Halo, is it me you're looking for?
  • Why isn't reach canon?  Made sense to me.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Why isn't reach canon?  Made sense to me.

Made sense to me too.

To be honest i don't even know what canon means i just ignored that part
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Why isn't reach canon?  Made sense to me.

Doesn't follow the expanded universe, within the novels, graphic novels, terminals etc.
  • Oh.  I just assumed it was a prequel to Halo, and in that respect it made sense.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Oh.  I just assumed it was a prequel to Halo, and in that respect it made sense.

That's why it doesn't really matter in the bigger picture as most people will only be interested in the initial game arc. Was a strange decision from Bungie & MS at the time though. Especially as the EU story for the Fall of Reach was much better and could of been retrofitted with the addition of the Spartan III's who were expendable Spartans.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Reach isn't cannon?  Wow - didn't realise.

I love the sense of hopelessness in Reach; it's a feeling I'd not encountered before or since in a game.  

Music is fantastic, opening is awesome and the level where the dude blows himself up in the Covenant ship broke me heart the first time i played it.

Just love it!
  • 5 followed by 4. Both shit. As soon as those Prometheuns turn up the eyes roll and they're not worth playing anymore.

Dreadful addition to the games.

Basically halo with bungie creating them = awesome.

Halo with 343 industries = not so much

Halo 1,2,3, reach and Odst all superior to 4 and 5 cause bungie made them :)

• Reach much?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 4, C:E, Reach, 3, 2, 5, ODST for me. Two would be higher but I hate playing The Arbiter, ODST last as I play Halo to be Master Chief so it didn't do it for me. Still a great game but last for me.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    4, C:E, Reach, 3, 2, 5, ODST for me. Two would be higher but I hate playing The Arbiter, ODST last as I play Halo to be Master Chief so it didn't do it for me. Still a great game but last for me.

4 is so out of place. I really can't call that at all, v. It's just so awful in it's mechanics. The elites are a pile of turd compared to all the other games. The proms are terrible (and yes, slightly improved in 5, but I honestly couldn't call which of those campaigns I think is worse, but they are the bottom two by a looooong way.)

I think my order would be 3, CE, ODST, 2, Reach. .................4/5.

Reach could bump 2 if the campaign captured the essense of Reach FF. 

2 goes ahead of Reach because of Delta Halo etc. The highs are highs.

MP (online) order is probably: 3, 5, 2, Reach, 4.

If I did a "total package" order, I could probably move Reach up, as FF and additional Mp/patch stuff post Halo CE made it pretty darn awesome. 5 would also get a bump to mid table due to MP.

3 still top.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I can't quite put my finger on why I love 4 so much, perhaps because it gave life to the Didact and I'd read and envisaged him for long. Also loved the Chief and Cortana relationship more than ever. But if I think about which campaign I want to go through again, the first that springs in to my mind is always 4. Have you played it again recently? I know a number of people who's opinion changed greatly going back.

Currently going through them all again, LASO, do it a couple of times a year and I can't wait for 4 and to rediscover 5 after a year or so.

They're all very close so really it's hard to choose, they all have truly excellent qualities.
  • I promised myself i would resist doing this again.... :)  I am going to play through all again but current line of thinking:

SP = 3, Reach (up until space combat level its the best downhill from there), CE, 2, ODST, 5, 4
    MP = 5, 3, 4, CE (yes was online on PC), 2, Reach

If i rank MP on what i enjoyed 3 would trump 5 but every time i play 5 i think man this is such a great game. I don't play/enjoy much because dont have the time to invest in it like i used too
  • Maybe it's just me but legendary felt like a genuine challenge on the first few halos. Halo 1 will remain the most memorable (not the best) for me only cause I went to a mates house and had a go. I was astonished, there was nothing like it at the time. I came home sold my ps2 and bought a original xbox with halo. How often do you get individual games which are system sellers?

