Cricket Thread - Crickets (Tests, ODI, T20)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Ha. Turned it off 90 minutes ago thinking it was all done.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Silly old Mod.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Great, now Friends is on.  One gut-punch after another.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • The One with Peter Siddle

Pete Siddle moves in next door and annoys the gang with continual bowling practice in the corridor and loud, vociferous appealing for imaginary wickets.
  • Great game, one of those where I wouldn't have been so distraught if the Aussies had won, bearing in mind the splendour of Agar, Haddin and Pattinson's innings. Finn was useless, Swann wasn't as effective as we'd hoped or expected, Broad played the secondary bowler role well and Jimmy was great. Bell showed he can grind fantastic innings when it really matters. 

Clarke's giving his media briefing now and he comes across a fantastic guy. Hope he gets a load of runs in this series, sublime cricketer.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    @LarryDavid: He also reminds everyone every five minutes that he is in fact Peter Siddle and do you know who he is.
  • What's this talk about the British cheating? I'm seeing it pop up on the fb newsfeed. Just whinging Aussies?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Cheating?  Dear oh dear.  Ignore that, simpletons.*

*Unless it's someone I know of course, then it's merely misguided passion.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    It was not an ideal way to end it but it was entirely legal and correct.
  • I'm going for a lie down now.
  • 1) Australia were saved twice from crashing defeat by 11s. This will not happen on a regular non docile 5th day pitch.

2) why did cook go to Finn @ fifty runs to go. Moronic.

3) England need a bowler who can scare the batsmen that isn't Anderson (who is amazing).

4) the walk/don't walk issue is a complete nonsense. Stand your ground wait for ump to decide.

5) Erasmus has got to go.

6) root should go back to six, imo.

• So who opens with Cook?
  • Root's only had one game opening and he was unlucky to be given out in the second innings so it'd be hasty to drop him back down to the middle order so quickly. Compton was painful to watch in his last few England games, too terrified to even play a shot. Bairstow doesn't fill me with confidence at this stage of his career but I'd still play him rather than tear up the batting order by bringing in Compton.

Getting rid of Finn would be the only change I'd make and I wouldn't even be too sure of that, even though he was awful it wasn't a pitch he was ever going to make that much of a contribution on, Lord's might be quicker and have some decent bounce for him.
  • I agree with LD. The most I'd consider is bringing in Onions for Finn, and I'd be careful about it since good player management is knowing how their confidence works. When Finn is firing he is a very good fast bowler.
  • Nah. He's excellent when people are swinging (like in one dayers) but is too expensive unless the pitch is favourable (v.similar to Mitchell "which way" Johnson).

I don't like brez. He's done well but recently I just see him as someone who punts it down with a lot of effort and picked mostly for his supposed batting. Onions seems a better dealer of the ball to me. (batting looks woeful though with Anderson and onions at the end, but I guess not much worse than Finn).

I like root but I think the jump from worn out old ball attack 5/6 to shiny new all opener is too steep, there's no shame in a number six batsmen. Compton, scores runs slowly buuuut he spends enough time to kill the threat of the new ball for when the really good batsmen kp and bell come in, and he's scored runs off the aus. I reckon he was dropped too harshly after getting a lot of runs in NZ (albeit few runs v NZ here). I could see compo in the Watson mould of someone who averages a 50 ish but only by getting 50s.

• Ugh. So disappointed with the ending of the match. Not that I will argue whether I think it was the right decision or not (it appears it was nicked), or whether there were wrong decisions repeatedly through the game. There were lots.

I just think the game deserves a more dramatic finish than an anti climactic review. Like an outfield catch, or a boundary. UDRS takes something out of the game.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Also my tip is Australia might go balls out aggressive next test with Warner replacing Cowan.

Curse you jimmy anderson for making this happen if indeed it does.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Finn keeps his place in the squad. No surprise there, let's see who's selected in the first 11.
  • Did I hear correctly that England's lineup is unchanged for T2?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Finn will do well on a hard fast pitch. He flings it down anywhere and lets the bounce do all the graft.

How's the Lords pitch looking?
  • Lineup unchanged, and I have to reckon that swapping out Finn for Onions on Finn's home ground is unlikely.
  • Former Australia coach Mickey Arthur is seeking up to AUD 4 million in compensation from Cricket Australia or his job back after his sacking last month, claiming he was discriminated against because he was not Australian, and that there was major tension between Michael Clarke and Shane Watson within the national setup.

The Seven Network reported documents tendered to court by Arthur which claim that Clarke described Watson and his faction within the squad as "a cancer" and that Arthur was "the meat in the sandwich". The court documents form part of Arthur's claim for compensation after his axing as coach last month, two years before his contract was due to expire.

Arthur also allegedly reported in the documents that Watson had told him about David Warner's punch at Joe Root in a Birmingham pub during the Champions Trophy, which led to Warner's suspension. Watson previously stated that he was not responsible for passing the information on to Arthur.
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/651767.html
  • Right then!

Good start: we won the toss and decided to bat. Good work chef!

Ambivalent about: Finn being dropped, Bres in. It's his home ground, he'll have been desperate to make up for his poor showing at Trent Bridge, he's got a great record at Lord's, and he's, for my money, a clearly more talented bowler than Bresnan and Onions.

Win this and it's all over, I reckon, however much backbone the Aussies may have. Any biters?
  • If England win this, for sure its series over (barring the unimaginable).

That said, Harris is a great inclusion for us - he nearly won the Sheffield Shield off his own bowling earlier this year on the notoriously English-like Bellerive Oval.

Australia to win this match by 100-150 runs or so.
  • As Pony as Finn was in the last test it does really surprise me that he has been dropped on his home ground.

Weather looks good for 5 days of fun.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Fast outfield, green wicket. So glad Mitchell Johnson is home.
  • Oof, after losing the toss?

My money's on a Cook century and a Root half.

As in seriously, I've bet a couple of quid on it.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    My money's on a Cook century .

I'll take it!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    WOOP
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    As pointed out, good change from Clarke.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!