Just completed
  • Just had a look to see if it was on sale on Steam.  It's not... because it's free!  Will have to check it out.

Finished a couple of Steam sale games over the weekend.

Cosmic Star Heroine

There are an awful lot of SNES style JRPG's on Steam - will have to pay more attention to them after really enjoying this one.  It's a pretty traditional JRPG, except for the battle system that has a few wrinkles (eg: most actions can only be used once per battle, including items.  One character works best if he dies during battle) so you have to pay attention to each fight; you don't just have a standard attack to spam.  There's no grinding required though, and the (shortish) 15 hour length means it stays pretty fresh throughout the game.  

Dialogue is succinct and the story while predictable is told well enough with some enjoyable characters.  Great music too.  Well worth playing

Also, Pony Island.  It's one of those meta games that had a bit of buzz a while ago.  Very short at 2 hours long, but it's a surprisingly coherent blend of a straightforward mobile runner and puzzle game, with some very odd bits thrown in.  I won't say too much as I think half the fun came from not knowing much about it.  It's pretty clever, different and made for a enjoyable, cheap night in.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think I stopped Pony island halfway through. Not sure why. As I was enjoying it. I might continue...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'll start and complete it tonight.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    You Have To Win The Game (PC) A hidden gem!  A real treat from start to finish (except the very, very finish...) - old skool metroidvania sans any attacking.  Wasn't sure what to expect at all (having barely heard of it), but it's brought a right smile to my face.  Innate charm.  Highly recommended! [9] teeth from a mouth.

Stop playing games I like the look of that aren't on consoles.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    FFS that video shows loads of stuff I didn't see, and some order-breaking.  Interesssting....
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey Remastered (PS4)

Scrabble RPG, all a bit meh, but borderline fun to whizz through.  [5].
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die

Your wife's dead and it's somehow related to cases of Real Blood, a possibly supernatural hallucinogenic street drug that's causing horrific deaths across Boston!

You can use people's personal effects (bloody Marshal's badge, a shoe) to travel back into that person's past!

Your detective best friend who's still on the force cooks five steaks for dinner and eats four of them while you chat over unrelated murder cases!

Swery69's take on a multiple choice modern adventure game with QTE's in there for the mix. The Twin Peaksness (it's so hot right now) is still in there (bad habit but I always check certain reviewers post-completing games I liked and Yahtzee rips into it for this Japanese cliche. Oh well it's something I'm more than happy to indulge). It's just a shame the game was episodic and was set for at least 5 episodes I imagine of a full season but ends at episode 2 on a cliffhanger.

[7] wish I could give it more but it'll be forever unfinished's out of [10] 
  • Finished dying light last night.played it co op with two gaming mates. Not the best game ever but some funny zombie moments. Finished main game expansion can wait till after summer. Still, first game finished this year due to battlefield...
    Peter3C
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It sounds like Zombi but actually good.
  • Worth a punt, forgettable story and truly shit dialogue but great skill tree progression, parkour and if you can rope in a few mates it's a good laugh. Plus dirt cheap at this stage.
    Peter3C
  • Great weapon upgrades too.
    Peter3C
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I was thinking I don't seem to remember finishing many PS4 games so I decided to make a list of all the ones I've completed.

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture
    FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn
    FINAL FANTASY XV
    inFAMOUS Second Son
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
    P.T.
    The Last Guardian
    Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Pathetic really, two of those are basically demos anyway. My pile of shame is the same size.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:

Ban request.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Lies and lies.
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:

Ban request.

Request granted.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Lies and lies.
    Bollockoff wrote:

Truth and real life Muzz. Truth and real life.

Pony Island

Started off thinking this would be a twee meme game and it kind of is but gets clever about it. Or at least it has a few very clever 4th wall breaking sections that had me clapping "well played". Including
    Spoiler:

[7] the implied reason you're stuck playing the game is actually pretty chillings out of [10]
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm still going to complete Zombi so I'm qualified to shit on it.
  • That Pony Island sounds interesting.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Lies and lies.
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Ban request.
    Request granted.

Thirded, disgraceful.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Zombi was bollocks though.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Unmechanical (PS4)

Didn't know what it was at all, but it was lurking on my hard disk, so I thought I'd see what lay within.

A physics puzzler, it turns out.  And in fact not a bad one - the middle of the game actually really very good, briefly [9] territory.  But then final section was decidedly meh, and a few too many of the puzzles were poorly explained (so I had to take hints to de-obfuscate).  So overall a [7] I guess.

Didn't try the "extended" bit yet.  May do.  Just a bit bored of it right at the moment.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Zombi (PS4)

[5] Jesus Christ [10]
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Horizon: Zero Dawn

It looked fantastic, worked when engaging in long distance combat, barely worked at all in close combat, had a somewhat ambitious story with too many poorly written and overacted characters, an open world like many others, and now it's over.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Pretty rotten luck to release your long-developed and slaved over open world game the same week as Breath of the Wild.
  • I thinks it's sold more than Zelda.
  • I think last reports put it at tracking about the same, which isn't too bad for either. More than double the amount of copies of BotW sold on the Switch than the WiiU though, which is vaguely interesting.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Scanner Sombre

So you're a spelunker doing some spelunking and everything is pitch black duh so you methodically scan your environment with a special tool to actually see and it turns out there's some occult goings on in the dark it's not just about dripping wet rocks.

It's quite novel being given your field of vision in such a gradual manner and I can't think really think of any games that have done this aside from The Unfinished Swan where you're throwing globules of black paint in a white kingdom to give everything definition. Mainly it's a game about exploration with some brief diversions into horror to string along your attention.

It's not much of anything beyond the tech though. Which is what I think Introversion knew full well and I'm happy enough with it from the experience. It's pretty & unique.

[7] FPS games that subvert your sight as a central mechanic really need to pop out mores [10]
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I can't comment on Zombi, I suppose, but ZombiU was the tits. Tru fax.

In other news, I've started the DLC for Metro: Last Light. Basically the same as the main game in that it's mostly brilliant with moments of "who the fuck thought this was a good idea?".
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Lies and lies.
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Truth and real life Muzz. Truth and real life. Pony Island Started off thinking this would be a twee meme game and it kind of is but gets clever about it. Or at least it has a few very clever 4th wall breaking sections that had me clapping "well played". Including
    Spoiler:
    [7] the implied reason you're stuck playing the game is actually pretty chillings out of [10]

That first bit in your spoiler was great!  

I imagine a game like this could easily disappear up its own arse, but I liked it all the way through.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!