Currently Playing
  • So anyway, I'm playing Resi 7 now and I don't like it very much.
  • Don’t play it, then. Life’s too long and shit as it is.
  • Andy wrote:
    Don’t play it, then.

Aye. I'm gonna try and get through this section and if it doesn't pick up I'm gonna ditch it.
  • Djornson wrote:
    Hunk sums it up well: Dark Souls is to rpg's what Halo was to fps. Genre redefined.

Balderdash to the pair of you's! Halo greatly influenced every other FPS that came after it by introducing the two gun only rule, recharging shields, and open worldy levels. Where can Dark Souls influence be found? No other RPG sought to imitate its maddeningly punishing combat system or bonfire mechanics.  Why? Because every other RPG knew those were awful features not worthy of replicating.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Someone didn't get good.
  • Yeah, it's not like there are terms such as Souls-like doing the rounds these days.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Halo greatly influenced every other FPS that came after it by introducing the two gun only rule, recharging shields, and open worldy levels. Where can Dark Souls influence be found?

True, when you look at it like that. I don't actually play enough games to answer the question because if they aren't souls, i ain't playing. I struggle to get the same sense of satisfaction from the gameplay and sense of wonder from the world.
  • Dark souls would be to RPG’s what halo was to FPS games, if people weren’t shit.
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • I tried to play Resi 7 and didn't like it very much either. Not a series I've had much success with really, I've seen the credits on three of them.
  • The credits on 7 are really good.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Hunk sums it up well: Dark Souls is to rpg's what Halo was to fps. Genre redefined.
    Balderdash to the pair of you's! Halo greatly influenced every other FPS that came after it by introducing the two gun only rule, recharging shields, and open worldy levels. Where can Dark Souls influence be found? No other RPG sought to imitate its maddeningly punishing combat system or bonfire mechanics.  Why? Because every other RPG knew those were awful features not worthy of replicating.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-souls-like-games-on-pc/

There you go.
    Hollow Knight is also worth a mention.
    You're wrong about Dark Souls mechanics. They are fundamental to the Souls experience.
    A bit like legendary in Halo.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Most of those aren’t RPGs though. Such as Hollow Knight which you mention. 

Souls has had an impact on RPGs, but not quite like Halo did on FPSes. Most FPSes felt shit after Halo. What Whereas most RPGs are still fine after Souls.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Yeah, it's not like there are terms such as Souls-like doing the rounds these days.

Surely that suggests that it spawned a sub-genre rather than it changed a genre? Nobody was talking about Halo-likes after Halo, but practically every post-Halo FPS ripped off bits of the Halo formula.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    What Whereas most RPGs are still fine after Souls.

Disagree.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Yeah, it's not like there are terms such as Souls-like doing the rounds these days.
    Surely that suggests that it spawned a sub-genre rather than it changed a genre? Nobody was talking about Halo-likes after Halo, but practically every post-Halo FPS ripped off bits of the Halo formula.

True. Maybe it was a bad comparison after all. Souls is fucking amazing though, alright? :) i can't even remember where this convo started.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The example I gave doesn't exclude the other kind of influence. There are plenty more examples of games using bits of Souls as inspiration or using specfic ideas and mechanics. It is less genre-specific than Halo's influence though.
  • Yar, Souls has had a massive influence on modern games. The specific influences can be a little looser and harder to nail down than something like Halo or GTA 3, but there's a bucket load of games around nowadays that crib at least a little from From's classic.
  • Agreed. Souls itself is a genre hybrid. Action adventure RPG if you must label it. Hollow knight may not be an RPG but it is definitely action adventure. Fused with some crazy metroid/Megaman/castlevania platforming.

Souls is best known for its RPG mechanics but it's also a beat 'm up set in a meticulously rendered 3d world steeped in ancient lore. Hence why so many genres get away cribbing elements of souls like design. With varying levels of success.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yar. Even outside of those genres though there’s deffo cribbing of specific mechanics e.g death and loss / recalculation and reward.
  • 'Souls-like' just means any game that is also stupidly difficult.  DS itself has no legacy.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I’m not even comfortable with the assertion that the Souls games are RPGs.
  • Just started Limbo.  Didn't know anything about it other than it was a monochrome 2D scroller about a lost child.  I have just encountered a
    Spoiler:
    and the tone is a little darker than I was expecting.
  • Andy wrote:
    I’m not even comfortable with the assertion that the Souls games are RPGs.

RPGs are deffo the hardest genre to nail down. Is it dialogue choices? Stories? Stat building? Level ups? Gear collection? Combat system?

There’s been numerous games stuck into the RPG genre that I’ve not thought of as RPGs at all - monster hunter world being the most recent. But I’d struggle to build a clear definition myself.
    Blocks100 wrote:
    'Souls-like' just means any game that is also stupidly difficult.  DS itself has no legacy.

I think it’s reductive to define Souls games purely by difficulty. The death mechanics of Souls have found their way into Nier: Automata (not hard) and Titan Souls (hard, but built effectively as a puzzle game), while the world and story telling (and stat building elements) have been ripped wholesale by numerous 2D outings such as Salt and Sanctuary. Meanwhile, the more considered and slower 3rd person combat mechanics have found their way into other games (God of War, most recently, which used to be a Devil May Cry style character action game, and isn’t particularly hard either).

Dislike Dark Souls by all means, but it absolutely has a huge effect on a lot of modern games.
  • Spoiler:

I was looking for a way to relax after a stressful morning.  This isn't it.
  • And now I've just inadvertently
    Spoiler:
    which was nice of me.
  • You’re doing great. Keep it up!
  • Andy wrote:
    I’m not even comfortable with the assertion that the Souls games are RPGs.

RPGs are deffo the hardest genre to nail down. Is it dialogue choices? Stories? Stat building? Level ups? Gear collection? Combat system?

There’s been numerous games stuck into the RPG genre that I’ve not thought of as RPGs at all - monster hunter world being the most recent. But I’d struggle to build a clear definition myself.
    Blocks100 wrote:
    'Souls-like' just means any game that is also stupidly difficult.  DS itself has no legacy.

I think it’s reductive to define Souls games purely by difficulty. The death mechanics of Souls have found their way into Nier: Automata (not hard) and Titan Souls (hard, but built effectively as a puzzle game), while the world and story telling (and stat building elements) have been ripped wholesale by numerous 2D outings such as Salt and Sanctuary. Meanwhile, the more considered and slower 3rd person combat mechanics have found their way into other games (God of War, most recently, which used to be a Devil May Cry style character action game, and isn’t particularly hard either).

Dislike Dark Souls by all means, but it absolutely has a huge effect on a lot of modern games.

Rpg itself implys playing the role of a character wich is exactly the choice you make at the beginning when you decide if your a warrior, mage etc.
  • But I’d struggle to build a clear definition myself.

You’ve done better than me, in that you’ve at least been able to start describing why it’s difficult to pin-down.

Like you, I have a bit of a problem with just using ‘Souls-like’ as a synonym for ‘hard’. I’ve also seen people do the same with ‘Rogue-like’ and ‘Rogue-like-like’. It just strikes me as applying personal preferences (or, more to the point, dislikes) to a (sub-)genre. I could just as easily do it with vertical shmups or... well, just games.
  • You’re doing great. Keep it up!

Took a break at the point
    Spoiler:
    Need to do something less stressful like attempt to entertain an extremely grumpy three-year-old.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!