PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Agreed, I was doing Admiral Ackbar d___b
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I read that as the admiral ackbar dab...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Somebody explain trap so. I've never heard of it.
  • Kow wrote:
    Somebody explain trap so. I've never heard of it.

I could be wrong (the Internet moves so fast these days) but I thought it referred to transsexual, transgender, or transvestite people who are attracted to straight men and deliberately passed themselves off as biological females until their man was, erm, surprised at the final fence. As it were.

I’m probably wrong. That was probably what the word meant 20 years ago.
  • I should point out this is only a thing that happens in fiction. It’s an outdated ‘straight male fear of anything different’ thing.
  • Like in trainspotting?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Trap is used, as far as I understand, for extremely passing trans women. It's mostly a term applied to younger trans who are impossible to pick out as not cis women. You see plenty of tumblrs linked as such.

The problem is, it can be seen as essentially an excuse to be used by men to say why they're attracted to good looking trans women, "hey I was fooled! She's a trap!". This can then extend to a reason or defence for violence against trans women, "hey I was fooled, I lost my shit and beat the crap of them, look, they look just like the real thing!".

As mentioned though, some younger trans use the term as a badge of honour, so it's not like it's a clear cut thing. I guess in a way it's similar to how black guys may use the term BBC when it's clear that's also a problematic term.

It's a minefield, this stuff eh? I know a trans woman for example who is voting against the gender identification thing atm. There's not a unified voice on many of these things.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Like in trainspotting?

I guess? Reminds me: Isn’t there an interview with Robert Carlyle where he theorises that Begbie was gay, based on him not just killing the trans girl after finding out?
  • Don’t forget that today is the last day you can have your say on the Gender Recognition Act - I posted the details in the feminism thread
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This may have been the most WTF? notification I’ve ever seen on my phone.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/oct/19/facebook-hires-nick-clegg-as-head-of-global-affairs
  • I agree that trap is a difficult term and should probably not be deployed, I'm broadly in line with Nick on it, it's tricky, but for the avoidance of doubt it should probably not be used, so mea culpa and all that.

That said if I was with someone I liked and they were like, yo, am trans, surprise (I am being deliberately flippant with it) I would probably be okay with it. I only say probably because it's never happened, but neither can I think of a reason why I would object if I had genuine feelings for them.

Okay, now I'm off to the nearest convention to enquire with a panel of videogame pundits if that makes me a homosexual.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • You're allowed to hate on trap if it's the hiphop species that WON"T FUCKING DIE
  • That is a valid point.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian wrote:
    This may have been the most WTF? notification I’ve ever seen on my phone.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/oct/19/facebook-hires-nick-clegg-as-head-of-global-affairs

Click Neg
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Anyone been to the contemporary games exhibition at the V&A?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Yeah, I really enjoyed it. There's some great behind the scenes stuff from development processes, both for big studios and one person indies, plus amazing artwork and awesome games. Bollo might have more incisive feedback.

I think Panty was less keen somewhere else in this thread for another perspective.
  • You've got until 11pm today to fill this out. I highly recommend it, as it is an important issue.

https://www.stonewall.org.uk/our-work/campaigns/come-out-trans-equality-0
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Cosby wrote:
    Yeah, I really enjoyed it. There's some great behind the scenes stuff from development processes, both for big studios and one person indies, plus amazing artwork and awesome games. Bollo might have more incisive feedback. I think Panty was less keen somewhere else in this thread for another perspective.

Yeah... Got tickets as a gift.

I thought it was mostly great.

Loved the Journey and Bloodborne exhibits. Was nice to be able to share the type of stuff I'd always appreciated in Edge with my nephew.

But while I've named-checked Edge, I thought aspects of the exhibition came across as superficial. Especially the dumb ass cinema presentations, and the rather lightweight section exploring the impact of videogames on society.

But overlooking that, I'll admit to almost welling up in seeing such an exhibition, and how seriously the V&A appeared to be taking it.

I'm considering booking a place at one of the workshops if the subject is interesting enough to me.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I had a bit of an online security issue tonight. I happened to be going through some stuff on my account settings on eBay when I noticed that my email address was set as some random thing entirely. Clearly someone has had access to my eBay account and changed the registered email address. It’s a bad one to get infiltrated, as my eBay and Paypal accounts are linked, like most people’s. And Paypal’s linked straight to my bank account.

I’ve wiped it clean, put my own email address back in, changed passwords across as many websites as I can think of (all to different passwords, of course) and set up two-factor authorisation anywhere I could but hadn’t already.

Not much else I can do, and I’m grateful to have caught this before the infiltrator made any moves. They hadn’t purchased anything, hadn’t taken any cash, etc. Most likely they were laying low and would start with small purchases in a few months time – then once proven solid, sell the account details to someone else.

Anyway, I headed straight over to haveibeenpwned.com to check my various email addresses against known hacks. There do seem to be a few big ones since last time I checked. I highly recommend using it to check up on your own past security – if nothing else it gives you a reality check on any old passwords you really should be changing.

Most times anything of mine gets compromised, it turns out to be linked to a Ubisoft account or old accounts with XMBC-based apps like Plex and Boxee. Anywhere I’ve used a similar password to one of those gets pwned pretty regularly. Watch yourselves, chaps.
  • Have I been pwned dot com? Does pwned actually mean something other than an 'owned' typo then, or is that just a terrible name for a serious website?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ah come on! And you a gamer.
  • Apparently it is the owned/pwned thing, I knew that. Didn't realise it had shifted into account hacking jargon, thought it was just for commentating on teabagging and suchlike.
  • Applies to, and is equally stupid for, anything really.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Trap is used, as far as I understand, for extremely passing trans women. It's mostly a term applied to younger trans who are impossible to pick out as not cis women. You see plenty of tumblrs linked as such. The problem is, it can be seen as essentially an excuse to be used by men to say why they're attracted to good looking trans women, "hey I was fooled! She's a trap!". This can then extend to a reason or defence for violence against trans women, "hey I was fooled, I lost my shit and beat the crap of them, look, they look just like the real thing!". As mentioned though, some younger trans use the term as a badge of honour, so it's not like it's a clear cut thing. I guess in a way it's similar to how black guys may use the term BBC when it's clear that's also a problematic term. It's a minefield, this stuff eh? I know a trans woman for example who is voting against the gender identification thing atm. There's not a unified voice on many of these things.

I find the best solution is to use all the terms all the time.
  • I find the best solution is to use all the terms all the time.

Trap? Pwned.
  • Is Initiative Q going to make me rich then? Because if so, I need you all to sign up and be a part of my pyramid.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!