Ethics and Science Quarantine Zone
  • Ziinggg!!!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • djchump wrote:
    ... refrigeration... yet today even the poorest in society have access to it and benefits it brings ...
    You reckon?
    Seems legit?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/08/28/09/2BB7E11700000578-3213912-image-a-3_1440751107510.jpg
  • "I'm so glad that everyone has fridges and electricity and food and clean water to keep in them now. Everything's fine everyone!"

I mean, I guess it would seem churlish to pick faults with Pinker's logic if you thought that was the world we're living in.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Monkey: I downloaded the book and skimmed some of it. I think you're right that he doesn't make this argument. Definitely not that specific comparison to the Great Depression (I did a word search). The thing he does continually though is make completely redundant arguments through besides-the-point historical comparisons. e.g. The rich have gotten richer, but their lives haven’t gotten that much better. Warren Buffett may have more air conditioners than most people, or better ones, but by historical standards the fact that a majority of poor Americans even have an air conditioner is astonishing.
    That’s interesting. How come you see that as redundant? It’s a trivial example for sure, but i think that’s the point. Air conditioning could hardly be considered a basic human requirement, but nevertheless it’s a “luxury” that has a positive effect on wellbeing (having recently moved to a much warmer climate I can testify to that) and one that’s widely available across social strata. Now if you broaden it to less trivial examples closer to what may be thought of as 'necessity'; refrigeration, running water/sanitation, preoperative anaesthesia. When you add these up along with countless other examples it equates to massive improvement in wellbeing across the board.
    It's redundant because it's useless in solving any problems. All it's good for is dismissing the problem. Africa has better health care than it's ever had, better sanitation, and so on. They've also never had as much toxic waste pumped into their water supplies, as many cruel despots propped up by investment money from Western and Chinese megacorps. On balance, yeah it's maybe better than 100 years ago. So what? 

There's a typical confusion amongst pro-market fundamentalists (and I haven't read enough of Pinker to know if this applies to him as well) of conflating scientific progress with the benefits of capitalism. People have refrigerated food now because scientists experimented and found out how to achieve it. Is the system we've got for distributing this knowledge and technology around the world the best one available? Can it be improved? Should we improve it? The fact that 150 years ago even the world's richest man didn't have this technology doesn't help you with any of these questions.
  • JRPC wrote:
    There seems to be a lot of this sort of stuff. He never says (that I've read, which isn't much) "so it's ok that people are poor because historically they were poorer". But the "It's not as bad as you think" motif is everywhere. It seems to be a book that answers people who think "Things have never been this bad." which it does well. But no one really thinks this, or at least no one sensible.  If you're position is that inequality etc are causing harm and misery, impeding progress, all the rest of it, and it's happening now, and is avoidable and can be improved, Pinker's got nothing for you.
    Unfortunately that’s simply not true.  In fact there’s an entire chapter dedicated to describing and quantifying how actually the exact opposite is the case; that undue pessimism and progress-denial is widespread, despite the abundance of evidence to the contrary. He also dives into why this may be the case, including looking into the psychology that may explain it (chapter 4; Progressophobia).  
    Pinker: Seeing how journalistic habits and cognitive biases bring out the worst in each other, how can we soundly appraise the state of the world? The answer is to count. How many people are victims of violence as a proportion of the number of people alive? How many are sick, how many starving how many poor, how many oppressed, how many illiterate, how many unhappy? And are those numbers going up or down? A quantitative mindset, despite its nerdy aura, is in fact the morally enlightened one, because it treats every human life as having an equal value rather than privileging the people who are closest to us or most photogenic. And it holds out the hope that we might identify the causes of suffering and thereby know which measures are most likely to reduce it.
    Fascist! He goes on to describe ways in which undue pessimism can actually be deeply harmful, beyond the general utility of having your conceptual understanding of the world track with reality.  
    Chapter 4 begins with this quote.
    If you had to choose a moment in history to be born, and you did not know ahead of time who you would be—you didn’t know whether you were going to be born into a wealthy family or a poor family, what country you’d be born in, whether you were going to be a man or a woman—if you had to choose blindly what moment you’d want to be born, you’d choose now.
    —Barack Obama, 2016
    If you disagree with that, then read the book, because it seems like you need a history lesson. But things improve because people make the effort to improve them.
    I dunno, it's probably not a bad book. The inequality stuff is spurious from the chapter I read a few weeks ago. Skimming through and ripping bits out to have debates on the internet is not really a fair way to go about judging it. But there you go. I doubt I'll read it fully.
  • Pinker: "The answer is to count."

Just not the number of incarcerated black folks, apparently.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • It took all of my will not to write incarcerated scarfaces.
  • monkey wrote:
     It's redundant because it's useless in solving any problems. All it's good for is dismissing the problem. Africa has better health care than it's ever had, better sanitation, and so on. They've also never had as much toxic waste pumped into their water supplies, as many cruel despots propped up by investment money from Western and Chinese megacorps. On balance, yeah it's maybe better than 100 years ago. So what? There's a typical confusion amongst pro-market fundamentalists (and I haven't read enough of Pinker to know if this applies to him as well) of conflating scientific progress with the benefits of capitalism. People have refrigerated food now because scientists experimented and found out how to achieve it. Is the system we've got for distributing this knowledge and technology around the world the best one available? Can it be improved? Should we improve it? The fact that 150 years ago even the world's richest man didn't have this technology doesn't help you with any of these questions.

