Just completed
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I loved 1-3.
    By the time I got around to 4 I felt like I was done with the series.
    I played on through for a fair old bit until a glitch meant I had to start a chapter over. Without the forward momentum I never went back to it.
    It's not a bad game by any stretch, it is actually quite good. Just felt a bit last gen.

I never played 4, or 5. J did a lot of stuff that felt appropriate for a game following up a pretty consistent sequel: lots of remixing approaches and ideas to levels, no need for consistency, lots of modifiers they could drop in and out, plenty of getting pushed into playing outside your comfort zone. Sort of like a Best Of or Collected Hits album.
  • Having played 4 first and then going back to 1-3 maybe my perception is different but there was a marked distinction with 4 in terms of quality, character weight, gunplay and little things like being able to vault over cover by pressing B instead of having to go into cover first and then jump over that all add up to a ‘better’ or at least more modern experience while still retaining the gears feel. The set piece with the giant robot at the end is awesome. The vehicle bits in the first two games were mostly frustrations, 3 was better and 4 nailed it with the robot.
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Also didn’t like the scoring system with judgement made it feel too gamey/arcadey for me, it would have been good to have it as an option instead of mandatory.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Judgment is a bit like Arkham Origins, flawed, which garners it a lot of hate, but quite interesting at the same time.
    Tempy wrote:
    I never played 4, or 5.

It'd be impressive if you'd played Gears of War 5, given it's not out yet.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Early Access. Tempy plays all games before rest of us and we are always playing catch up.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • We all know how much of a shill he is for AAA stuff.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Judgment is the right track for gow, turned it into a time attack /score game. Fully enjoyable
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    4 was turgid in comparison
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    4 was turgid in comparison

I enjoyed all the GoWs so far, but I would agree with that. GoW4 is to GoW as Resi 5 is to Resi. It's not as shit as people say, but not great either. I'm looking forward to GoW5, hopefully that's not the GoW equivalent of Resi 6.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Steamworld Dig 2
    Played most of this over the last 3 days and racked up 11 hours by the end. I did get most of the secrets and artifacts along the way though (then polished the last few off with a guide after).

Anyway I enjoyed it. It's quite sedate for the most part and easy to get absorbed into, just tunnelling little paths through the mines, find a hidden cave, solve a puzzle for a power up, and on you go. There's nothing there I haven't seen before, but it's all well made and has a nice rhythm to it.
  • It's a great sequel.. adds some nice variety and little touches over the original.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Gears of War: Ultimate Edition

Definitely worth the £3.75 I paid for it, but I probably would have been disappointed if I picked it up at launch for RRP. It's been visually over-hauled, but it's OG GoW, exactly as you remember it. That means your AI companions are morons, enemy AI are likely to make bizarre decisions, and cutscenes involving just Delta Squad frequently end with you in the middle of a firefight against hordes of Locust that definitely weren't there two seconds ago. It's still a lot of fun, and probably the best GoW story (in that it makes a modicum of sense unlike later titles), despite all the hyper-masculine posturing. But I feel that calling it "Ultimate" is a bit rich, when none of the gameplay improvements from later titles have been implemented into the GoW1 campaign, for example. "Gears of War HD" or "Xbox One Edition" would have been more accurate. The trailers make it sounds like they've made GoW 1.5, but it's more like GoW 1.1.

If anyone wants to do a co-op run on Hardcore/Insane, send me a PM.

[7] chain-sawings out of [10] active reloads.
  • 14. Life is Strange: Before the Storm (XB1)
    Didn’t like it as much as Roujin, but it’s one hell of an emotional ride. And great OST. That title and menu music is amazing. Plucks away at my heart. Probably will buy the OST. By some British indie band called Daughter.

Overall I like it better than LiS. Doesn’t lose focus on what it’s trying to achieve or the story it’s telling. Just a tad slow that’s all but needed to flesh out the characters.

[8]
  • Fuck it, I’m gonna start LiS again soon. Just wanna see it all fit together. If it indeed does.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Halo: CE Anniversary, solo, legendary, for the umpteenth time, but my first run in a while, and the first, I believe, through the entire anniversary version of the game (I bought it at release, but don’t think I ever played through it).

