Ozstock: The Melbourning - Sat 7th October - Venue TBC
  • Eugh, whatsapp needs a number. FFS.
  • Anyway, I'm gonna go to bed.

Whatsapp and the like aren't playing nice because I lack a number right now.

I do use a Chinese social messaging app called WeChat which, if anyone here fancied downloading, could be used to send messages to me. I know it's a hassle to download and use yet another app, though.

If anyone does, my wechat tag is MichaelDavidBritten (one word).
  • OZDATE (it's like Update but with Oz at the beginning because I'm in Australia and Australia is referred to as Oz, geddit?) 1:

Arrived in Sydney late last night and managed to get to a Vodafone shop and buy a Sim without a phone number (lol).

Before that, though, we had customs where we found out that 1 carton of ciggies is over the legal limit for 2 people! It's 25 cigarettes each, mother fucker. Seriously...

Also, got 3 packs of Mongolian Beef Jerky taken away, which doesn't matter to me because I was gonna give them to Shaba, Skerret and Face. Sorry guys.

Anyway, I volunteered this information on my forms and shit, then struck up a nice convo while we did the bag stuff. Final result, customs officers gave the missus and I some extra packs of ciggies each before discarding the rest. Result! Kinda.

Also, chatted with the flight attendant about how awesome Persona 4 and Kanji is when he saw I was playing with m' Vita and asked what I was playing. His fave game of all time, he just stood there in the aisle chillin' while we discussed our fave moments, and my missus rolled her eyes before telling me "I don't get what it is about that game" once Sky Dude had left.

Anyway, after getting the sim we then went outside for nicotine, before grabbing a taxi to the hotel. Hotel was only a 10 minute drive away (not even that, really) and ran to a cool 30 bucks. Fuck...

Once at the hotel we had some more fags (bliss) then tea (good selection - I started with a cheeky Peppermint before finishing off with a Lemon and Ginger, the missus went straight English Breakfast which is crazy because it was like 12 midnight - I married a rebel!). I did try the instant coffee but it tasted like arse.

One all-too-short rest later and the lady and I are back in Terminal 2, ready for our flight to Melbourne. We had breakfast - she had a muffin, I had a sandwich - and coffee. Sandwich was tight, muffin wasn't, and the coffee was...funky...and not in a good way. Still, at 5:50 in the morning after only a handful of hours sleep, coffee is coffee.

Unfortunately our flight has been delayed, so we gotta wait for a bit. As a result, I can now do a STATISTICAL ANALYSIS of AUSTRALIA based on my collected data this far:

100% of Australian Taxis are overpriced
    33.33% of Hotel Service staff carry Bic Lighters
    100% of international flights into Australia arrive on time.
    100% of Australian Domestic flights are delayed by at least an hour
    90% of airport security, customs or check-in staff smile
    33.33% of all coffee drunk by tourists in Australia is instant coffee and, of that, 100% tastes bad.
  • If you drink any bad coffee in Melbourne we've failed you. Or you have not walked a block.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Incomplete list of coffee searching in Melbourne.

CBD, shabby mentioned some, but I'll add some others.

Little rogue are my goddamn people. Just next to Melbourne Central, which you'll go past every time you hit city from Carlton.

They also have a place called shamble coffee. Other side of the CBD.

Plantation has a couple of outlets, they're solid.

Padre is a mini chain, very solid. The one at the Vic market in particular.

There's a bunch of other nice places, my hood and nth Melb, have auction rooms, and a bunch of others, Carlton itself I'm rusty on.

Of the other chains in the city, streat and urban fox or passable, not sure if they're in the city, but jasper coffee are OK too.

Dodge anywhere selling the big Italian brands.

As far as suppliers go: small batch (from auction rooms/St Ali) is always a safe bet, padre supply as well, rumble coffee roasters.

There's heaps of others.

Also, even if you don't drink soy. Check which soy they use. Bonsoy ftw, anything else, danger will Robinson, danger.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Carlton has a couple I know of but not as many as you'd think.

Vertue Of The Coffee Drink is a neato cafe you have to go down an alley for. You can see where on Google maps. My number 1 pick from that area.

Trotters Bistro is supposed to be okay too.

