This Gen's Curios
  • AJ wrote:
    By that justification, we could include any game on WiiWare released after the first few months, couldn't we?
    No because most of what came out was shite. Those 3 however along with maybe another half dozen are good games. Look at the hype that surrounded Mega Man 9. The lack of coverage those 3 Konami ones got genuinely amazed me.

Need to work in my timing, obviously.
  • I'm too hurt to laugh. 3 Konami SNES throwback classics and no one knew they existed.

Not even a review from Gamespot. Wankers.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Condemned deserves a mention.
  • Really enjoyed Singularity - storyline was half decent, nice range of levels and enemies and even if there were a fair few nods to Bioshock it was reverential rather than outright plagiarism. 

Also thought Dark Sector was pretty decent and for a near-6 year old game it plays well still. 

Not sure if anyone' mentioned 50 Cent: Blood in the Sand. Play it on hard and it was a good challenge. Difficulty was fair and the upside of failing on a level was that you were directly responsible for Fiddy's death.
  • Ooh! Just thought of something that'd be perfect in here. Solar 2, released on Xbox Indie Games. Never really got that far in the missions, but building yourself up to a black hole and destroying the universe is surprisingly relaxing.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    You know I own that game and have never once played it

It has a pretty good online mode too - not sure how active it is now though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • AJ wrote:
    Ooh! Just thought of something that'd be perfect in here. Solar 2, released on Xbox Indie Games. Never really got that far in the missions, but building yourself up to a black hole and destroying the universe is surprisingly relaxing.

When Katamaris go bad

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    i posted this in the wii/wiiu thread, but Bit.Trip Complete on Wii is worth a look.

Aksys--Games_t_bit-trip-complete070212front.jpg
  • Dive Kick, anyone? It's an idea that really shouldn't work, but somehow ends up being a pretty strategic affair - or a total button-masher.

Either way, it's great fun with friends.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Loco Roco (PSP)
    Condemned (360)
    Rune Factory Frontier (Wii)
    Get schwifty.
  • I find Trauma Centre: Second Opinion to be deserving of a mention: like how Ace Attorney's gameplay has little in common with law and Mario Bros. plumbing this game probably plays nothing like actual surgery, but instead you have a pick-up-and-play game which uses the Wii Remote's pointer extensively in unique ways: each tool has its own purpose and optimal way to operate, and each procedure will require perfection of its methods. Getting through each stage is surprisingly fun and engaging, and even the most menial of tasks (like applying bandages) feels great to do as you line up the bandage with the stitch using the Wii Remote.

It's also got some of the best calibrated controls in the business, alongside a fantastic user interface. Choosing tools with the nunchuk was a stroke of genius -- one of the best uses of Nintendo's octagonal guides around the sticks ever. You'll soon commit each of the eight direction's tools to memory and then you're switching between tools without even thinking about it. Ace.

Masayoshi Sutoh worked on its general design, as well, as you can tell right down to its menu designs. Striking.

BwY98epIMAAYYNY.jpg

I have a feeling that had Trauma Team made it to Europe I'd be nominating it in this game's place, though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Trauma Centre is aces on Wii. Have both Second Opinon and its sequel New Blood which has 2 player co-op - however the sequel is in my towering pile of shame.

Rhythm Paradise Beat the Beat has been mentioned elsewhere but not in this thread. Well worth a go - the tougher levels require me to play with my eyes closed. A riot in 2 player.
  • Oh yes! I'd forgotten about Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise, definitely deserving of a mention. I've still yet to perfect all 50 stages: got 3 more Perfect Hearts to pick up.

Your comment about playing with eyes closed is testament to how much Nintendo got right with it: unlike the DS game you can actually play it without any visual aids at all, similar to how the GBA original worked.

There's a bunch of WiiWare/XBLA/PS gems (both indie and not-indie) I need to remember too, like MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade and Sujin Taisen: Number Battles. Bit.Trip Complete would be among those, for sure.
  • SPELUNKY. - I mean - THE NEXT GENERATION brought with it basically an infrstructure to play games that could probably have been made on an amiga 500.

Tsk.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hmmm..MaBoShi. I downloaded that and it just didn't click with me. I like the idea but I just didn't find it enjoyable. Maybe I should give it another go.
  • I got a bit too addicted to the "Circle" game in it: I think it may depend on whether the core mechanics click with you or not: I actually thought the "square" game wasn't fun myself.

It was a laugh watching a friend who's never play it figure it out without any explanation, though.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    It's not out yet, and the dev's are taking their sweet time on it, but I'm looking for to this:

Shame they're halting development. I think the team's working on a Meat Boy sequel.
    Never tried that game...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You've never tried Meat Boy? WTF dude get on it!!
  • There's a Meat Boy sequel on the way?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Not a true sequel I don't think

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!