The anniversary update is a triumph, it looks glorious, with some sections causing me to have to stop and just enjoy the artistry put into the textures that have been slapped on top of the architecture which itself remains unparalleled in its scale and design (special mention here to The Library which looks incredible). I also love the focus of CE in particular. The fact that it all happens on this weird alien world with occasional detours onto a couple of ships gives it a sense of coherence that I’m not sure that later Halos could ever live up to. Similarly from a narrative perspective, it’s all so self-contained with mystery, wonder and threat instead of later games’ embrace of alien politics, backstories and convoluted, galaxy-hopping stories.

I was also going through and collecting achievements which isn’t something I normally do, but the achievements in the MCC have been nicely thought out and offer some additional challenges. Many involve completing levels under certain conditions (no jumping, no taking health damage, no switching weapons on Two Betrayals, kill every elite on Keyes etc) whereas many of the others are awarded for seeing Easter eggs or reaching skulls or terminals in tricky locations so they seemed worthwhile this time around.

But the thing that really stuck with me throughout this is just how well put together the basic game is. I’ve banged on about the holy trinity of guns, grenades and melee in here before, not to mention the recharging shields for you and the elites and the risk/reward that engenders, but one other thing became clear here was that at one point or another in the game, every weapon available to me was the best tool for the job at hand and was the weapon I sought out. The last two or three levels saw me mostly going ham with a shotgun, perhaps using a pistol alongside it to push back elites until I was close enough to drop them with my shotty, or with a needler to sneakily thin out numbers, or a rocket launcher to explode those vents.

Plus, I always love revisiting those great battles. Storming the beach on the Silent Cartographer, the Scorpion rampage on Assault on the Control Room, the entire Final Run section of Two Betrayals. Being given some tools plus a huge open area of enemies that need dealing with is great fun, and something which you saw less of in the later games, to their detriment.

Unquestionably the GOAT for me despite the daftness of

Spoiler:

Onto Halo 2.
  • Finally finished my Avelorn playthrough in Total Warhammer 2, the short victory with the Mortal Empires campaign. Still some unfinished business to attend to, but that was some truly epic stuff.

Highly recommended.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There's world of light mode in smasho done. That thing keeps on going huh. Thankfully I've got to get in practice for people this Friday coming round.
  • Did you get the true ending?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I did indeed but only 95.60% so back in for me
  • Will doing it on easy affect any unlocks for me?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Don't think so except for unlocking git gud. Just hit the hundo so now time for
    Spoiler:
  • What was your toughest fight reg?
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mine were
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    and
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Who you maining? I've usually been Ness, but found myself using Bowser for a good whack
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh also I found
    Spoiler:
    tough at the end of the game
  • I used DK for 90% of World of Light but switched to Bowser towards the end. Bowser has definitely changed in this one, he doesn't feel as heavy as before.
    Also his Smash special thing is quite handy, especially when you unlock the ability to get two cracks at it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Aye Bowser's smash X2 allowed me knock out several of the most difficult fights
  • Halo 5 campaign
    It was alright, I guess. The gunplay was good and I enjoyed being able to actually aim. The aerial slam and running slam move seem unnecessary, as does the boost, doesn’t really add anything to the game. Though I suppose they had to do something to switch it up. 

I’ve never thought Halo had the greatest story, but it was relatively clear what was going on, at least in the first 3 games. In this, I literally have no fucking clue where I am or what is going on, it is very incohesive. Like when locke goes from hunting chief to siding with him, it is handled dog shit. Cortana is pointless in this, fan service is the only reason she’s there. Arbiter is underused, chief is underused. 
    The plot is shit, basically, which is a shame. 

I enjoyed my time with it overall but it immediately got uninstalled the second I finished it. It also makes me want to go back and play the first games on MCC. 

7 broken space helmets out of 10 token black guys.

• Generous for that campaign. MP is as good as it gets for halo outside heyday. And dedicated servers are epic.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yeah it is generous I guess. I haven’t played a halo campaign for about 3 years though so that may have coloured my opinion. Like I said, I enjoyed the gunplay quite a lot and it dragged me through the story.

The graphics were a bit disappointing too, quite bland and some jaggy edges in places, not seen that on any other 4K game on the X. The art direction in places was good though.

My views will probably change for the worse after going back through MCC!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!