Pro Wrestling
  • Are AEW going to show Punk vs Perry via security footage on Wednesday?

That's kinda genius.
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    I'm totally in for Hitman Hollis v Jake Frost at Clash At The Castle.

I'd call in my big pal Gav McIntyre, biggest Gers fan I know.

If anyone wants to approach me in the locker room and offer an alliance where I turn heel on my tag partner for money/a shot at gold, I can be got at. I have my price.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Frosty gets Kaz Mysterio

Time to dig out my old mask.

HDOPVDu-S-400x400.jpg
  • GOLD
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Very good stuff :)
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Are AEW going to show Punk vs Perry via security footage on Wednesday? That's kinda genius.

Yeah apparently Tony Khan wasn't mad after the Punk interview so don't put it in the paper that he was mad. There was a lot of not mad going about over the weekend as Triple H was also not mad about not getting Will Osprey, Okada, and Mone. Very strange.

I think it's a terrible idea and they really need to just move on from Punk and not be so gotten too all the time but I'd obviously very much like to see it.

Got Joey Janela's SpringBreak clusterfuck royal rumble on in the background and it's really bad and long but also has had some really stupid bits that have made me laugh. Supposed to involve Nick Gage and Yoshihiko so I'd quite like to see that.

Someone has just come out and everyone has stopped to sing Teenage Dirtbag adn drink beers. Very strange.

Ah crowd chanted play it again so they played it again. Heel move though from the sound guy as he cut it off.

Bet it's probably really fun live.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah it's been a bit weird. AEW has had a bad week, hold they will recover from it. Osprey is my current Boo. Think Frosty is right in nailing the NOT MAD HONESTLY.
  • Frosty wrote:
    Very good stuff :)
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Are AEW going to show Punk vs Perry via security footage on Wednesday? That's kinda genius.
    Yeah apparently Tony Khan wasn't mad after the Punk interview so don't put it in the paper that he was mad. There was a lot of not mad going about over the weekend as Triple H was also not mad about not getting Will Osprey, Okada, and Mone. Very strange. I think it's a terrible idea and they really need to just move on from Punk and not be so gotten too all the time but I'd obviously very much like to see it. Got Joey Janela's SpringBreak clusterfuck royal rumble on in the background and it's really bad and long but also has had some really stupid bits that have made me laugh. Supposed to involve Nick Gage and Yoshihiko so I'd quite like to see that. Someone has just come out and everyone has stopped to sing Teenage Dirtbag adn drink beers. Very strange. Ah crowd chanted play it again so they played it again. Heel move though from the sound guy as he cut it off. Bet it's probably really fun live.

Was the clusterfuck worth watching in a so shit it's good sort of way? I generally dislike GCW but I may give it a go if it's a laugh. I caught about 5 shows over the weekend and I wasn't really that impressed by anything. Hitchcock and Stardom were decent, I thought ROH was really disappointing. I love that Mark got his big win as he's one of my favourites, but it didn't feel built well.

I can't wait to see this Punk footage. I think he's a tremendous wrestler but an utter bellend. There is a chance it backfires completely, but surely they're only going to play this if it makes Punk look like a tit? Like if Perry choked him out after being provoked? Otherwise it will just make Punk look like some sort of martyr for the tribalists?

Lastly, so Seth's booking. Is he on his way out? Don't want him anywhere near AEW.
  • It is absolutely not worth watching. I felt like I had it on for ages but must have only been halfway through. Total garbage but was fine to have on while I was working.

Did you see the other good news of the weekend? Matt Hardy's contract has expired and he is now a free agent. Hopefully he turns up on raw and I never need to see him again

Also @Dogfingers can you to dm me the special links to the cmll match against the bcc and the Danielson match against blue panther if you have them? No idea where to get cmll shows it turns out.
  • Sent you the bcc one. I cannot find the singles with Danielson anywhere.

Yeah Matts been slow for a while now, I don’t mind him that much as like a jobber on Rampage, but there’s little point in him taking up space on that roster, the pair of them just don’t seem mobile enough to go anymore.

