Just completed
  • 750m? That's plenty enough!
    Plugging it in every session is annoying though.
    Steamlink comes recommended, cheap as chips now.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • hunk wrote:
    750m? That's plenty enough! Plugging it in every session is annoying though. Steamlink comes recommended, cheap as chips now.

£2! that's insane, thanks
  • Really? I'd have thought the requirements would be higher by now. It generally lives under the TV, I just borrowed it to test Linux distributions a while back and haven't returned it yet because PS4.
  • My 555M manages to run the game in 1080p no problem.
    Generally the 555m soc rivals the performance of a standard PS4 and xbone (900p)
    A 750m is quite a bit more powerful than that, I'm guessing it should rival the ps4 pro (1440p?)
    If games are properly optimised of course.

edit:
    Okay, probably not PS4 pro 1440p levels but 1080p at low/mid settings should work.
  • Djornson wrote:
    hunk wrote:
    750m? That's plenty enough! Plugging it in every session is annoying though. Steamlink comes recommended, cheap as chips now.
    £2! that's insane, thanks

No problem!
    Steamlink at that price is a steal, grab it while you can.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Postage on top?

I think I'm getting a TV with it inbuilt which is kinda funky
  • hunk wrote:
    My 555M manages to run the game in 1080p no problem.
    Generally the 555m soc rivals the performance of a standard PS4 and xbone (900p)
    A 750m is quite a bit more powerful than that, I'm guessing it should rival the ps4 pro (1440p?)
    If games are properly optimised of course.

edit:
    Okay, probably not PS4 pro 1440p levels but 1080p at low/mid settings should work.

Maybe I need to fiddle with it more or something; it's always seemed less powerful than a base PS4 to me.
  • https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-750M.90245.0.html

It's getting on a bit but the card should play most older games in 720p@ 30-60fps. Try tweaking the Nvidia panel for even better performance.I set most settings to performance (higher framerate) at the cost of quality.

Some newer games run a bit shit on it (Batman AK, DS3) but those are arguably shitty unoptimised pc ports with even higher gpu's struggling.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Detective Pikachu (3DS)

A solid 'my first point-n-click'. You don't need a knowledge of Pokey Mans to complete it, but it doesn't hurt. It also gets a bit obtuse towards the end, with some 'solutions' feeling a bit forced. But generally things make sense and it's fun walking around talking to people and collecting clues.

Yes, it's impossible to fail, and the QTEs are generous to a fault. But the gruff Pikachu character carries it. He's more detailed than a lot of the humans you meet. (And I don't mean just in terms of personality. A lot of the support cast will be used in future to demonstrate the uncanny valley.)

Oddly, the big twist that you'll see coming from about the second chapter never actually happens, so it looks like the devs have left the door open for a sequel. Whether or not we'll see one, or even need one, I'm not sure.

[6]
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • My laundry basket.
    I'm sure some people won't believe me but it is possible to empty it but it is bloody tough.

Generally quite repetitive, fetch quests to the washing machine soon get dull.

Endgame of clean clothes is nice.

The essential yet walled off clothes airer dlc leaves a sour taste.
    [4]
  • Super Castlevania

Blazed through in circa 2hrs (sans save states that would probably have doubled)... Pretty kewl overall, felt a bit cheap in places and as ever dem Mode 7 bits look a bit rough now; where they once caused smelly MD owners to cry wank in their dank, grotto-like hovels.

So enjoyed replaying it for the first time in (fucking gasp) nearly thirty years. From memory I had it closer in quality to SOTN but that was the nostalgic miasma at work. Still, tis a good horror romp with some rocking tunes.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Did the mode 7 make you feel sick
  • One lvl did: where the whole background rotated like being on the inside of drum. Other Mode-7 bits were just a bit fugly. 

