The Witness - Jonathan Blow's Tracy Island Mashup
  • Tempy wrote:
    Yeah it's not there, but I feel like the bit you're talking about would be considered "end game" stuff

Ah, gotcha. It definitely feels that way, but I can't remember if any of the requirements for entry were late in the game or they were just all spread out.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Major spoiler there, tempy!
    Spoiler:
  • There is indeed BLANK in the game, in many places, with many functions
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Wait. The game has
    Spoiler:
    ?

Fucks sake Tempy.
  • No, I agree with Muzzy; having read that beforehand could spoil a small part of the game.
  • Fair enough. 

Which part though have I spoiled though? I can think of more than one.

ULTRA SPOILER
    Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:
  • Why have those font tags appeared? Fuck this half arsed OS, it's too much effort to fix it.
  • You could argue that my earlier comment to Chalice was a spoiler to be fair. I still think it's vague enough to not matter, but I will protect the sweet innocent eyes, wherever they may be.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Why have those font tags appeared? Fuck this half arsed OS, it's too much effort to fix it.

Always switch to the non-WYSIWIG editor (I forget what it’s called) on here before pasting.
  • Tempy wrote:
    You could argue that my earlier comment to Chalice was a spoiler to be fair. I still think it's vague enough to not matter, but I will protect the sweet innocent eyes, wherever they may be.

True. We should probably spoiler everything we say from now on.

Imagine the pop-up iOS text controls don't occlude the toolbar, every time you select any text, and I spoilered that, for lols.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think we should bin the WYSIWIG editor altogether, TBH. The toolbar can go in the bin.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    Why have those font tags appeared? Fuck this half arsed OS, it's too much effort to fix it.
    Always switch to the non-WYSIWIG editor (I forget what it’s called) on here before pasting.

I usually do,  but the context made that difficult and I assumedthat the fact I'd just copied the text from the editor would avoid it.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I think we should bin the WYSIWIG editor altogether, TBH. The toolbar can go in the bin.

Fuck that, writing out those tags on mobile/tablet is a right arse.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Less of an arse than font tags appearing everywhere constantly, IMO.
  • If something's being changed, why not just fix the problem? Or drop the WYSIWYG and keep the toolbar, that's work for me.

While were at it, we should move the toolbar, so you don't have to remember to use it beforehand on iOS.
  • AJ wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Yeah it's not there, but I feel like the bit you're talking about would be considered "end game" stuff
    Ah, gotcha. It definitely feels that way, but I can't remember if any of the requirements for entry were late in the game or they were just all spread out.
    The way to access that was
    Spoiler:
  • Ah, my bad. Probably getting it muddled up with
    Spoiler:
    or something. Still, didn't much like that bit, however you get in.
  • I didn't much either. Only really kept at it out of stubborness.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It's more that these line puzzles don't have any relation to the gorgeous environment so far. Just separate, rudimentary puzzles.

You can't have played much as the link between the environment and the puzzles is basically the core of game.

A little over an hour. Enough to know it's not for me. Which is a shame because it looks fucking gorgeous.
  • I just finished this. Quite pleased I didn't resort to google for any solutions, although a bit right near the end had me cutting up bits of paper to try to solve it.

Bloody great game as far as I'm concerned.
  • I recently played and finished Obduction, then Rime. Enjoyed them both immensely, these sorts of exploration puzzle games are what I'm mainly interested in at the moment. I think I got this free at some the point from the Epic store so I decided to give it a go.

Little bit disappointed after an hour or two, as it appears that all the puzzles are essentially all the same draw a line thing or variations thereof. There's nothing wrong with that, it is it's own thing. But coming from Obduction which, as is typical to the Myst series, features a variety of different types of puzzles integrated into and spaced out across the environment in a mostly natural and thematic sort of way I find The Witness's neverending line puzzles to get pretty tiresome.

I will continue with it, but every so often for a long while probably, playing until I get sick of seeing another line puzzle. I expect things will change at points in the playthrough, but for now it's hard to stay engaged.

Not a totally fair conclusion to make just yet, but I think things like Obduction are generally better with the variety of the puzzles, and I can highly recommend checking it out. It has flaws but overall I found it to be brilliant. I still want to go back and complete Riven, which from my time with it I can say I really think it's still the high point of the genre.
  • It’s all line puzzles and better for it because it sticks to some idea and machines it to near perfection.
  • I thought the puzzles in this started ok, got better and became outstanding. I thought this was frankly bordering on genius. Blow's brain is quite a thing.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • The way the Witness uses its line puzzles is brilliant, by using one simple visual language for all of its puzzles it allows it to be ridiculous creative as you carry on. You simple couldn't do some of the things it does if it had been made up of different mechanics. It lends an elegance to everything, and it feels like you're learning something rather than being tested on a series of stand alone puzzles.
  • Yeah, it's proper amazing. The way it teaches you not by telling or even showing, but by doing is outstanding.
  • The way they manage to eke so many variants out of the puzzles that match where they're being used is brilliant - the mechanic in the quarry area was especially fun as it literally represented what happens in a quarry, I love it.
  • It's the sheer pure logic of it all. It's beautiful.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I wish I had made this game, yet im very aware I could not have done.
  • TBF I'm not that huge into purely puzzle games, where you play the same puzzle format through iterations of difficulty, so this was never going to be ideal for me. But it's very pretty and intriguing and the puzzles are clever, so I will be persevering. But just in bits over a period of time, as I can only do about a dozen line puzzles before I get really quite disinterested.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!