Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's a little disappointing so far, I'm half way through it.
  • Has anyone mentioned the partially examined life podcast in here?

Amazing.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Been on that shit for literal years, so probably.
  • Figures.

Its amazing. White privilege double header was awesome. Rorty 2 parter on the left even more so.

Get on it all.
  • Folks after a funny leftycast with less in the way of Twittersphere trivia than Chapo are advised to give Street Fight Radio a go.
  • Current affairs are about to start a pod. Woot.
  • Btw it's good fun, that current affairs pod.

Also, new revisionist history is strong.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Btw it's good fun, that current affairs pod.

Also, new revisionist history is strong.

Oohh, I had noticed your previous post. I'll have a listen.
  • As with all podcasts there is a variable quality to some of these but they scratch an itch often enough to be good - here are some I'm listening to most recently:

1) Citations Needed (yellow square brackets) - a leftish podcast which attempts to observe and dissect the media's account of various topics (e.g. what's the deal with canada being portrayed as some kind of left wing utopia model for the rest of the west)

2) Waypoint Radio (I think that's what it's called) it's pretty good for games podcast

3) Polygon's Quality Control - I've only listened to one of these but they went deep on Solo in a way which I thought was pretty interesting.

4) Quarter to Three  - very rare but a good conversational take on things.
  • Lol. Will listen. That logo, so bad.
  • I liked that ep.
  • I have no time for baseball the sport but have to admit baseball teams have the best logos.
  • Why are videogame podcasts basically auditions for pseuds corner.

So many of them chat as if they have insight into the secret brains of people that make their products.
  • I struggle with Waypoint Radio because of that. Sometimes they go off on some tangent about the social implications of a section of a game or whatever and I'm listening like.... what?

I get it is important to have these discussions, but sometimes it's just too much all the time.

I like Giantbomb the most because it is mostly purely about games, but they do address issues when needed.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • This'll be why:

​Austin Walker is Editor-in-Chief of Waypoint and an erstwhile academic. He writes about the intersection of games, culture, labor, and community.​
  • Ha yeah, Austin is something else man.
  • Copied from the Sports thread, but worth a dl if you listen to football podcasts. 

Well worth downloading the Under the Cosh podcast. Journeymen strikers Chris Brown and Jon Parkin talk about what football is really like below the Premiership. They talk about footballers they can't stand (and name them), a sex tape one of them was involved in, which managers were shite, the realities of salaries, drinking and training, shenanigans they were involved in and so on. Every week they have another ex-pro along with them and the 2nd episode has Andy Griffin talking about his time at Newcastle, his relationship with Bobby Robson, chinning Lauren Robert, living in a bungalow being tee-total, how he ended up getting stitched up to do charity work in Mexico, how his career fizzled out etc. 

It's a really good listen and puts into context the reality of a football career for the vast majority of pros who never quite make it. Other guests they have had on include Billy Paynter, Dominic Matteo, Tony Warner, Chris Sedgwick and Liam Lawrence. It's just refreshing to hear a couple of footballers talking quite honestly about what life is like in the profession.
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Copied from the Sports thread, but worth a dl if you listen to football podcasts.  Well worth downloading the Under the Cosh podcast. Journeymen strikers Chris Brown and Jon Parkin talk about what football is really like below the Premiership. They talk about footballers they can't stand (and name them), a sex tape one of them was involved in, which managers were shite, the realities of salaries, drinking and training, shenanigans they were involved in and so on. Every week they have another ex-pro along with them and the 2nd episode has Andy Griffin talking about his time at Newcastle, his relationship with Bobby Robson, chinning Lauren Robert, living in a bungalow being tee-total, how he ended up getting stitched up to do charity work in Mexico, how his career fizzled out etc.  It's a really good listen and puts into context the reality of a football career for the vast majority of pros who never quite make it. Other guests they have had on include Billy Paynter, Dominic Matteo, Tony Warner, Chris Sedgwick and Liam Lawrence. It's just refreshing to hear a couple of footballers talking quite honestly about what life is like in the profession.

Saw the post in the sports thread - will deffo check it. Thanks.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I struggle with Waypoint Radio because of that. Sometimes they go off on some tangent about the social implications of a section of a game or whatever and I'm listening like.... what?

I get it is important to have these discussions, but sometimes it's just too much all the time.

I like Giantbomb the most because it is mostly purely about games, but they do address issues when needed.

Some of their tangents are whack. Like I don’t really care why they would choose a see through only vs coloured drinks. It’s pure masturbation on their part. But whatever, why have a podcast that dozens of people listen to if you can’t foist arbitrary thoughts out. On the other hand I do like some of their observations of themes. I find that they reach too much sometimes (in particular rob Zacny) and I find klepek a bit too bland yet somehow also unconvinced by anything he says himself in case he gets called out on it by whatever trend pops up a week from now that he was too dense to spot it.

The thing I was more getting irritated by was insights into the thought process of “Nintendo” which informs their choices. Knowing full well it’s pure speculation dressed as insight. I really hate it.
  • I think it's undr the cosh? No e?
  • I really disliked Austin Walker when he was on the giantbombcast. Super irritating.

Speaking of the bombcast,it not been great for a while. Nothing particularly wrong with it just boring.
    I'm still confused about Nintendo getting a free pass with it comes to shitty UI,matchmaking or online features.

Any other good gaming podcasts out there?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    I like the BitSocket boys aside from their "Tokyo Joe" episodes.  Idle Weekend is alright as it's just a nice chat between Danielle and Rob of Waypoint.  The other one I dip into is The Computer Game Show, but only for the E3 episodes where one person avoids all news so the others can crush their dreams afterwards.
  • The Crate and Crowbar is pretty much the only podcast I listen to, it also happens to be about games.
  • I really disliked Austin Walker when he was on the giantbombcast. Super irritating.

Speaking of the bombcast,it not been great for a while. Nothing particularly wrong with it just boring.
    I'm still confused about Nintendo getting a free pass with it comes to shitty UI,matchmaking or online features.

Any other good gaming podcasts out there?

I think bombcast is missing Dan to he honest. Beastcast is a more entertaining listen these days. But I still do both.
  • I really like Riendeau's voice for some reason.
  • Yeah Dan was good. I've not listened to beast cast for a looooong time. The last GOTY put me right off. That Abbey (?) gowl constantly arguing for Dream Daddy in EVERY category wore me down!
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Hit 42000 downloads the other week.
    Yeah I'm still podcasting but seems to have developed into a full interview type show.
    Www.werenotwizards.com for those who still haven't taken the plunge.

As for videogame podcasts, I'm finding them all pretty samey as they seem to be so news focused.
    Still listen to the computer game show which is fun but can be hit or miss as the guests can take the ribbing of each other a bit far.
    Cane and Rinse still reigns supreme due to their highly researched nature and of course I'm deeply in love with any thing twin humanities or duckfeed put out.
    Also listen to don't give up Skeleton which is all about interviewing dark souls players. Really good fun interview show.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!