Octopath Traveller
  • I wonder what the total sales are
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Dunkey perfectly sums up why people don't play these games...

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I love it.

A remake of V & VI would be ace.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I love it too, ayns.  Fantastic battle system, beautiful to behold and absolutely massive.  Would definitely figure pretty high in my top one hundred.
    Get schwifty.
  • Not purchased yet but tried the original demo, the bandit boss (chose Oberic) is a one shot cunt who does 200 damage- is he like that in the final game?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Not purchased yet but tried the original demo, the bandit boss (chose Oberic) is a one shot cunt who does 200 damage- is he like that in the final game?

Well I didn't start with Oberic but by the time I got to that particular boss he was a well-balanced challengee. 

I've only come across unbeatable one-shotters in the wild so far. I'm 4 characters in and only done the their first story missions though. 

Enjoying it enormously overall though, doing about a hour or so a night.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • I've finished all the chapter 1s, and found the main team I wanna stick with (all the girls basically), however hit a bit of a weird stage where they're all under-levelled except my main, so am having to grind tiny amounts of exp from fights. Or go to the level 20 areas and grind there, and go to an inn after every 1/2 fights since they almost obliterate me. even there, it's taking quite a few fights to get up a level, and 2 of my party are level 16...

So I guess this is why most people said it's really weirdly balanced? The area I'm going to is the lowest level provided (21).

edit: also, it doesn't level any of the other people not in my party, so I guess I'll just ignore the 4 stories not in my party for now? Maybe I go back to them once I've completed these 4, grind them out on later stages individually to power level them up to the chapter 2 levels... gah my head! It's an odd move to say the least.
  • I love JRPG, but usually hate the town sections. With Octo I just travel around the world find out about all the NPCs in the town, nick anything I can and buy sweet stuff from them if it's too tricky to steal it.

About 40 hours in and halfway through the chapter 2 stuff. Some quality party combinations.

So good.
  • 40hrs & halfway through chapter 2, I need to get my skates on. Just not had the time & energy to really get going on this yet, only done 5 hours. Seen Raz has hit over 90hrs, so I know the game is stacked.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m doing the Chapter Three rounds for all eight of the characters now. There’s one particular boss that decimated my party on several attempts, and two of the characters were significantly over-levelled.
    Get schwifty.
  • First day of hols yesterday. Octopath is my holiday game. Got to end of chapter one for hannit. Long fight with no winner. He'll be got today during when missus is having siesta.
    Peter3C
  • I'm going to do first chapter for everyone at least to see who I like... although I wonder is it actually necessary.could I just choose 4 and stick with them?
    Peter3C
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yes.
    Get schwifty.
  • Any benefit to completing all 8 stories?
    Peter3C
  • I think it's very much what the game wants you to do and the second story chapters have a hefty jump in difficulty without the natural grind. 

I think you can't choose your team freely until you've got all 8, is that right?
  • You can't add anyone without recruiting them first, but to be honest, it's good for levelling and I enjoyed all the chapter one stuff. 

Once I did them all, I found my core team and did some grinding to get them to chapter 2 (level 22-27). I think I'll stick to these 4 going forward for now, then go back and do the other characters one by one.

One thing I really appreciated in I am Setsuna/Lost Sphear, is that even if not in your party, all characters gained exp. Even those who had died. There wasn't really a difficulty issue either, some of the bosses were pretty tough still, even after some grinding.
  • I think I'll do all 8 chapter one's and see how I go. My main gripe is still not knowing how close to death bosses are. I just keep going and hope for the best
    Peter3C
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    pc71 wrote:
    I think I'll do all 8 chapter one's and see how I go. My main gripe is still not knowing how close to death bosses are. I just keep going and hope for the best

Have you noticed that when you select an enemy their name is shown?  If the name is in white they have high hit points, yellow and you’ve worn them down quite a ways and red for low hit points.  Obviously it’s not exact, but it gives you a rough idea where you’re at.  There’s also a class skill that will reveal the exact hit points of an enemy.
    Get schwifty.
  • Thanks for info. Just got class skill as well. Really enjoying this. Wandered into a secret dungeon by mistake danger level 27. Had a go. Died very quickly...
    Peter3C
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've just finally got onto the last one of the 8 in chapter 1. Main guy is about level 20, which seems like it makes him a tank to protect everyone else.
  • Going for Fourth now. Was wondering how the levelling up will even out. I suppose it'll be a case of swapping out party memebers...
    Peter3C
  • I would just like to amend my previous comment from 40 hours to 60 hours.

Where did that 20 hours go without progressing the story?

So good.
  • Value for money not going to be a problem here.
    Peter3C
  • ayns wrote:
    I would just like to amend my previous comment from 40 hours to 60 hours.

Where did that 20 hours go without progressing the story?

So good.

Aaawww shit. You have managed to bang in another 20hrs & I've only added 1. Need to get in top of this. The shame pile has not grown, as I refuse to buy God of War 4, Detroit, MoHun or Dead Cells till I clock Octo & Hollow & by the time that happens, new fruits may tempt me like the XC2 spin off, still not even done the dlc on XC2 either.

Need to stop reading about games & actually start playing the feckers. Had a few gaming lulls over the decades, but this is by far the worst I've experienced.

That said, I have had a few major life impacts this year but on reflection, if I got time to read, I got time to play.

Makeitso.Gif

• I had a dream of finishing a single character before Spiderman.

That's clearly not happening.
  • The music's lovely, eh?
  • Not sure I'll finish this cos I do not have the time to put 90 hours into anything. 9 great hours so far. I've finished 2 games this year which I'm well happy with. That's my quota for the next 2 years.
    Peter3C
  • Got tressas chapter 1 done last night..good fun
    Peter3C
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    pc71 wrote:
    Not sure I'll finish this cos I do not have the time to put 90 hours into anything. 9 great hours so far. I've finished 2 games this year which I'm well happy with. That's my quota for the next 2 years.

Then pick your favourite four characters and stick with them to at least give yourself chance of getting through the game.  Am I remembering rightly that you’re not familiar with turn-based jRPGS?  This game would be daunting to anyone not familiar and not really into the genre if you were to take on all eight of the characters.  And a word of warning: bosses in the chapter three arcs ramp up significantly in terms of difficulty.  So focusing on just four characters might give you a better chance of beating them, as none of them are falling behind in terms of levels.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yep it's my first. Thanks for advice. I'll do chapter one for everyone and then decide. Think I've decided on two though... Cyrus is my main and then I really like hannit.
    Peter3C

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!