Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye, I was thinking Resi 4 while watching it. That had branching cutscene/QTEs didn't it? So you could fail one or two but still win in the end?
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    It looked closer to Resident Evil than Resident Evil has recently. This could be a good thing.
    Closest thing I got to the Resident Evil reveal I wanted to see.
  • Yeah but you don't like anything, you grumpy sod.
  • Says the person who said Bayonetta was overrated.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • That's because it is overrated. ;)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You coming to londonstock gonz? Always nice having someone miserable there ;-)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oh well, maybe see you at the one after.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I might be at that one, so maybe the one after the one after that.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    I have conditions:

1. No fat jibes

You could cycle there.
  • Skerret wrote:
    I might be at that one, so maybe the one after the one after that.

Mayber.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yer, mayber.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I have a feeling that this will be awful.
  • Should've been a launch title, would've got a free pass just for looking shiny like Rise.

They'll need to make a decent game out of it now to avoid getting hammered come 2015.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    I have a feeling that this will be awful.

Same. I've really gone off games that interrupt play with little cut scenes and mini QTE's. It frustrates me because it's usually just the protagonist jumping through a glass window or getting bashed off a banister by a monster (see vid for this). What annoys me is the technology is there to have the player do these things themselves, but they make a little cut scene out of it. Even worse is that doing these things in game would actually be really fun. This looks like one of those games where interaction is taken away constantly and the player is only left with basic control.

A bit like a CoD campaign.
  • The bit I saw was doing way too much in and out of cinema mode. Give me a proper cut scene that I can skip or have a quick toot on my crack pipe thru. Then give me back full control for another 30 mins. Dont keep taking control away from me in a way that I can't skip or rest thru.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Eurogamer voice-over chap has some major Radio 4 inflection.

• I was just thinking the other day that general game design knowledge is very good these days. There was a time when almost nobody knew their shit. Games were coming out that were ripping off other games with no clue what was good about them, games journalists were writing about games with no clue what made them better than other games. These days there are indies with world class game design skills and random 13 year old youtube posters that really know their shit.

This game looks like it's from the bad old days. Like when "frankie says relax" t shirts were trendy and there were cheap foreign knock-offs that were just white t shirts with random english words on them.
  • it was written on the wall from the earliest vids i think, another walkthrough i'll enjoy for graphics wanking
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Guess what this game looks like. Yes. Shite.
  • Looks visually amazing but even the functioning gameplay looks really shallow.
  • It's quite hard to enjoy the graphics really to a degree as so little of it seems dynamic, so you may as well be watching prerendered, but i do hope stuff transpires to let some impressive stuff happen outside  the quasi-dragons lair structure
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Looks like a poor man's Gears crossed with Downton Abbey and dunked in a big pool of QTE shite.
  • God of War (I believe this is the same guys?)
    looked great , had shallow gameplay and qtas.

The difference is the result of the shallow button pressing was something absolutely epic.
    You would tear the eye out of a 100 foot God or ride a titan while being attack by a God who's hands were a collection of water stallions.

You still pressed triangle to kill it but you were rewarded with epicness.

Some of it was even smart qte, like pressing down on both thumbsticks to simulate pressing Kratos' thumbs into an enemy's eyes from a first person view.

Pressing triangle to watch a guy 4 foot away tackle someone, take their knife, stab them and do a judo throw isn't all that immersive.
  • to be honest i dont find the idea of tearing gods eyes out that immersive but you're right its much better feedback from actions that have been chosen as they simplify a sequence of complex, presumably impressive, cruise-play. They've skipped the impressive on the qtes for sure
  • Maybe it's all in the name, 'The Order' comes back to you in to the qte traversed end showdown and it all twists into a crazy, Grasshopper-aesthetic-heavy statement on the metagame. And you find out you are in fact god and have been infused the power from the amazing graphics firing amazing rays into your eyes and programming your deification. Okay probably not
  • I was thinking much along the same lines.(lazy's first post)

For myself there is nothing in the qtes that couldn't be just a part of the standard mechanics.

You can shoot and stab to your heart's content in the exact same way so a qte that forces it seems odd.

I always considered good qtes to be a useful tool in engaging the player when the standard mechanics can't perform that desired experience.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I find QTE's work well in the Telltale games for that reason. The Wolf Among Us has some fights that feel quite engaging even with the small amount of button prompts.
  • God of War (I believe this is the same guys?) looked great , had shallow gameplay and qtas. The difference is the result of the shallow button pressing was something absolutely epic. You would tear the eye out of a 100 foot God or ride a titan while being attack by a God who's hands were a collection of water stallions. You still pressed triangle to kill it but you were rewarded with epicness. Some of it was even smart qte, like pressing down on both thumbsticks to simulate pressing Kratos' thumbs into an enemy's eyes from a first person view. Pressing triangle to watch a guy 4 foot away tackle someone, take their knife, stab them and do a judo throw isn't all that immersive.

Ready at Dawn only did the PSP God of War games not the Ps2 and PS3 ones
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Some of the fights in Uncharted are basically QTE but (IIRC) without prompts. Just use the most logical button from the character's own move set.

I could suffer that if they looked like they knew how to make a cover shooter. I'm hoping that kitchen is the room where you learn about cover before the game properly starts. Timing when you pop up and shoot to avoid getting shot by the other guy that's popping up and shooting you is the most basic use of cover mechanics, and it should be fun on its own, but that really can't carry the shooting.

A good cover shooter should be a line of sight puzzle while spinning threat-plates, prioritizing targets in order of their ability to do you damage and restrict your movement, carving a path from cover to cover that allows you to pick off your targets in the best order.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!