Just completed
  • I looked for a thread, any idea where the vid is?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Think it's of the Bag of Knives YouTube channel

• Thanks for the interest folks
  • Cheers moot for aereo review. Eyed it a couple of times.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's v good. Though I found the ending needlessly depressing. @Oxenfree
  • P4G, almost there... on the home run now.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Nailed it Tempy, good work.
    Spoiler:
  • Journey done again over the last few days, still not keen.  Mostly completed by a 3yr old but I'm taking it for for 52 games thread because I pretended to hold up on another pad and did the hiding from the wind/flying things bits. 

Also finished Guacamelee, which was on hold while I was off work.  Massive chore in the end, glad it's over.  Love the art style and animation, but it was fiddly as fuck with dull combat.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Also finished Guacamelee, which was on hold while I was off work.  Massive chore in the end, glad it's over.  Love the art style and animation, but it was fiddly as fuck with dull combat.

Completely agreed.
  • Yeah. I didn't play it through but that confirms why I stopped.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Three wronguns in a row. Did you do the hidden tricky bits??
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Right, here's some words on Nier. Spoilers galore.
    Spoiler:

And that's the power of the game. Control, lack of, reason, lack of. All about what makes us human. It's a really special game with decent to good mechanics, and it'll stay with me for a long time. I didn't even get to the OST which is my favourite of the year so far (sit doon Persona). It's really something special.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Three wronguns in a row. Did you do the hidden tricky bits??

I did a couple of battle sections in a mine, but it takes so long to build an extra piece of health I didn't bother searching for much else after that.  I got the same reward for hitting a wall to reveal a missing band member.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Completely agreed.

I wished I'd listened, it took over 5hrs in the end.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Right, here's some words on Nier. Spoilers galore.
    Spoiler:

And that's the power of the game. Control, lack of, reason, lack of. All about what makes us human. It's a really special game with decent to good mechanics, and it'll stay with me for a long time. I didn't even get to the OST which is my favourite of the year so far (sit doon Persona). It's really something special.

Great write up, lad.

The game is full of so much misdirection and stuff that, on first glance, seems flaky or inconsistent. And then it unfolds and shows you how tightly connected it really is. An absolutely amazing game.

And yes, that soundtrack.
  • I agree with Moot on Guacamelee, but not on Ori. Hollow Knight will be the acid test. In fact I'd also fling his criticisms of Guac at Ori too.
  • The best parts of Guac were the optional tricky platform bits though. But I suppose that doesn't matter if you're not enjoying it much and just trying to get out of there.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That's Call Of Duty Infinite Warfare done. What a poor, unsatisfying game. I've cleared every campaign in every cod, and this feels like the most maudlin, trying to be "deep" and "emotional" effort they've done. It bounces off, because COD, and it's absolutely the poorest I've played since Ghosts.
    It's not terrible because these games never are; they're rollercoasters that keep throwing things at you. However, it's a serious disappointment. I really liked Black Ops 3 for going meta as fuck and daring to challenge what a cod campaign was / is. All this adds are turgid side quests and sadness. Avoid.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Best thing about it is you are team mates called Griff and brooks
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Dark Messiah of Might & Magic

If you've read the RPS look-back on this game you'll know the best bits of this involve kicking. Kicking guards off rooftops screaming, kicking orcs into spiked walls, kicking rotten planks out from under guards/orcs so they fall down pits, casting ice spells on the floor so guards/orcs slip over and you can kick them off roofs/cliffs/into the sea easier, kicking necromancers into fires so they burn to death - there is just so much power in one man's quads here.

So it becomes a real slog a ways into the game when they introduce enemies who are resistant to kicking and being victims of the ragdoll physics playground courtesy of the early Source engine. Level design also gets less imaginative, though there are some cool ways to kill a cyclops or two. Plot is fairly bobbins apart from the necromancers being both the good guys and the bad guys at the same time which was good for them.