• Last five minutes of clusterfuck was class. Final 3 of Microman, Yoshihiko and Nick Gage and all to play for. 

Nick Gage has an aura and him beating the shit out of Yoshihiko and playing it totally straight was just a really fun time.

Definitely not worth the preceeding two hours of the match though
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Frosty gets Kaz Mysterio

Would Kaz not just be... Kaz?

FP_WRESTLING.png
  • Really enjoyed the second night of Wrestlemania. Watched the whole thing. Highlights were the first match and the last but there was lots of good stuff in between. Incredible that that main event was something they had to pull out of their asses. They got everything right.
    Other stray observations having watched almost no wrestling in about two decades -
    I haven't seen much of Seth Rollins but I hate him and his outfits and his stupid walk to the ring and was glad he repeatedly got the shit kicked out of him across several events.

Randy Orton is great. Logan Paul is the best heel they've got.

Finishers have gone wrong. Every match seemed to need multiple finishers to er finish someone. I noticed it last night and it was even worse in the second night. Aside from the finishers there were some really good moves that could have been used to finish a match but didn't. That avalanche German suplex by LA Knight was brilliant.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Finished the set by staying up and watching Raw. If you want to see a little more awesome Wrestlemania stuff, watch Raw. Another great one take shot as well.
  • Jesus Reg you must be absolutely dead. Hopefully the Rocks mana keeps you going until you can finally sleep.  I am glad you had such a lovely time this weekend.

Should do a big forum trip to wrestlemania for the lads.
    monkey wrote:
    Finishers have gone wrong. Every match seemed to need multiple finishers to er finish someone. I noticed it last night and it was even worse in the second night. Aside from the finishers there were some really good moves that could have been used to finish a match but didn't.

The finisher stuff has been going on for ages in North American wrestling "epics". In the big ppv matches the baby face never gives up and the heels are too tough to be put down that they all need multiple finishers to get it done.  Usually the finish is whoever is winning has to find another way to get it done as the regular finisher isn't working so it's usually 3 of them, the finisher but off the top rope, or if it's the heel then it's a belt shot or a low blow.

Think it started with John Cena but not sure. I don't think it's great as it's been totally overdone but it is what it is. Think I prefer the more counter based finishes where they can't get it off as I don't normally buy the near falls from regular finishers in the big US matches anymore.

I really loved the Danielson approach when in the lead up to his match with Hangman Page he worked his way through the dark order and in each match established a different move as a match finisher so that in the big ppv match if he locked in one of the 5 or 6 moves he'd established as a finisher you didn't know if that was going to be it. Drama out the ass.
  • Randy says a lot of good stuff here:

Particularly how production can't get good shots if you constantly transition from one high spot to the next. Also Punk escapes the RKO several times in that match, but when it finally hits, that's it.
  • Twice in a Lifetime I remember was laughed at as being Smackdown Vs Raw with infinite finishers enabled.

There are ways to get around multiple finishers being an issue. The most obvious one is that the opponent rolls out of the ring. Another is that it takes too long to get a cover, or can only drape themselves over rather than hooking the leg. Or they can be too close to the ropes and we get a rope break. If there is a manager, they can cause a distraction so the ref misses the count, or delays it.

I do also like the 'debuts a new finisher,' but obviously this is going to have to be fairly limited. Bryan had another great example of this in the SummerSlam match where the flying knee came out. It felt like he had to win, but we couldn't see how he was going to beat Cena with a submission. Then he did the knee and we went "oh yeah, that will do it".
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    Jesus Reg you must be absolutely dead. Hopefully the Rocks mana keeps you going until you can finally sleep.  I am glad you had such a lovely time this weekend.

Should do a big forum trip to wrestlemania for the lads.

Would love that. Will be aiming for Smackdown / Clash in Glasgow. I'm lucky that I'm in the middle of two and a bit weeks of school holidays, but my sleep cycle is absolutely fucked to bits.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Decided my favourite moment of all Wrestlemania was Kevin Owens telling a truck to suck it.
  • Man, this was solid GOLD...

