Switch now as well I think. I did some reading on control preferences when B was playing (I've had to listen to plenty of "how you should code controls and why it's not like thoss in this game" monologues when he was playing. He still helps me out though) and none of the controllers is perfect/I've read the same complaints from people playing every console.

I've played this with both the joy cons and pro pad, and managed with both options.

@JonB
    Spoiler:
    It annoys me as I was feeling pretty good about my progress, since I'm usually bad at these games. I probably need sleep (o hi Morgana).
  • JonB wrote:
    I played it on PS4. I think it's on everything.

Fair enough. Once I'm settled in Shenzhen I'll probs give it a gander.
  • Nina wrote:
    @JonB
    Spoiler:
    It annoys me as I was feeling pretty good about my progress, since I'm usually bad at these games. I probably need sleep (o hi Morgana).
    You're feeling what Madeline is feeling. It's entirely by design. But when you hit rock bottom there's only one way to go after...

Just to add, the feather bits are the one time it's worth using the analogue stick instead of the d-pad. Much easier to control.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Keep going Nina!! You can do it!!!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Just to add, the feather bits are the one time it's worth using the analogue stick instead of the d-pad. Much easier to control.
    I've been playing with the control stick the whole time. Yes, it made me die plenty of times but I've accepted that and it feels more comfortable.

If this really is how I'm supposed to feel at this point, I'll try and go in blind for the next session, no YouTube yet. I don't really care about the story though, I find it could do with less obvious (and sometimes cringy) lines.

acemuzzy wrote:
    Keep going Nina!! You can do it!!!
    :)

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I've started Guavamelee 2, cos gamepass

And it's amazing!

Been a yonk or two since I played through (and enjoyed) the first, which maybe helps a little but, but it feels pretty fresh compared to other things I've been playing, a great humour running through it (imo...), and the platforming/fighting/combo of the two stuff is top draw. Already had a couple of bits making my finger muscles strain, unlocking new powers and skills at a good rate, fun times being had

@moot_geeza, have you played either if these? Get in it if not, there's insta death sections and everything!
  • Guavamelee sounds tasty.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I played the first.  Must've been in a particularly harsh mood:

41. Guacamelee - Vita

With so many quality games to choose from these days this one has probably slipped a point or two since release.  It's okay, but Cinty was right about the combat and it seemed to frame drop for wall jumps when the screen got busy.  The dimension jump/dash/uppercut/wall hold stuff felt difficult through poor execution rather than well designed trickiness.  Ori it ain't.  [5]

I'm still in for the sequel though, bizarrely.  At the right price though.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That is harsh. I think I played it in Vita too, and didn't have those gripes, I thought the level design was well crafted.

It works decently on a big screen tho - and no frame drops noticed yet! Get yourself some gamepass going for cheaps (see bargain thread...) and enjoy it!
  • Ori it ain't... so... good?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Or... opinions... and Moot's are often close to mine...
  • It's a running joke about our differing opinions on Ori ya dingus
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oh lol I misread the first word ;p - though you said "Or" not "Ori"!
    Spoiler:
  • It said Or initially but it was still obvious what he meant.  Classic Muzzy.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Am crai
  • You're right about Ori though.
  • So wrong, as is proven
  • Ori's the only one that would cut the mustard as a Meat Boy type thanks to the ultra super precise controls.  Plus it has the sweeping plinky choral theme that goes 'ahh ahh ahh ahhhh ahh'
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Ori it ain't.

You got that right.  Just not in the way you think.

:-)
  • Big shout to Ape Out again, apparently it's twitchy bang bang gameplay got my reactions to a better state. Revisited Sundered again today, and it started to click big time. Smashed a couple of areas and mini bosses that were annoying me, unlocked a bunch of stuff and gave a boss a good crack.

It does fuck off big bosses very well. Holy shit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!