Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    While it is all impressive, and props to those of you getting one of these to work, with the proliferation of phrases like...
    ...playable but not great with dsfix but that's probably down to the terrible port.... ...runs great but at 800 600... ...doesn't work without fiddling with the bios... ...lack of a frame limiter... ...trying to use Freesync... ...beta download of Rivatuner... ...successfully intercept the Vulkan API...
    ...I'm out. There's a lot of things I'll happily waste my life frittering away time on, but with video games I like that console games don't require me to tinker to get them to work.

I always held this view until about a year ago, as I have no consoles at the moment. When the platform/emulator works, it's actually a really convenient way to play games

Given that even cheap computers nowadays will run (probably) everything up to dreamcast ps2 era, it hasn't been as fiddly as I was scared it might be
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'd be massively up for this if the pic in the Wikipedia link hadn't hurt my eyes.  File alongside this one.  I love the idea/what they do, but the form factor is off-putting.
    Is that better?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Yes and no.  The track pad things, or whatever they are, make it look like a boom box.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Is that better?

Blackadder.jpg

Moot has located his nagging doubt.
  • Bought the second iteration (GPD Win2).
    It has a Intel M3, 8Gb Ram and Intel HD 615 Graphics. HD is only 128 GB but there is a micro SD Card slot
    Overall it’s miles better than the first iteration, main problem I have had is the noise the fan makes annoys me wife.
    So far I have managed to get quite a few non indie games working e.g. Yakuza 0, Overwatch, Divinity, Witcher 3 (448p and 25-30 FPS). Also have PES 2017 running at 720p at 60 FPS with an update pack to apply all roster changes & strips for 2019 but the controls aren’t great for a sports sim.
    Seen videos of the likes of dishonered 2, titanfall 2 and monster hunter world running well on it but yet to purchase them. 
    Key games that don’t work which I was interested in are Xcom2 and Nier both of which are known to be a bit shit performance wise.
    Obviously it’s a beast for emulation but haven’t tried any of that yet as I am not too in to that stuff

• That does honestly look like a lovely bit of kit but, fuck me, what a price for a handheld.
  • A hd615 in handheld format?
    Impressive...
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yeah it’s not cheap but I have no time to game at home and sold my PS4 (as you know AJ) and Xbone.

• Does the w10 tablet UX work on it?
    Weight and fan noise must be considerable.
    You take a hit on resolution but considering the size of the thing, not too bad.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Not sure about w10 tablet mode - the screen is touch  so just rolling with that.
    The hibernate mode works well, sub 5 seconds from opening the case to playing the game
    It is quite heavy but not uncomfortable for a couple of hours gaming

• I kinda ignored the OG GDP Win, but Charles's post tweaked my curiosity. What a piece of kit. The price does seem steep at first, but most people wouldn't have to buy games specifically for it. You've got (most of) your Steam or Gog libraries available, plus all your emus.

If I ever find myself needing more portability than my laptop, this is absolutely the direction I'll go.

This vid was quite the eye opener.

• It looks horrendously unplayable though.
  • Really? I quite like the look of the analogues, and the depth of it should help it sit nicely it the hands and allow plenty of room for the shoulder buttons. It certainly looks a lot more comfortable than the DS/3DS/PSP's I've had experience with.

Although without actually trying it...
  • Generally it’s quite comfortable, not ideal for sports sims or beat em ups but other than those I haven’t had a problem with holding it (I have big hands though). Not as comfy as pap or switch as it is heavy.

My gaming is mainly on the tube so laptop isn’t an option.
    It’s much better than the first iteration, if you have the money I would highly recommend it.

• I genuinely can't see how you'd comfortably use that.
  • Looks about as comfortable as a 3DS to me. Which isn't very, but you can cope with it.
  • They looks well OTT. Can't you just stream stuff these days?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Like I know what I'm talking about.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Not everything, no. Plus, you need a fast, stable connection which I don't think anyone has managed on mobile yet.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!