I used to love when friends and acquientances had never played halo. Playing the campaign in co-op with a newbie and seeing the world through their eyes was a delight. The snow level (assault on...) was a particular favourite. On normal you cross the bridge in 5 minutes. Heroic a few minutes longer. Legendary could be a 15-20 minute skirmish trying to inch your way across. Fantastic.

Personal opinion, it's not been the same franchise since bungie walked away/got screwed by Microsoft over the ip.
  • My main issue with 4 (apart from the awful Prometheuns) is the complete lack of any decent outdoor set pieces. The classic halo gunplay combined with the vehicles and emergent chaos just isn't evident anywhere.

You're very hemmed in a lot of the time, stages feel very linear and the AI of the elites is crap. The elites are crap full stop. Vehicles feel very grounded. I felt this even more in 5.
  • Currently playing through MCC with a mate starting from 1 on legendary. Almost finished it and am looking forward to 2 and 3.
    I never had an original Xbox but I played the first two heaps at friends houses. Plenty of nights of 16 player multiplayer with four TVs hooked up to four xboxes.

Lots of great memories. It's good to be back, been a long time. Probably shouldn't play titanfall right before though as there's been so many mistakenly thrown grenades.

3 was always my fave. Partly because it's the first I owned but also because it's brilliant. That theatre mode and being and to look at all the random chaos you create in slow mo was perfect.
  • Problems with 4 for me include the whole Chief and Cortana rubbish. Don't know what they were thinking. Plus Proms were boring to fight. And lack of great (outdoor) set pieces as chalice says.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I really wish I could see the game Vere sees. But even having read the books doesn't help me.
  • Well this is nice!! If you pre-order the season pass Halo Wars 2 on the MS store you'll get Halo Wars Definitive edition free! AND you could buy it using pay pal, get free HW: Definitive and cancel the pre order 10 days before HW2 is released!! HW Remaster is released in 6 days, HW2 Feb 18th!!
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Say what?!!

Can MS not take the game back?
  • Say what?!!

Can MS not take the game back?

Nooooo idea. But even if they do you'll get it for a good month or so beforehand!

Be able to tell on the 20th if it is there but it definitely doesn't differentiate between pre paid fully and pre ordered through PayPal/other means.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    To be honest, I was going to get HW2 anyhow.  Getting a free copy of HW just sweetens the deal.
  • I'm a fan of the Reach campaign too - for that sense of impending doom that the others don't have. 4 was by far the least enjoyable, so much so that I haven't bothered with 5.

Started playing through the MCC recently as well, it's just as much fun and as addictive as ever.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    4 was by far the least enjoyable, so much so that I haven't bothered with 5.

Probably for the best. 5 would have displaced 4 as least enjoyable no problem.
    Xbox / PSN - DongleUnlimited
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I keep dipping in to the campaign every now and then. It's so dreadfully dull but I want to keep trudging through to see how it all ends.

Didn't mind the 4 campaign truth be told but it did take two playthroughs to come to that conclusion.
  • 4 and 5 are enjoyable romps to me, on par with a gears of war or cod campaign. the others are way more than that.
  • Gremill wrote:
    4 was by far the least enjoyable, so much so that I haven't bothered with 5.

Probably for the best. 5 would have displaced 4 as least enjoyable no problem.

I can't even care enough to decide on ranking.

• Also, at Eagle Stadium for south Sudanese tourney. Will post media and links to games asap. Gonna be mental.
  • fuck me that brute with the fuel rod cannon on the landing platform in exodus when you are trying to evacuate civilians just before the depressing hopelessness starts, he's amazingly good with that fucking fuel rod cannon.
  • Did i mention how much i'm enjoying Reach Campaign? :) just had some fantastic set pieces that got the adrenaline going. 4 flying elites in a small space with only plasma repeater and shotgun as my friends following by super tough elite with concussion rifle, a real challenge and joy.
  • The intelligence of the elites still puts newer games to shame sometimes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!