Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've got a 30 year old bottle of port ellen under the stairs. Distilled in 1982, bottled in 2012.
  • All round to Goober's!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Uigeadail.  Even just the smell of it next to me.  Incredible stuff.
  • Another sample booze sale at work. Not the best one for spirit drinkers, mostly wine and beer, the spirits on offer were a bit lighter fluid territory. Did manage to salvage a bottle of Smokehead and a bottle of Pike Creek Canadian 10yo Rum Finish, both untried prior.

smokehead-imd-800x1200.jpg?itok=stgYywTG

167697-big.jpg
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • At the risk of a 'don't tell him' response, can you provide tasting notes for the Pike Creek pls.  Looks right up my alley.
  • You lucky twat Webbins.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Thanks Grem, that means a lot.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Webbins wrote:
    Thanks Grem, that means a lot.

Np. I’ve always fancied trying the Smokehead and would give the Pike Creek a good seeing to just for the amazing rope effect.
  • I'm sure that's their riposte to the over zealous waxing on the Knob Creek stopper.
  • You probably won't want to know that I paid fifteen for the Smokehead and ten for the Pike Creek either, so I best not tell you that.
  • Baw bag.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    At the risk of a 'don't tell him' response, can you provide tasting notes for the Pike Creek pls.  Looks right up my alley.

I probably won't open it till Saturday, polishing off some Kraken during FNF tomoz.  I'll leave the MoM notes here for now and see how they compare.

Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt
    Nose: Honey'd raisins and pecans, with a spicy little kick of herbaceous rye hiding in there.
    Palate: Old-fashioned cola cubes, cardamom heat, caramel and a clear suggestion of good rum.
    Finish: Lasting notes of brown sugar and dried oak.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have been drinking this. Very smooth. Enjoying it.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/image/cache/DB_750ml_Reflect_2017-776x1176.jpg"
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • For those into their Bourbons, my local Tesco have Old Forester reduced to clear from £30 down to £18 - not sure if it’s a national thing though.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    At the risk of a 'don't tell him' response, can you provide tasting notes for the Pike Creek pls.  Looks right up my alley.

I probably won't open it till Saturday, polishing off some Kraken during FNF tomoz.  I'll leave the MoM notes here for now and see how they compare.

Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt
    Nose: Honey'd raisins and pecans, with a spicy little kick of herbaceous rye hiding in there.
    Palate: Old-fashioned cola cubes, cardamom heat, caramel and a clear suggestion of good rum.
    Finish: Lasting notes of brown sugar and dried oak.

Firing the Pike Creek up now, comparing the notes above. It's heady stuff, got a fantastic honey, caramel and brown sugar nose on it. Not getting cola cubes on tasting which I'm glad of, but a definite sherried rum molasses taste, and smooth. It's a definite winner for me.
  • Gremill wrote:
    For those into their Bourbons, my local Tesco have Old Forester reduced to clear from £30 down to £18 - not sure if it’s a national thing though.

It's a good drop, buy two at that price.
  • Pike sounds great, shocked to see it's in the £25 range, will grab a bottle shortly.  

I'll go for the Old Forester at that price if I see it, but for an everyday alternative I had a night on the 5yr Lid bourbon recently, as Sam Adams chasers, and it was very drinkable indeed for £15, definitely the tastiest I've tried of the supermarket own brand type bourbons, also better than Jim Beam or JD.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had some friends over Saturday night and we had some of the Bushmills 1975.

Hardly any left now - maybe a glass or two. Feck it - it's made for drinking after all.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Drinking Jura Superstition after washing down a garlic chicken chilli masala with a few Cobras.  A good evening.
  • 27912_BA8-_C557-4934-_BA7_B-_E56_BA8_C34_C00.jpg
    Got a bottle of this yesterday- it’s amazing stuff, cask strength at about 57% and tastes fantastic neat but adding water to it takes it to the next level. Gorgeous.
  • JmypF2c.jpg

Tonight I managed to win a bottle of random tasty looking spiced rum in a UFO catcher type bar game on the first go. The bar manager absolutely swore by it as though I was the luckiest guy in the world, so looking forward to trying it.
  • And he put your picture on the wall.
  • That’s the picture that Kaz will have in his attic.
  • That is my attic.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    For those into their Bourbons, my local Tesco have Old Forester reduced to clear from £30 down to £18 - not sure if it’s a national thing though.

It's a good drop, buy two at that price.

I’ve just found a shelf of them in Tesco in Carlisle and they’ve dropped the price to £11! Two bought, had to resist a third.
  • Bargain! Shoulda bought the shelf, you won't be sorry. Splendid stuff.
  • Just checked myself, for some reason I was thinking Pikes Creek. Old Forester is great at that price, £30 is a stretch. It's a step up from Jim Beam but probably not as a distinctive a drop as Buffalo Trace.
  • Can’t go wrong at £11, particularly as I’ll be using them in old fashioned’s anyway.
  • Went in for some Old Forester this afternoon.  No luck, so I grabbed a Wild Turkey at £16 (£6 off on the shelf strip).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!