Cricket Thread - Crickets (Tests, ODI, T20)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    New ball. This is it.
  • Fair play to Cummins who's decided to try and win the match by himself.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Marathon not a sprint, eh
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Marathon not a sprint, eh

No mate, they're playing cricket
  • Without bazball there’d not have been a result there. England did everything to ensure a result - and very nearly made it a win for England. Absolutely deserve credit for that, for avoiding at all costs what would almost certainly have been a four-something day bore-draw

I’d take losing like this over useless test draws every series of the year personally. The margins were super fine - had stokes catch stuck we’d’ve won; had he not declared, who knows how many runs we’d’ve got on top. Great game, well done Aussies (don’t tell me vela that you weren’t shitting it until Cummins got those sixes)
  • Never in doubt
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I'll post more actual thoughts later. It's 430 am here
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Are you getting up or going to bed?
  • Not sleeping apparently, but we will find out!
  • Having had the day to digest the first test I reckon the two teams remind me of the mid to late 90s ODI pattern.

Prior to WC1996, standard ODI scores were good if over 200, and exceptional if around 250. Sri Lanka changed that by routinely approaching or exceeding 300. Jayasuriya in particular changed ODIs forever. Fast forward to 2003 and beyond, and teams were regularly passing 350 and even 400 sometimes. And chasing big totals too. That's all because Sri Lanka upped the standard and in a big tournament focus.

But Test cricket doesn't have tournaments, so we will only know if bazball or rather, aggressive attacking, confident play becomes the standard as teams play and lose significantly to England.

Australia used to be extremely aggressive and attacking when we had Hayden, Langer, Ponting, S Waugh, Gilchrist et al, free to bat knowing their scores would be supported by McGrath, Warne, Gillespie, Lee. The teams from 1995 to 2005 never took their foot of the throats of their opponents except for one time.

India, 2001. Kolkata.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Test,_2000–01_Border–Gavaskar_Trophy

Australia scored 400+, bowled India for 170 and enforced the follow on. India then declared for 657 thanks to Laxman and Dravid. India went on to win.

Australia basically took their foot off, and India worked their way back in via an absolutely brilliant batting performance.

England's mistake this week was letting Australia have a sniff. I thought you had it in the bag. Fair play for going for a result, but I suspect England was closer to breaking the game open than they thought.

That said, Australia is a very balanced team now. Almost zen like in being able to defy previous expectations against historically challenging scenarios. Coming off some rare victory in India recently has probably boosted their confidence immensely.

This should be an excellent series with two very confident teams.
  • I think the two single moments that produced the result were stokes dropping Cummins - it was a very tough chance but catches win matches - and Cummins going bazball at anything and everything with that 14 run over that I think really instilled belief they could really make the chase - at the same time stokes realised it could happen and started setting more defensive fields and refusing the new ball

I’m not sure there’s much more England could have done
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Take the new ball as soon as it's available and get the pace bowlers on is always my go to for cleaning up the tail. Mix up shorter and full deliveries. But no, short stuff with a dead ball and weak spin from the other end seems to be their favorite method
  • Funkstain wrote:
    I think the two single moments that produced the result were stokes dropping Cummins - it was a very tough chance but catches win matches - and Cummins going bazball at anything and everything with that 14 run over that I think really instilled belief they could really make the chase - at the same time stokes realised it could happen and started setting more defensive fields and refusing the new ball

I’m not sure there’s much more England could have done

A game that's won or lost on single moments really tells you how close the teams are.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Was very tight like. Both teams prepared to risk losing in order to win, the way it should be for me
  • Yeah, this series could see a result every match. Weather permitting.
  • Can't wait for the next one. This is going to be another classic.
  • Don't forget the Ashes Test between Aus and England women's teams starts in ooh.... 15 minutes!

I didn't realise til this week that Healy, the keeper and captain, is married to Mitchell Starc. I wonder how often their tours overlap.

Hopefully this series is just as competitive as the last one which came down to the last match I believe.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Did it? I would have sworn you'd trounced us...
  • Shit I thought it was close. Or did England win the test and then lose the ODI games?
  • That rings a bell. Aussie women are head and shoulders above the rest in women’s cricket right now, so I’m not expecting much from this series.
  • i think the women's is just a one of test, rather than an ashes series?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • The guardian tells me that Australia have only played four tests since 2015 and all were draws. Utterly dominant in limited overs, but not so in tests.

The test in the ashes is also worth the most points in the series.

The women's Ashes series is one test, 3 t20s and 3 ODIs. Test worth 4 points, all others worth 2.
  • Vela wrote:
    The women's Ashes series is one test, 3 t20s and 3 ODIs. Test worth 4 points, all others worth 2.
    Ah. that rings a bell actually. Cheers
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I know that the women's T20 domestic tournaments are getting big in Australia now. It's great fun to watch apparently, though I've never been to any T20 of either men's or women's.

It's great to see their competition be taken more seriously by the wider public. Same as women's football. There are some incredibly talented people playing and it's nice to see that get recognition.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2023/jun/26/womens-ashes-2023-england-vs-australia-live-updates-test-match-cricket-eng-v-aus-latest-score-scorecard-day-five-trent-bridge#maincontent

Australia win by 89.
    Pretty insane game too.

One 10-wicket match by Ecclestone
    A 12-wicket match by Gardner
    A double century by Beaumont
    An unbeaten century by Sutherland

• Play halted after 9 overs.
  • After one over, too.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    They're coming back out, no drinks break
  • Lack of spinners might be a problem with damp ground.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!