[6] Vampire Knights die from an avalanche of beer kegs as much as the next goblin out of [10] 
    (if this was the year of release I'd give it [7])
  • Abzu (Win)

Swiming with the fishes, relaxing exploration diving simulation game with lite puzzles. Gorgeous art direction too.
    Nothing groundbraking here, just a sensory overload audiovisual tour de force.
    It is a bit short though, you can easily finish it in a 2 hr sitting.
    In what game can one swim with giant sharks without fear of being devoured alive?

7 chillaxin lsd trips out of 10
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Nier: Automata

I really wanted to like this even more than I did - some of what it does is amazingly inventive and clever.

The layering up of narrative is excellent, and not only in big plot revelations but also in small side quests and little details of character behaviour. It also constantly shifts your perspective on who you are and what you're doing, as well as who everyone else is, which is perfectly matched by the shifting perspectives of the gameplay in many sections. It sets out to disorientate you, and does so just as much with its game styles as with its story. You never know what's coming next, and it keeps surprising right up to the end (and beyond).

But it doesn't make enough of any of its gameplay elements, and actually for a lot of the time you're running around an open-ish world to reach a point on the map where you'll searching for items or fight a few enemies. While the results of quests are often interesting, the content isn't. Plus the environments themselves are rough looking - textures are blocky and muddy, there's loads of pop up, and invisible walls are everywhere arbitrarily marking out where you can and can't jump.

As for action, the fighting is very basic Platinum stuff - slick and functional, but repetitive and with next to zero challenge (I had 4 deaths in 35 hours, all in the first 12 hours or so), and ends up being quite tedious. The RPG elements may as well not be there for the difference they make - I barely changed my set up once I'd found a good balance and it didn't matter. Shoot 'em up sections just repeat waves of the same enemies and never develop. Bosses require no real tactics. And so on. It didn't necessarily need to be tough, but I think it would suit or even add to the themes of the game to make this stuff more involving, intense and pleasurable.

Sounds very negative, but it's more just disappointing that all the great stuff there is to find in this game could have been delivered in a more compact and polished game. I would still recommend it though - I don't think you'll experience anything like it anywhere else, and so much thought has gone into fitting it together. Also, it's much easier to explain what it does wrong than what it does right.

Edit: And the music is fantastic.
  • Hellblade.

Hmmm.......Poor start. Repetitive puzzles and what I thought was clunky combat did not bode well. I started to enjoy it more when I accepted its limitations and stopped trying to play it like Ninja Gaiden, the move set is far too limited. Sadly, it's still not a great game. All puzzles in the game, regardless of their nature are crap. In one particular section, the blindness test is completely pointless and not engaging in the slightest. The combat is slow and brutal, boss fights are repetitive
     and uninspiring. I beat one boss through timing alone as the camera let me down hugely and I couldn't see anything. Simply relied upon noises for block/parry cues.

It's very pretty, but very generic. Take away the psychosis and it's an average hack and slash with little to shout about. The mental state of the lead protagonist makes it slightly interesting.

Five puzzles that are so mind numbing, Professor Layton has shot everyone in the face, out of ten.

Edit...and the ending is garbage.
  • BOTW.

Bought on release.   Completed three months after anyone else.  Still put a 100 hours into the thing which is about 10x as much as any other game I've ever played.  I have other things to do, see?
  • I've still not finished it yet, despite chipping away at it since release.
  • I haven't played in ages, not completed it either. Waiting for the big DLC to get stuck in again.
  • I'm gonna get stuck back in after holiday. Hopefully will have time to play at home.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    That's Call Of Duty Infinite Warfare done. What a poor, unsatisfying game. I've cleared every campaign in every cod, and this feels like the most maudlin, trying to be "deep" and "emotional" effort they've done. It bounces off, because COD, and it's absolutely the poorest I've played since Ghosts.
    It's not terrible because these games never are; they're rollercoasters that keep throwing things at you. However, it's a serious disappointment. I really liked Black Ops 3 for going meta as fuck and daring to challenge what a cod campaign was / is. All this adds are turgid side quests and sadness. Avoid.

Told you Reg. ;)

• Little Nightmares

Enjoyed my (brief) time with this one. Wasn't overly sold to begin with. Hard coming to a game like this in the wake of Inside but it soon got its creepy hooks into me. The sections towards the end were fantastically nightmarish.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!