Science, it definitely still works bitches.
  • It's amazing how each discovery pushes the envelope and makes us realise how little we know.

I was listening to an interview with the Yale professor who discovered Dragonfly 44 galaxy. It's unique in that it's composed of 99.99 dark matter. It has some stars, but nowhere near the amount of an average galaxy.

What intrigues me though, and they don't have an answer as yet. Is that there is a correlation between supermassive blackholes at the centre of galaxies and the size of the galaxy. The black holes are somehow fundamental in star formation process of a galaxy (no one understands how). If Dragonfly 44 is 99.99 dark matter and has no black hole at the centre, then how did it become a galaxy and how did it give birth to its stars?

The James Webb telescope can't launch soon enough.
  • I see Pilot Wave theory is making a comeback as a possible explaination for Nasa's new EM drive.
  • I don't have a problem with the EM drive defying newtons third law. In the end it's myopic human understanding of the world around us that the 'laws' cant be defied or broken. We are learning new things all the time, if that means newtons 3rd law need a revision or general relativity needs a revision so what? Correct me if I'm wrong but general relativity now requires the addition of inflation, dark energy and dark matter for its explanation of the birth and current state of universe to work.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    In the end it's myopic human understanding of the world around us that the 'laws' cant be defied or broken.

What? Newtonian laws of gravity were replaced over 100 years ago by GR. Classical physics was wholesale replaced by QM. GR and QM will need consolidating for the maths to work. Breaking convention IS science. What's myopic is to read an article and presume the Third Law is wrong. Conservation of energy/momentum is the bedrock of science. Without it literally anything could happen and maths goes out the window entirely, as would this Universe. 

Anyhow, I came in here to promote the PBS Spacetime YouTube channel. Once you get past the T-shirts and Aussie accent it's rather good.
  • It's a very human centric viewpoint that from our tiny little insignificant planet. one of 200 odd billion in our galaxy, which is one of billions of billions of galaxies. That we can presume to define laws that govern the entire universe. Paradigm shifts happen all the time, you mentioned that yourself, CP to GR and so on. All I'm trying to say is it shouldn't come as a surprise that discoveries are being made that defy human created laws.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    It's a very human centric viewpoint that from our tiny little insignificant planet. one of 200 odd billion in our galaxy, which is one of billions of billions of galaxies. That we can presume to define laws that govern the entire universe. Paradigm shifts happen all the time, you mentioned that yourself, CP to GR and so on. All I'm trying to say is it shouldn't come as a surprise that discoveries are being made that defy human created laws.

I think I can safely say scientists are aware of this. I do have a problem with Newtons Third Law being so casually dismissed. The EM drive might work, and nonreciprocal interactions can be found in plasma physics when an external enviroment is involved, but that absolutely doesn't break the Third Law. Energy conservation has to be or we couldn't be having this conversation. 

Anyway, it's up for peer review so minds will come together and take a look. I personally think it's going nowhere but am ready to be proved wrong. I do however, absolutely guarantee that energy conservation will not go out of the window whatever happens*.

*unless the universe suddenly explodes/disappears.
  • The whole point of the conversation is that, technically, you can't talk in absolutes like that.
  • I did put in a disclaimer in case you didn't notice.
  • Except that disclaimer is an absolute and reads as an obvious joke.

Wait, you're not teasing, are you?
  • I'm not, no. If conservation of energy wasn't an absolute then 2+2 = (insert number here that's not 4), and the Universe no longer has any rules at all.
  • Then I think you missed the whole point. Also, I seem to remember that that two plus two doesn't always equal four.
  • AJ wrote:
    Then I think you missed the whole point.

Would this be a scientific or philosophical point?
  • Philosophical, obviously. But that doesn't change the fact that you can't say the third law of thermodynamics can't be wrong or incomplete.

Or, maybe, both; it gets confusing what's what when things are all theoretical.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    All the physics we have so far all depend on a closed system

Do we know if the Universe is a closed system?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I think it's closed on Sundays?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Proof of God?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • AJ wrote:
    Philosophical, obviously. But that doesn't change the fact that you can't say the third law of thermodynamics can't be wrong or incomplete.

Or, maybe, both; it gets confusing what's what when things are all theoretical.

Who was talking about entropy? I'm presuming you're talking about the first?
  • Yeah, had just woken up, kinda surprised I managed to type thermodynamics correctly.
  • AJ wrote:
    Yeah, had just woken up, kinda surprised I managed to type thermodynamics correctly.

So you're saying it might be wrong or need amendment? What would the Universe be like if it was a little bit wrong? Well numbers would be the first thing to go. One day 2 equals 2 and the next day it's 5. Equations would be meaningless. Laws couldn't exist. The Universe would lose all stability, so that's gone. So apart from saying it could be wrong innit could you explain how it's possible it could be wrong without sounding like a philosophy student? 

Most laws are probably a bit wrong, and GR is at best half right, and QM doesn't even offer an explanation, but the conservation laws sort of have to be right. Nobody knows what energy is, the question probably has no meaning. It's enough to say it can be described by numbers. The Universe seems to be built out of maths. Possibly literally. That's me getting philosophical. 

Anyhow, the maths must add up, and in order for that to be true you have to have conservation.
  • I'm going to assume this is semantics and we'd agree if we spent the time finding the right words. It'll take ages to find them, I'm at work now and have Last Guardian to play tonight.
  • It's really not semantics, conservation of energy must apply. The other rules are subject to change.
  • So how do you prove, without question, that our understanding of it is correct? I wasn't even aware we hire a solid definition for what energy is.
  • Our understanding of what is correct? If it appears I'm jaded it's because it's true. There isn't a definition of what energy is. I thought I'd mentioned that. What is it you don't understand?
  • Academic stuff has no relevance it seems these days. It doesn't matter that someone has taken a decade to study and think about a particular thing. WELL I THINK THIS, AND MY POINT IS AS RELEVANT AS YOURS, even though I never studied it, but I read on the internet how scientific laws are constantly being changed, so why not this or that one. Stands to reason innit? I read it on the internet and my point is therefore valid. Studying stuff is for morons, a wasted life. This seems to be where we currently stand.
  • So no, there is no proof that conservation of energy is true.
  • I don't know where we've give with this now, but I'm sure we're boring the fuck out of people.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Let love be your energy.  
    - Robbie Williams 
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    2+2=4 is a definition.
    Energy is a definition. But it's not (as I understand it) defined as "the thing that is conserved".
    I get that it's conservation is a pretty key underlying of fuckloads of stuff (perhaps even all of modern physics as we understand it), but that is still a non-analogus flavour of thing which could, just could, be wrong. Not saying it is, but equating any disagreeing stance with "saying 2+2=5" is getting boring and you've only do everything other twice.

Or let me guess I'm wrong but you won't elucidate why.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    It's all getting a bit 4chan in here.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I read about this EM engine and I think this

ka4KM.png

So if producing the x/gamma/microwave -ray photons doesn't voilate the third law then neither does the engine.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!