The head-scratchy, rolly, twisty-turny physical puzzle thread.
  • Just a heads up that a lot of these will become redundant if the gravity on our planet changes or you go into space. Might not happen anytime soon but it was the first thing that came to mind.

Do love me some puzzles tho.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    lalala I'm not listening...
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • What if... gravity changes and all the puzzles become even more puzzling eh!?
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    How so change so? Now I'm wondering what if gravity was sentient and suddenly decided to repel ather atract

Shouldn't be a big issue ifnthe universe is a closed environment, but it would fuck us up on the small scale masively
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Think a perplexus puzzle's validity would be the least of my worries.
  • davyK wrote:
    The aforementioned Rush Hour. It inspired plenty of apps this one.

A thing I like about physical puzzles is the opportunity for well thought out design that doesn't require you to hold onto the box. I like them to be little self-contained units. Neat little pieces of design like this bring me joy. I have always liked looking at little travel chess sets and things like that.

rushHour.jpg
    TopSpinPhoto.jpg

Topspin was a favourite, the top piece rotates , the aim was to get the numbers in order.

I loved anything like these as a kid (except rubiks cubes) .

These were my childhood. Can't remember what happened to my numbers one though. Rush hour and perplexis is sitting beside my TV though.

Star wars one looks great
  • Well by childhood probably mean tween/teenhood.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yikes

• You'd have to be cramping hard by the end for sure
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Those last puzzles are insane. I'd consider it a life's work being able to do one of those!!!!!

The odd shaped ones seem to be easier. I remember having an irregular shaped puzzle and getting nowhere with it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Man the crowd is way into this.

I suspect the Japan vs China format is adding spice. There's the Tetris round in the puzzle head thread. The guy playing invisible mode and going for tetrises is pretty impressive.

Makes you wonder though. So many bone headed Westerners with short attention spans watching Cowell puppets and the East's youth are getting on TV doing this.
  • davyK wrote:
    Man the crowd is way into this.

I suspect the Japan vs China format is adding spice. There's the Tetris round in the puzzle head thread. The guy playing invisible mode and going for tetrises is pretty impressive.

Makes you wonder though. So many bone headed Westerners with short attention spans watching Cowell puppets and the East's youth are getting on TV doing this.

It's a TV show produced by Jiangsu TV in China called China's Biggest Brain. They basically have a load of people come on and perform amazing feats of quick thinking, memorisation etc.

They do all Chinese ones and then they also do international ones which take a Best of 5 format where 2 teams from China and another country compete. It's not an on running competition, as such, it's just people from 2 countries performing the same task head-you-head to win a point for their team with the winners just being the best team in that episode.

They've had UK teams before - I've watched those twice, and it was 1-1 overall.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Relieved (though not surprised) that we have peeps with the chops to compete. Surprised that we have the wherewithal to identify them.
  • davyK wrote:
    Surprised that we have the wherewithal to identify them.

Yeah, I'm not sure where the participants are sourced from - as far as I know, it's not a show with a UK equivalent. A lot of these format shows - The Voice or Take Me Out, for example - have versions globally, but I've never heard of a "Britains Biggest Brain". Still, they have to get them from somewhere, and we've had some seriously impressive participants. I might try and find videos later, if I remember.
  • Oh, I think our international TV channel shows that. As well as If You Are The One. Quality programming all round.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    These look interesting.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    guy in work gave up on this so gave it to me....

rguBZfk.jpg

What makes this tricky is that each layer is not symmetrical. You have to really focus hard on the diagram to see how each layer is made up. It's really a question of patience and thoroughness than puzzling because if you use the wrong piece on a layer and discover so later then you are totally screwed and may have to start all over again.

It's a dexterity test too - these pieces are tiny. The green base is only 8cm x 8cm.  There's a pacman one too if I finish this one.
  • And it’s stuck to the side of a wall!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.  I've never been clever with phone pics.....it's our kitchen island. :)

rotated.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Apparantly this is made of Loz Blocks.

