Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • I can’t work out what they’re doing with the animation on that. Looks 3D with 2D elements but they’re painting over it as well or they’ve got some incredible toon render or something. They seem to be chopping it up as well to make it less smooth, taking frames out. Maybe it’s just hand drawn incredibly well. No idea.

This post hasn’t gone well. Looks great anyway. I’ll happily watch.
  • It’s 3D with mixed media layers. Lovely rendering.

Trad 2D animation doubles up exposures - pose models, take 2 snaps, next pose. Makes it more visually stable. Compare any Aardman to a 60fps game anim, or 48fps filmed content.
  • Wooo, got goose bumps watching the Spidey trailer. Looks great.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • djchump wrote:
    It’s 3D with mixed media layers. Lovely rendering.

Trad 2D animation doubles up exposures - pose models, take 2 snaps, next pose. Makes it more visually stable. Compare any Aardman to a 60fps game anim, or 48fps filmed content.

Yeah weird to see CG like that. Good though.
  • Saw Black Panther finally (got it as a Father’s Day gift, it’s the only marvel film I haven’t seen yet) and I actually really enjoyed it. The ‘shoot down the ships before they leave!’ action sequence was almost entirely unnecessary, and the solo fight between killmonger and t’challa was pretty anti climatic. Shows how much better at directing action the russo brothers really are. I think seeing black panther already in civil war and new avengers means I’ve already seen him be a complete badass so wasn’t too fussed.

But overall I really loved the film, amazing vibe, good heart, well acted, and shuri and killmonger were standouts for me.
  • Up there with iron man in terms of the origin story movies. They've possibly over done the Wakanda tech in what it can do though - where were all those flying ships when the battle in infinity happened for example but overall it's a fun hero movie.

As you say, many of the characters work and I like that black panther is a unsure of his role and actions but not in a way that is crippling throughout the movie (as in superman ANGST!! in man of steel)
    SFV - reddave360
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Angstman
  • Watched X-Men 2 last night with the kids. First time I’ve seen it in ages and it holds up well, pretty great actually - probably the best of the original 2 films, of which there were definitely only 2.
  • It's still the best X-Men film.
  • Just as well that one with Vinne Jones in never got made. That would have been awful.
  • Get your watches in while you can before the mainstream media stop ignoring Singer being a massive pedo.
  • Yeah, that did cross my mind when I was watching it - how many of Xavier’s gifted children had to fight off the Director.?
  • Eugh, grim thought.
  • I was massively surprised that the metoo thing didn’t hit him, even after he had to leave the queen biopic film he was directing. It’s mad it hasn’t properly caught up with him in yet.
  • Saw Black Panther finally (got it as a Father’s Day gift, it’s the only marvel film I haven’t seen yet) and I actually really enjoyed it. The ‘shoot down the ships before they leave!’ action sequence was almost entirely unnecessary, and the solo fight between killmonger and t’challa was pretty anti climatic. Shows how much better at directing action the russo brothers really are. I think seeing black panther already in civil war and new avengers means I’ve already seen him be a complete badass so wasn’t too fussed.

But overall I really loved the film, amazing vibe, good heart, well acted, and shuri and killmonger were standouts for me.

Same here, got it as a father’s day gift and currently half way through it (stopping for a tea break)
    It’s the only marvel film I haven’t seen and I’m really enjoying it!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • I enjoyed that
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • He's a good sport.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • And got a decent set of pipes.
  • I watched Justice League this evening. Didn’t think it was an awful film, but it wasn’t very good. Just a bit all over the place, and someodd locations for the action scenes. Flash was good, and aquaman was a level of early 2000s dumb that was sort of endearing. Not as bad as I have heard though, much like BvS.

It’s weird, I know it’s obvious, but as someone who really likes the big marvel crossover events, it does make you realise how much difference good work/luck/casting goes. WBs DC films are trying so hard to imitate, but the characters just don’t translate the same. They should focus on the legends, I always thought DC was about Gods, marvel was about people.

Edit: oh right, Thor. Explains why I never liked comics such as Thor and Namor I guess.
  • Am I allowed to be annoyed that those Hawkeye jokes implied he was single (tinder date) when it's commonly known he is married with children?

Hello? Anyone?
  • Am I allowed to be annoyed that those Hawkeye jokes implied he was single (tinder date) when it's commonly known he is married with children?

Hello? Anyone?

I'm gonna go ahead and say that performance was not cannon Shabs ;)
  • Maybe his wife enjoys it?
  • So I've not seen Justice League, and only skipped through bits of BvS, but I saw this clip:

Is that really how badly-made that film is?! Like, with incredibly obvious greenscreening because the VFX guys seem to have totally fucked up the lighting in the scene?!
  • In the original Snyder version, when it was shot, that scene took place at night. Time of day was altered in post to make it less grimdark. Like most of the movie, it didn't really work.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    Time of day was altered in post to make it less grimdark.

Just because they could, nobody stopped to think about whether they should.
  • We could apply that to about 90% of superhero movies
  • poprock wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Time of day was altered in post to make it less grimdark.
    Just because they could, nobody stopped to think about whether they should.
    IMHO, they couldn't. They failed quite badly.
  • djchump wrote:
    Is that really how badly-made that film is?! Like, with incredibly obvious greenscreening because the VFX guys seem to have totally fucked up the lighting in the scene?!

Haha yes, and that scene is by far the least egregious example of in honest... basically any scene with the main bad guy, really.

It reminds me of early-mid 2000 action films. Not just in VFX, but tone, story, pacing... I didn’t think it was awful or anything, just a mediocre superhero thing.

Unfortunately, some other big company somewhere showed that you can do a bit better than that and poor warner don’t really know how to catch up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!