DOL-001 (The successor to MD-001) Limited Edition Print Project...
‹ Previous123
  • I wasn't sure whether this belonged in ''Games' or not - but here it goes anyway...

You might remember a while back that I worked on a project with megadrive.me called MD-001 - It was to produce a high end poster based on the Japanese Sega Megadrive (http://cargocollective.com/Wolfsburg/Megadrive-me-MD001-Print-Project). I had always said that I wanted to do similar projects based around gaming, and as we're coming towards the end of the 100 run for the MD-001 prints (hurry!) I thought I'd tell you a bit about what's next:

From a design perspective I've always loved the Gamecube. I think it's one of the greatest console designs there's ever been, and I do think it's the last true example of a console that doesn't feel the need to sit comfortably along side a Sky box or a DVD player (it has a handle and they sold it in purple for fucks sake). It's a great example of a games machine that looks like fun - and the more time you spend with it, the more charming details you notice. I personally think the pad is also one of the best there's been.

But enough of me fawning - The plan is to create a piece of printed graphic design to celebrate the NGC. We haven't agreed all of the details as of yet but the following is pretty much set in stone:

- There'll be 3 versions based on the the Japanese launch colours - Indigo / Spice Orange / Black
    - Each colour will be a variant so details will be different
    - There'll be some link between the three variants
    - We're collaborating with some select games journalists to write a short piece that will be included on the print 
    - It will be a very limited run (I'm aiming for less than 100 per colour)
    - It will be more ornate and intricate in it's make up than the MD-001 poster
    - It won't be anywhere near as expensive as MD-001 (nothing to to do with profitabilty, we're just using different printing processes.)

I'll add any updates in here, there's also a Twitter account that exists (@DOL001) where I'll do a launch giveaway to people that follow - In the meantime here's a few WIP bits of the pads:

DOL001_pad_indigo_WIP.png

DOL001_pad_spice_WIP.png

DOL001_pad_black_WIP.png

Dan
  • Nice, I really liked the MD one.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm interested in one of these. For reals.
  • Cheers guys - I'll keep this thread updated with progress, there should be quite a lot in the coming weeks, here's a few WIP sleeve designs as well (the sleeve will be the same size as a Japanese Gamecube box to give you an idea of scale):

DOL001_pad_sleeve_01.png

DOL001_pad_sleeve_02.png
  • Pour one out for the GC. I will be getting one of these for sure. Wish we'd had Spice Orange over here as a launch colour. Did we ever get the Symphonia Mint Green one, that always looked lovely.

Do a Tshirt for god sakes man!
  • Tempy wrote:
    Pour one out for the GC. I will be getting one of these for sure. Wish we'd had Spice Orange over here as a launch colour. Did we ever get the Symphonia Mint Green one, that always looked lovely. Do a Tshirt for god sakes man!

You have no idea how much i get asked about doing tees - I just can't stomach the idea to be honest - not enough control over the fit and finish and it just doesn't have the appeal to me personally in the way the intricacy of combining paper/print/packaging does.
  • That's understandable, the quality of tshirt prints veer wildly from excellent to awful all the time. I'll definitely be looking to save some cash for a print though.
  • Tempy wrote:
    That's understandable, the quality of tshirt prints veer wildly from excellent to awful all the time. I'll definitely be looking to save some cash for a print though.

As mentioned - you might not need to do a great deal of saving, these theoretically won't be anywhere near the cost of the MD print. We do this for the enjoyment, not really as a massive money making exercise.
  • Wait, how much exactly is the MD poster? If I click through to the megadrive.me site it seems to suggest just £30 or so.

I'll keep an eye out for the GC one, but would love to see a decent SNES based poster. Best console ever.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    GC has better system design though. THAT HANDLE
  • Yeah. I do love my GC, it's gorgeous and has a great catalog of games. But ultimately the SNES is what shaped my gaming life and I hold it in the highest regard. It's the only console I would consider collecting games for.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Wait, how much exactly is the MD poster? If I click through to the megadrive.me site it seems to suggest just £30 or so. I'll keep an eye out for the GC one, but would love to see a decent SNES based poster. Best console ever.

Yes £30 + P&P - however the MD print had a considerably higher production cost than what we're looking at for DOL. The paper on the MD print was sourced from Japan ( We were actually one of the first to use it outside of Japan as we know a rep from the paper company - see here for more: http://www.gfsmith.com/editorial/post/gfsmith-launches-japanese-paper-range) and the design was screen printed by hand for each.

That's not to say the DOL print will be cheap and cheerful by any means - it's just we're taking a different approach to how it's made up - I guess what I'm aiming for is to make it feel less like an 'arty' print and more like a functional piece of graphic design (hence the involvement of writers - I want to make sure it has some substance/functionality)

RE the SNES - It's something I've thought about but if I'm honest I feel that it's been done well enough already in several places - TKOG and gamepaused tees being a perfect example:

nt0060w-zoomekisyou01.jpg

gp07-gallery1.png

I'd prefer to do something less obvious.
  • My MD print is stunning so i'll be down for more.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Will have more to show soon.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I love Gamecube.

The thing about the controller is that its look put some people off but i have never used a better controller when it comes to ergonomics - it literally melts into your hand on 1st party games. The slightly iffy dpad is the only weakness.

Booted up MK Double Dash the other night with the kids....I'm convinced it's the best version I've played.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Totally agree - it had been a few years since I'd held one until recently and it shocked me how small the pad felt - it's definitely one of the last consoles that appears to have been designed with the needs of Japanese gamers in mind - and i think it's all the better for it.
  • Greatest pad ever IMO. Wavebird added the perfect amount of heft to it as well.
  • Lovely project, although anyone who thinks the GC pad was really the best ever needs to reacquaint themselves with the 360 one again.

Also, in terms of rampant pedantry, isn't this just a direct successor?  Why spiritual?
  • Well I suppose you could class it as direct - although technically wouldn't it need to be at least Sega related?

I guess it's a little less wanky than "from the people who brought you..." - or - "from the executive producer of..."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    GameCube wave bird pad 4 life. Dat nippy little c stick
  • I'll hopefully have some news on who's involved in doing the writing for the prints next week too...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh yeah, forgot you were gettin journo bits on it. Excited
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    £100 for Stanton
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    GameCube wave bird pad 4 life. Dat nippy little c stick

I have 4 or 'em. The one I use for player 1 is silver. They appear to have been fitted with everlasting batteries.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    £100 for Stanton

?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd pay that for him to write some GC love
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    Lovely project, although anyone who thinks the GC pad was really the best ever needs to reacquaint themselves with the 360 one again.

Pah, GC pad is greatest of them all, closely followed by the Wii Classic Pro and the N64 pad. Special shout outs to the original Dual Shock, the SNES pad, and the 360 controller.

I'm going to be all over this project like a tweenager lass on One Direction.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!