Otherwise, the sprite-work and backgrounds hold up quite well.
  • Still one of the best OSTs
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    My laundry basket. I'm sure some people won't believe me but it is possible to empty it but it is bloody tough. Generally quite repetitive, fetch quests to the washing machine soon get dull. Endgame of clean clothes is nice. The essential yet walled off clothes airer dlc leaves a sour taste. [4]

Top work, Live. Getting to the bottom of the laundry basket is one of my all time goals. Haven't quite made it yet. Recently levelled up my washing machine though so no longer get side tracked by the dropped sock glitch.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Gorogoa

Great puzzle structure, introduces new concepts really well then gradually mixes them with others or tweaks slightly to keep it interesting. At first, I thought you could fudge your way through by trial and error but that seems more to be part of the learning curve and pretty quickly I realised I didn't have to rely on that. I struggled to work out the solutions to puzzles in The Witness but this was the perfect level for me - a few points where I was temporarily stuck but nothing that stopped me in my tracks.

Excellent visual style, the movement of tiles, overlapping, etc was incredibly intricate and the visual clues, though sometimes very subtle, were so well designed. Particular shout out to the cog puzzles, so damn clever.

The only real downsides were that I didn’t really grasp much of a plot and, while not necessary, there clearly is something. The decision to have no explanation, written or vocalised, fits with the minimalist aesthetic but felt it left gaps that might have made it more intriguing in context.

Considering the gap here, I thought they could’ve at least done more with the sound or music but it was all very boring atmospherics. A big trick missed there I think.

It also didn't outstay its welcome and I particularly liked the end sequence with the quick fire puzzles to complete the set of globes, bringing back concepts from earlier in the game.

Overall it was a just a cool, engaging game. Not the best descriptor but while it was a bit ‘light’ in some aspects, I really enjoyed playing it and it certainly helped that it did a good job of making me feel probably much smarter than I actually am.

[8]
  • Donkey Kong Country. Another short (think 2-ish hrs), sweet, blast from the past.

There's a wonderful sense of weight to the characters and the controls surprised (I'd forgotten) me by just how sharp and responsive they are.

Got the sequels downloaded; looking forward to playing them for the first time and seeing how Rare expanded/improved upon this excellent platformer.
  • Tropical Freeze should be a nice treat if/when you pick up a Switch.   For a game that's sort of considered lower top tier of 16-bit platformers I think DKC is legit.  Tried to play the third one recently but wasn't feeling it, no.2 is supposedly the best of the old bunch.
  • First one for a while:

Life Is Strange
    The biggest compliment I can give this game is that I actually finished it (even if it took me nearly a month), which is a first for me with this sort of dialogue trees and light puzzles style of game. The reason really is that the characterisation between the two leads is very strong, and the relationship between them convincing. That and the way the choices you make stack up over the course of the chapters, leading to some interesting moral dilemmas and unforeseen effects. It still struggles to inject worthwhile gameplay elements in at times, and some of the support cast and plot devices are overly cliched, but the overall result remains effective.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    On holidays so far I have finished -

West of Loathing
    Yokus Island Express
    Mario Tennis Aces adventure mode
    Donkey Kong DLC for Rabbids

I have enjoyed them all
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC)

A wonderful end to the one of best RPG trilogies ever made. Might even be my favorite of the series, in how it manages to not only bring everything to a lovely conclusion but also through compact and clever means succeeds to summarize and evolve all the gameplay systems, themes and character relationships from the previous parts.

The question is: what the hell am I going to do now.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I get to post in here about once every year or two because I am absolutely diabolical when it comes to completing single player / offline games.

Titanfall 2

This was a fantastic game, and while only 7 hours long I really enjoyed my time with it. I played on regular difficulty as I knew my attention span would suffer if I got stuck on an area but I must say, the platforming was a real treat in this. I also found the music to be very, very good. The track SERE Kit in particular was very well put together.

The relationship you build with BT is also put to great affect in the closing act. A superb campaign all round. I can see why people were impressed with this on release, going from no campaign to one of this quality is quite the feat.