That Philly crowd sure knows how to raise the roof! :)
  • That's some good stuff, that.

Is the thing in the hand known? Also what's the official reason Rocky is offski?
  • Don’t know what he gave him, but he’s defo off with movie commitments.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Rock is making a movie, back in time for Summerslam, no one knows what the thing in hand is. A new macguffin.

The belt bit is the best bit of the whole segment, real sleaze hitting rock, fair play to him for doing that.
  • Watched a history of Cody Rhodes thing. Knew about AEW and how that all happened but didn't know much about before that. Fair play to him.

There's something about him I like but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe because every time I see him I think of that Real Bout Fatal Fury cover.
  • Watched a history of Cody Rhodes thing. Knew about AEW and how that all happened but didn't know much about before that. Fair play to him. There's something about him I like but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe because every time I see him I think of that Real Bout Fatal Fury cover.

I think the thing about Cody is that's he's not afraid to be absolutely earnest, and handled correctly that can make for incredibly powerful connections with the audience. He doesn't come off as fake, with the exception of the brief fuck up where he handed the Mania keys to Rock, but they fortunately course corrected that pretty quick and it resulted in possibly the greatest WrestleMania main event of all time.

He's what we could have had with John Cena if Vince had fucked off years ago.
  • Yeah, I think you're right. He's good watching. Way more intriguing than Roman and could probably go both baby and heel and still be a draw. Fair play. I've been very very critical of modern WWE but recently it's been nowt but hit after hit.

On that note, their now parent company UFC are holding their 300th numbered pay per view this weekend. As close to a 'mania as MMA fans will get, evrty single fight from the top of the main card to the first prelim of the night is a banger, and I dunno, it'd be cool if some grap folks end up tuning in. Let's come together. Right now. Oh yeah.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I can't help but dislike Rhodes. Probably because he is 'too real' when I'm used to wrestlers being so gloriously OTT. U get the same with Zayn.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm just here for the glorious one takes like the Raw one from Rhea to Liv to Dom to the Ring in Raw on Monday and await a response from our overlord G.

I have heard on podcasts that since the departure of Vince they're really invested in cameras and operators, and you can see that with the in ring pre match stuff now as an easy example. A lot of people praising the camera operations at Wrestlemania.
  • The guy who took over from Kevin Dunn (rest in piss) came from ESPN, so he actually knows what he's doing.
  • I think like a lot of babyfaces, the chase for will end up being better than the run with the title for Cody.

Really wish Becky would drop the missile dropkick from her moveset. It's easily the worst I've seen. Just a big back bump from the top rope. Go back to being a suplex and submission machine, like the Bexploder to the barrier she hit on Rhea was great.
  • Honestly H, it's the same guys that have been doing the ringside cams for more years than I could begin to guess. Amazingly talented crew they have. Some of the best handheld work in the entire tv industry tbh, and that's a hell of a tough shift. These guys go for hours where my back would give out in a matter of minutes, and from a professional point of view, I'm consistently in awe of their work. Worth noting that several of their mainstay operators are quite old to still be doing that sort of work, which makes it all the more impressive.
    I haven't seen the Raw one take, as I only get to see highlights on YouTube, but I have noticed them doing a lot more of that sort of thing in recent months. The Sami Zayn entrance at Wrestlemania was brilliant. I'd be lying if I said I was paying that much attention to the camerawork at that point in proceedings, but it'll probably be done on a steadicam rather than just a handheld.

These things are really just production decisions tbh. They're clearly just being more receptive to new (old*) ideas to make the show better.
    *it's such a 90s thing tbh, and back then the long one takes were all done on cabled handheld cams. Think things like TFI Friday and pretty much every live kids Saturday show for the origins of this sort of move being popular. When I started in tv, I used to have to cable-bash they guys doing these moves, and after a few years, I'd be doing the actual camerawork myself.
    Those days are long gone for me now. Body just isn't up to it. The people that do predominantly handheld work make a good living, because the truth is, most of us just don't want to know about it any more. We're all getting old.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!