It's the things from your childhood thread
  • They brought (some of) them back again, but these played a big part in shaping my tendency towards geekhood. Never got to play Necromunda but I always thought it looked good, AJ.
    blogdungeonsdragonsgamefront.jpg

e5bf_dungeons_and_dragons_red_box.jpg
    D%2526D+Expert+Mentzer.jpeg
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Zoids were great. This thread keeps giving and giving. 1688629-werebear.jpg Still have Fang at home. Treasured.

I had top left, while my brother had bottom left.

In other news, I rediscovered this recently;

For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • They brought (some of) them back again, but these played a big part in shaping my tendency towards geekhood. Never got to play Necromunda but I always thought it looked good, AJ.

Been trying to get people to play D&D with me for ages. Nobody seems interested. The two great things about Necromunda were that it wasn't stupidly expensive, like most GW games, and that it had light RPG elements. Wicked line-of-sight mechanic, too.

Skondo wrote:
    Aaaaaaaggghhhhhh! Crap browser. Anyhow, Star Fleet was great.

That was fine before you deleted it.

Also, Mod posted the Brian May/ Van Halen cover of the theme before. I'd go back and get it, but it's on a page with so many videos my laptop can barely handle it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This was ace too (had the bottom one with the loop) It was great for comparing matchbox cars for speed. Mother found the track was handy for giving me a whack when I deserved it...

1138_l.jpg

You attached it to the back of a kitchen chair and it came with an attachment that let you load about 4 or 5 sets of 2 cars onto it. There was a little lever you pulled to start each race - Jesus we had hours of craic with this - mates would come round with their matchbox cars to see whose was fastest.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • On a similar theme to Tiger's epic Werebears, my mate had this and I was eternally jealous of him.

mypetmonster.jpg
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Do you remember the audio cassette that came with your Werebear, Swirly? And it told you a story about the bears and how YOUR bear saved the day? In Fang's some jewel thieves had taken the bears and were going to hide them in the bears to get them through customs. Fang jumped out the window of the car and bit one of the tyres, preventing the thieves from making a getaway and saving the day.

Gums, the bottom right bear, is absolutely rubbish. No teeth. Sucker.
  • Wow, Roujin! I remember that!

D&D is interesting to me because some of the source material is great and I love character creation and inventing heroes/villains. My co-worker in Korea has ruined it for me though by being the biggest most enthusiastic-to-the-point-of-twatdom D&D fan ever.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    D&D has always been a bit of mystery to me.....the barrier to entry is getting enough nerds into one room.
  • Your D&D can go jump lol

DungeoneerFoil.jpg

Allansia.jpg
  • I had a matchbox set very similar to that davyk - was great fun. I'm sure the track was red, white and blue.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    D&D can indeed go jump.
    RM2_1000_Rolemaster_Box1989.jpg
  • They were great too. As were plenty of similar products...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSc05k8woUl3vmGfkymLKtBeVplvtQJ1fvvtlaNB16NkNiusXP
    lizard+king+cover.jpg
    DiffLW02a.jpg
    VRA3.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My cousins had this and it was quite a game. The board was a complex construction of different traps and obstacles - made Mouse Trap look quite pedestrian...

Treasure%20OTP%20no%20year%20PalBrad%2001.jpg

pic70069_lg.jpg

pic174204_md.jpg
  • I want pics of g man playing with his Dinky Toys and Hornby Dublo.
  • Wayofthetiger_book1.jpg

This was the best one.  What other kids book had your character bite off his own tongue to die without losing his honour?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Skondo wrote:
    I had a matchbox set very similar to that davyk - was great fun. I'm sure the track was red, white and blue.

Mine had yellow track. i can remember seeing it flash in the dark one night as we had stayed out too late and an irate ma was on the warpath....
  • Lone Wolf the Kai were the ultimate fucking best of those choose your own adventure books. Especially if you went through them in order. Thanks local library!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Noone ever get Scalextric?  Always wanted that.  There was a variant called TCR were you could change lanes too...

My cousin had Scalextric but his wee brother pissed on the track and it fucked it up.
  • FUCK YOU FANCY SHIT

stickle-bricks_53508_3.jpg
  • Yeah I had the pole position Scaletrix with the F1 cars, but it was a fucking arse to set-up, the tabs on the track pieces inevitably get snapped as your cack handed child-fingers attempt assembly and disassembly.

However, the one hour every six months that I could be arsed with it were pretty fun.

EDIT: DAT STICKLEBRICKS! (STICKLEBRIX?)
  • Ah, I dug some of those out of the attic recently. Great for, y'know, sticking.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    FUCK YOU FANCY SHIT stickle-bricks_53508_3.jpg

Stickle Bricks!!! Well remembered- not quite as bad to step on barefoot in the dark as lego but bad enough.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    frelek1.jpg

I liked this but my brother was well into it - he had the version that had the little motor.
  • AJ wrote:
    That lead me onto this, which was guaranteed to be the most noisy toy at school: pe1QN8Z.jpg
    That's my eleventh birthday present right there.  I think the one I wanted (Astro Shooter) was out of my parent's price range, but frankly this one has more charm, and I loved it.

AJ wrote:
    Lastly, Andy, these are what you're talking about, right?
    Nailed it.  I was having no luck googling 'squirty water games'.
  • I don't want to get into Fighting Fantasy again.  Last time we got into it I ended up buying about six copies of Deathtrap Dungeon.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    These were all the rage for a few months at the beginning of the 80s. You threw them at a wall or window and they sort of crawled down.
    user-image-1208283383_thumb.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not as flash as the pinball game but this was good fun...the marble went up the spiral track and then launched through the air toward the target. I had an old traditional bagatelle board at one time too. I fell out of the top bunk right onto it - no idea how I wasn't punctured by the nails but I wrecked by arm in the process.

MjM5WDQ1Mw=$T2eC16FHJGoE9nuQeV9eBQpO6Cd-OQ~~60_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Note this is the wimpy modern remake with the plastic cover - my old vintage version had no such contrivance.
  • davyK wrote:
    Noone ever get Scalextric?  Always wanted that.  There was a variant called TCR were you could change lanes too...

My cousin had Scalextric but his wee brother pissed on the track and it fucked it up.

I had Scalextric 300. It came with red and yellow Mini Clubmans. It was great fun and I played with it for a long time. My Airfix Lotus was unbelievably fast. I also had a TCR, the one with the zig-zag jam car. It was brilliant for about a month and then the cars didn't work as well and it made little difference if you bought new tyres, contacts or cleaned the track.

I'll have to post a picture of my still working Big-Trak.
  • I can't find a pic of the ones I remember, but I had some toy cars in around 1985 that changed colour if you put them in cold/warm water.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!