And Brunettis is always worth a visit on Lygon there. They're quite the Melbourne empire now but they still do pretty good coffee and cake.

Depending where in Carlton you are you might be able to take yourselves to Brunswick St and places like Industry Beans (a personal fave) or the multitude of cafes there.
  • Also, re Saturday if it's only going to be a small event if Face and Sker are MIA then I'm happy to do a luncheon so you can do a proper anniversary dinner (I mean I'm happy to do lunch for that either way!).

There's some good restaurants in Carlton and surrounds for a nice celebration meal. Places like Town Mouse or Saint Crispin.

Oh, and if you're cheese fiends then you need to hit Milk The Cow in Carlton too. Pidapipo for your gelato too. Well until you go over to Gelato Messina on Smith St.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    We went to vertue of the coffee drink last weekend after staying in the city for a gig..... It's really good!

I don't drink coffee because I am. Oh so stereotypically English and I drink all the tea!
  • Got tomorrow's itinerary sorted.

@Skerret - will you be joining me, the missus and Shabs on our drive or will you not be available at that time?
  • I can officially confirm that locally brewed Aus ales are pretty fucking tight. Drunk a black ale earlier (forgot the name unfortunately) which was described as a local Indian light black ale with citrusy flavours. Thought that might have just been shop speak but the description was perfectly apt - citrus was detectable from the first whiff and it drunk like an absolute dream. Had 2 pints with dinner and would have had more were it not for the fact the missus and I wanted to have a walk around the city.

Genuinely impressed.
  • Thread needs moar pictures dammit!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Aye, I know, sorry.

Still haven't sorted a new host since Photobucket decided to go Full Cunt.

I have pics and will post some soon.
  • Imgur app on iPhone is simplicity to use and works a treat for me.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    Imgur app on iPhone is simplicity to use and works a treat for me.

Aye, know a lot of people here use it. Unfortunately it doesn't work well in China. May well just decide to use Imgur for this thread, though.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hallo pals, tonight is out but tomoz may be different, keep posting times and places x
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Had an incredible day. Took loads of photos. Knackered.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I'll be in the city from mid afternoon tomorrow most likely - feel free to pm me if you want mobile number or whatever, otherwise I'll keep my eye on the thread
  • Questor wrote:
    I'll be in the city from mid afternoon tomorrow most likely - feel free to pm me if you want mobile number or whatever, otherwise I'll keep my eye on the thread

I don't have a sim that can make calls, but we'll post full details here. It's looking like dinner at 6:30 and drinks after. Venue TBC, but probably Meaty BBQ place.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hang to which drive are we referring Cint; when and where
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Hang to which drive are we referring Cint; when and where

The drive was the ocean road trip that we took today - up to the bastard koala river sanctuary or wherever it was that I had a coffee flavoured Gaytime.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Ah. Yeah no way could I have made that, left work at 6:40 and airport by 9, home b'10.

What tomorrow's plan? You MUST do a brunch
  • Tomorrow lunchtime is my anniversary lunch with the missus so that time is ringfenced. May be early to do an early brunch the day after, though, before flying off.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Good heavens man you run a tight trip

So it's dins at 6:30 then?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Supernormal is worth a dip if so
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Or MoVida
  • Skerret wrote:
    Good heavens man you run a tight trip

So it's dins at 6:30 then?

Yeah - this is packed tight...not through any choice of ours, I just couldn't spare to miss too many classes.

I'd really like a longer visit in Melbs at some point.

But yeah, dins at 6:30 it seems.
  • Cinty liked the look of Meatmaiden so gonna go there. I was gonna make the booking. Judging from the website they have spots so should be fiiiiiine. Then booze. Well booze and food then booze.
  • I just booked it then. 

Meatmaiden in Lt Collins St. 

615pm. 

9 people. That's Mr Cinty, Mrs Cinty, Me, Sker, Face (still a maybe), Quest, Tim, Mrs Tim, Robb.

If anything changes attendance-wise let me know so I can call them. I'll keep an eye on here during the day. I can come into the city in the arvo too Quest if you want to get a drink beforehand.
  • Testing. Does this work?

TBEbq8M.jpg

Shabby's bird game is 10 outta 10, dangerous!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!