Finished step 1 made up of 3 layers - you can see that in the foreground of the picture.
  • Oh wow, Multipuzzle. I often wonder what happened to mine (been lost for a very long time now).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    OK.

I've dusted off the Perplexus Epic. I never got anywhere with it when I first got it a few years ago - and setting myself a challenge to have it beat before Christmas - that's what - 11 weeks now?

Stated today and it's tortuously tough but I find it gives me the same feeling as playing an old school videogame with that infuriating try-try-try again mechanic.

I'm very fond of roll-em-up videogames too such as Monkey Ball and Kororinpa on Wii.

There are numbered checkpoints - 125 of them - got to 19 today.  ahem.

perplexus-epic-3d-game-sphere_448x640.jpg
  • I wanted one of these in 2014. I still want one, but I'm gonna wait 'til you've proved a normal human can clear it.
  • On a tangental note, I got a kick out of this...

amazing skills.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK wrote:
    guy in work gave up on this so gave it to me.... rguBZfk.jpg What makes this tricky is that each layer is not symmetrical. You have to really focus hard on the diagram to see how each layer is made up. It's really a question of patience and thoroughness than puzzling because if you use the wrong piece on a layer and discover so later then you are totally screwed and may have to start all over again. It's a dexterity test too - these pieces are tiny. The green base is only 8cm x 8cm.  There's a pacman one too if I finish this one.

But what is it?
    You rang.....
  • Outrun Donkey Kong?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I’ve got a Petronas Towers one that the wife got for me years ago from a business trip to KL. She couldn’t think of any thing else to get me. I still haven’t opened it!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Perplexus status report : best run : 45/125.

The basic design of the labyrinth is a set of really sticky obstacles with easier sections between. The easier sections become shorter as you progress however.
    That design is similar to the original Addictaball of which this is the sequel. This encourages you and develops a nice sense of progression. It's very old-school-try-try-again-videogame-like in that respect which is probably why I enjoy these. This gets hard earlier than in the original and you have a longer way to go to the end.  

Apart from navigating certain obstacles, things more often go wrong in two ways. First is speed - go too fast and you fly off the track. This becomes more common as you get better and try and race through an early section and get sloppy. There are sections of track that only have one wall and the puzzle starts changing what sides the retaining wall is on depending on the corner. Thankfully so far the wall is on the outside of the curves. But the walls do not overlap so negotiating these changes on a twisty section can be tricky and going too slow is usually a problem here.

Then there are the transitions between one type of track and another - probably the most common time to fall off. They will often involve a change of plane or at least angle - so a combo of the right speed and alignment of the sphere are required and it's so easy to get one of these wrong. The really nasty transitions can involve a 180 degree rotation of the sphere along more than one axis whilst keeping the ball anchored against two walls.

There is a section of twisty track at point 8 in this puzzle. I got past it first time and dozens of times subsequently with no issue. Now it has become a bogey for me. When you get past something with no conscious effort you get bogged down trying to recreate the success criteria. Thankfully this bogey is early on.

There are 3 continue points I've found - little platforms off the track that you can start from again after falling off should you wish. There's a short cut at the start that lets you practice the latter part of the puzzle and I've gone past a restart practice point around checkpoint 30. Nice little feature but for now I'm eschewing these.

The sound of failure is the sound of a ball bearing hitting plastic.
  • I just got an Addictaball from ebay for £1 +£5 postage which was a bargain for me after finding out about them from this thread.
    Made it past the 1st checkpoint (obstacle 36 I think) but the annoying thing for me is being able to see what you are doing at certain points.
    There's a very tricky bit at 7 and 8 but when you get to 8 I can't see a way of looking that lets you see what the hell you are doing-the rest of the puzzle blocks your view.I have managed to do it by holding the puzzle above my head and seeing it that way.
    But since I've done it once I'm skipping that now and going straight to the 1st checkpoint but I'm enjoying the simple(?) puzzle of this.
    You rang.....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!