I don't really follow your point there.

Are you saying that although there are positive developments that you can point to, at the same time there's enough new bad stuff going so that it cancels out (or nearly cancels out) so it would be wrong to describe it as real progress?

If so, I'd strongly disagree with that.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • No I’m saying historical perspectives cut both ways. But it’s a side point. I agree that things are better. I just don’t know where that gets anyone once you’ve agreed it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How did you get that from monkey’s post?
  • JRPC wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Yes, this 'things aren't so bad' narrative is becoming a real bugbear of mine. Notice how it nearly always comes from white guys in western countries who are doing just fine thanks.
    JonB wrote:
    All seems pretty straightforward to me. Big claims of rationality, Enlightenment values, looking at the facts and the numbers etc. But it's all so clearly selective and interpreted to fit an already decided narrative, which really goes against those supposed Enlightenment values, especially in the duty - as I see it - of philosophy to be critical of existing power structures. To be fair, it's a problem with a great deal of Anglo-American liberal political philosophy, even in more serious stuff like Rawls. It's the philosophy of the dominant ideology, effectively, which is always going to struggle to be self-reflective. And sadly also means it gets far more attention than it warrants.
    hunk wrote:
    @JonB It's called 'conservatism'. They also apply it to their 'science' which they then present as fact.
    31ae41b31634e6ad98dd6968e286e464.gif
    Is that you winning the thread again?
  • It should demonstrate the complete futility of engaging with this fuckmuppet.  Let that be a lesson to you all.
  • Rewatched a talk yesterday by the very brilliant Dr Alan Kay. At the end there was something that I thought was relevant here, and kind of describes the issue of looking at relative progress. It's coming from a bit of a different angle, he's adressing a room of executives in tech I think, and trying to explain how you might get genuine invention and progress, at least in computing.

(47:57)

ooFZbBA.png

There is a problem with our short-term perception, in that we percieve small changes in the present as being more significant than they actually are when looking at progress across a much larger time-span. But we are also prone to being content with situations that appear to be 'good enough' (especially easy for the privileged ofc), when really the standards could be so much higher.

That little demonstrative graph kinda shows the issue here I think; you can draw a rough line through the "Better" squiggle, and say "Look how good we have it now!". But that misses the point, that we should really be aiming to get over the threshold of what is actually needed. Anything below that is Not Bloody Good Enough.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    Come on now, Einstein was born in the 19th century. In Germany. What do we expect?

Moral relativism
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • @Gurtfactor
    The thing with conservatism is:
    We're good where we are.
    Why change a good thing, why upset the (social) status quo?
    Why give 'outsiders' the chance to potentialy displace us?

We are the top dog, do not fucking upset the Status Quo!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Vela wrote:
    legaldinho wrote:
    Come on now, Einstein was born in the 19th century. In Germany. What do we expect?

Moral relativism

So? Are moral judgements absolute in every respect, about everything? Or can they be mediated by experience and context in at least some respects? It's not like Einstein was going around murdering Asians. Im perfectly happy being a moral relativist in some contexts, an absolutist in others. At least one thing I'm not is a moral positivist. Racism is bad so let's blacklist Einstein. No dude, let's not.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    How did you get that from monkey’s post?

I don't really follow your question there.

Are you asking who was the only prime minister to be murdered ?

If so, the answer is Spencer Perceval.

Ozno wins the thread again

Ronaldinhoswingingcocks.gif
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t need to ask if he’s winning it, he’s already done so 80 times.

I just couldn’t work out how JR reached his reading of monkey’s post, I didn’t see anything that suggested monkey believed what JR asked about.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    legaldinho wrote:
    Moral relativism
    So? Are moral judgements absolute in every respect, about everything? Or can they be mediated by experience and context in at least some respects? It's not like Einstein was going around murdering Asians. Im perfectly happy being a moral relativist in some contexts, an absolutist in others. At least one thing I'm not is a moral positivist. Racism is bad so let's blacklist Einstein. No dude, let's not.

Dude, it was a joke about general relativity.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I don’t need to ask if he’s winning it, he’s already done so 80 times.

I just couldn’t work out how JR reached his reading of monkey’s post, I didn’t see anything that suggested monkey believed what JR asked about.

I was being ironical, it was a joke about how JRPC "responds" to others posts by saying he doesn't understand, then asking a question of his own which restates and strawmans the post in question, so he can tell himself he is winning

How could you be so dense as to miss the joke?

Vela wrote:
    legaldinho wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    legaldinho wrote:
    Moral relativism

Dude, it was a joke about general relativity.

Wait, shit.
  • Abandon thread, we're all infected.
  • In thermonuclear thread, everyone loses.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Is this the Jordan Peterson appreciation thread?

If so, enjoy this.

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1009716701385101313?s=19
  • Lol.
  • That is fuckin hilarious.
  • Is this the thread for this? I dunno. Anyway, here's my interview with Asad Haider about identity politics. Same guy @Facewon had linked to a couple of week ago - couldn't remember which thread.

At the very least there's a tenuous connection here, as I put in a question about Pinker and Harris at the end.
    http://stateofnatureblog.com/asad-haider-identity-politics-mass-self-organisation/
  • And I like his answer.
  • Latest Gladwell is so specifically about ethics and science... 

Good listening so far.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!