Other than that, I guess I am a bit late to the party to partake in PvP but I might go through the campaign again on a higher difficulty.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    MP will be rock hard to get into now, anyone still playing it will be an expert. The OG MP was better anyway.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I've cleared the Octo Expansion for Splatoon 2, and as I'd mentioned elsewhere, it's transformative for that game. Some mild spoilers ensue, all tagged up.

First things up, the octo really runs through the game. At the start you are given your 80 levels to complete, and then
    Spoiler:
    . It's a meaty expansion. Now granted, some of these levels are a single idea, or in one or two cases, a single shot, but it's the sheer inventiveness that shines through. I've mentioned the comparison to Mario Galaxy before, but that's what this game is - they've looked at the limited mechanics in the same way the galaxy crew looked at Mario's move set and decided to throw everything they have at it . And those are incredible.

There's virtually nothing from the main game reused here - well, aside from 8 (Oho) or so levels that have you kill octolings a la the multiplayer or do variations on tower or rainmaker. Then there's the care that's gone into the dialogue and localisation. From the inane chats in the log, to the early midi-esque versions of songs they bring up as demos, to the level names themselves (shout out to
    Spoiler:
    to which are all late 80s -90s references, some really fucking out there - the opening level being called
    Spoiler:
    was setting the scene. That, plus filling the backgrounds with all sorts of
    Spoiler:
    really did it for me, as a guy born in 1984.

And the challenge. Fucking hell some of these levels push you to a monkey ball like trance. Fuck the baby mode Nintendo chat, if you can do all 80 here then you've got splatoon on lockdown .

It's added 15 hours to my playlog of Splatoon 2, it's the best thing I've played all year, and if you're solely put off by the aesthetics then I feel bad for you son, there's 80 levels, but ain't a bad one.

Goty, fuck the rules.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'm still having sleepless nights when I realized Tom Nook and C. Q. Cumber come from the same mind.

"test failed"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    C Q Cumber is as much a scumbag it's true
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    I get to post in here about once every year or two because I am absolutely diabolical when it comes to completing single player / offline games. Titanfall 2 This was a fantastic game, and while only 7 hours long I really enjoyed my time with it. I played on regular difficulty as I knew my attention span would suffer if I got stuck on an area but I must say, the platforming was a real treat in this. I also found the music to be very, very good. The track SERE Kit in particular was very well put together. The relationship you build with BT is also put to great affect in the closing act. A superb campaign all round. I can see why people were impressed with this on release, going from no campaign to one of this quality is quite the feat. Other than that, I guess I am a bit late to the party to partake in PvP but I might go through the campaign again on a higher difficulty.

The campaign is sooo good. So much variety and everything is so cool.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Completed Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak again on Classic diff. It's still a short but mostly sweet RTS in an age where they're a rare beast now. Relatively simple units with potentially complicated executions, the early game units mean you have to make heavy use of sand dunes to block enemy line of sight when advancing and planning defense but this finesse fades eventually with the introduction of artillery, super heavy armour and air units. Probably the reason they're introduced so relatively late since they realised.

The sand dunes can be very pretty for an otherwise modest looking game.

D935CE1FC1E04CAA2FB7D696FDEB0582E6AFBD79

20EA6D2360ABF465633B3560229E87D8B4B77D5E

0D75E4AB10587EE717FC7DCA4009F0E33A9E7523
  • Ori and Blind Forest Definitive Edition.

Comments in the Ori thread but summary is: starts good and gets more irritating as it gets harder, and needs more polish to the level design.  And the last two escape sequences are trash tier.
  • Dark Souls Remastered. It's Dark Souls. Remastered. The best game ever given some extra smoothness and glossiness. What's not to like? Utterly wonderful from start to finish. I'm already planning the next character build.

And FWIW I found the extra polish made a real difference. I found it easier to see things, and easier to time actions. Also playing through headphones gave a big boost to the sound, with loads of effects that were either new or I'd just not heard before, and the surround really helpful in keeping track of enemies.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!