Stadia - now "free" for a month or two
  • a streaming service that needs a sub to use and you have to buy the games still seems a bit stupid.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Game pricing will be key.
    If they go in full Microsoft "£60 please thank you", it will tank.
  • Our nbn (national broadband network) is over budget by fucktonnes, its not yet rolled out everywhere and is already outdated. It's an open question whether it'll be faster than what I have now when it comes.

The joys of our Tories being incompetent and winning any election with fear.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sparse populations will always have problems with this. Ireland is a decent example and they're far from sparse comparitively. Investment in mobile is really the only sensible way to get decent enough speeds up. Look at nations like Finland, where they treat access to information (internet) as a human right and therefore have to invest in making sure that everyone has some form of gateway
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Down with this sort of thing. -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47634263?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/crnn9p2ng2kt/google-stadia&link_location=live-reporting-correspondent

So - good news games companies, then? History offers a mixed picture.

The big fear will be in succumbing to what has happened to the music industry. Streaming has meant royalty payments have been squeezed so dramatically, even elite musicians can struggle to make a living through record sales. (It's not the stars worst hit, it's worth noting, but the trumpet players to the stars, and so on)

In the TV/movie business, the deep pockets of Netflix et al have meant studios seem more flush than ever, but you wonder how long that can continue. The $15bn Netflix is planning to spend on new content this year is considered by most investors to be wholly untenable.

So that leaves Google, and for Google it is undoubtedly a good move. Without any existing skin in the game of gaming platforms, there is little to lose and everything to gain. Google sees YouTube, where billions of hours of gaming have been uploaded, as just one half of a very lucrative puzzle. Stadia (it hopes) will make up the rest.

‘Microtransactions inevitable'

A bigger question, though, might be how the games themselves may have to change in order to accommodate a new business model if streaming becomes the dominant way consumers access their games.

It might leave publishers bereft of a huge income stream, instead scrapping - with the rest of the industry - for a slice of those $15-30-a-months.

For big publishers, massive reach, and exclusivity deals, might make the numbers just about add up. And for tiny indie developers, with one or two people, that might work well: a huge audience a button click away.

But to me, the model shows signs it could leave a very exposed middle ground of medium-sized games makers, whose costs are too high to be offset by the amount of players the title will attract. With many of the most creative ideas coming via these nimble-yet-powerful studios, I worry what an even tougher business model might do.

Now, the wild success and profitability of free-to-play Fortnite, which offers cosmetic upgrades for a fee, shows games makers can make astronomical amounts of money without an upfront cost or overly-intrusive in-game monetisation. But how many Fortnite-esque successes can the market sustain? Two? Three?

If it does indeed go for a subscription model, Google has some important decisions to make about how will dish money out to publishers.

On YouTube, one of the stats that determines how much ad revenue creators get is "minutes watched”. In gaming, "minutes played” could lead to some developers introducing gameplay mechanics that are counter-intuitive to a good time, but vital if they are to gain income.

Or, developers might have to make up the loss of funds by encouraging players to pay for additional items to progress more quickly, in a far more aggressive manner than console gamers are used to today.

The ad-laden, endorphin-pumping, lootbox-peddling mobile gaming industry might be considered the canary in a very miserable coal-mine, here. Paying for a games console, and its games, may not be such a bad thing after all.
  • I hope it dies in a fire.

The idea of playing a fighting game on it makes me want to vomit my ribcage up.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I preordered it.

:)
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm going to get a mate's buddy pass. Interested to see how it plays.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So does even a pro sub not give you full access to the games? You then need to buy stuff on top??
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah looks like you have to buy games (full, monopolistic price) and then pay a sub on top to actually play them. Hmm. I guess with the Pro sub you get some games free, but Destiny 2 does not excite me...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I thought Destiny 2 was going F2P anyway?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well indeed
  • I just don't see any reason to use Stadia. It's like a monthly sub to use my console with added lag thrown in. And no way do I want to play games on my phone.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Best bit of the Stadia online store, in the product description:

Resolution: Up to 4K

Frame rate: 60 FPS

Sound: 5.1 surround sound

Buy games whenever you want: Yes

Additional free games released regularly: Yes, starting with Destiny 2: The Collection

There’s a package where you can’t buy games when you want?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I guess they mean the ability to purchase through GoogleSTire n mobile and install on the commute
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • A sub as just an entrance fee is a poor proposition for people like us that are happy paying upfront for a console. And I doubt the Johnny casuals want a monthly game sub to play games that they’ve never really bothered with before. Maybe if you just play FIFA / Madden and the odd other thing it makes sense maybe.
  • It's basically like renting a console I guess, if you can't afford one. But in the long term it's more expensive.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I presume it’s to pay for hardware and OS updates etc. How does it equate to say console plus a console sub for 5 years?
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    It's not really like a console if the promise holds up to provide 4k60 consistently.  Happy to be proved wrong but I believe no console can do that without some other funky shenanigans.

Either way I'm keen to see what it turns out like and 9 a month to play just the three games I mentioned at that fidelity?  Easy.

Edit - Destiny 2 New Light is the core game and year one stuff so it's a big chunk but not the more recent things.  Destiny The Collection is everything, including ShadowKeep.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If that includes freebies as you go, ala GamePass then £540 across 5 years for new kit isn’t too bad.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Whilst I did think there was a lot more, I think it will be just a game a month at the start.  Basically PS+ free stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just checked the google store and it’s another £120 for the controller and chrome cast.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Yeah, to get in on launch it's 120 quid.  Gets you the controller, Chromecast Ultra, 3 months of Pro for you and a mate, and a username that doesn't have the battlenet style numbering.

It's a little pricey for what you get.
  • Depends if you want/need the Chromecast Ultra really.

The controller is £60 which is about going rate for rrp controllers.
    Chromecast Ultra is £60-£70.

So you get the subs for free I guess.
  • jpg

4K if you have decent fibre. And it will be '4K', but not like actual 4k from a console or PC. There'll be compression artifacts, blockiness and such. 60 FPS, but the benefit of that will be offset a bit by the inevitable input lag. And 5.1 surround, but necessarily compressed to fuck, not great for audio enthusiasts but probably fine for most.

Looking at the specs for Stadia, you can basically get the same performance from a new PC build for £750 or less, or potentially much cheaper with good used deals. And then you have none of the above downsides, have a proper game library, and upgrade it for years to come. You don't have the ability to play wherever unless you do some remote access stuff (which is a possibility), but that assumes you regularly travel between places with really decent internet, don't know how common that is. In-home streaming of your games is super easy though.

So I'm super unconvinced basically. It will be useful for some I'm sure, but the quality will not match PC and not console in many cases. The tech has it's place, and I'd like to see experiences designed specifically for it like big MMO stuff, but be wary of marketing guff making this out to be every bit as good as dedicated hardware.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message

Don't know this guy and Google did pay for him to go and view it, so make of that what you will, but interesting demo. The Q&A at the end feels very PR based and the influencer has obviously been fed a lot of those questions.
  • I think I'm in day 1.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    My only moment of pause is I've only recently purchased a swanky laptop, so buying this I'd end up playing a lot of the same games, but it's anywhere near what this guy is claiming in the demo, I'm very tempted. And if anyone can do it from an infrastructure viewpoint, it's Google.
  • You have to put up with Norm but this is a really interesting video if only at a tech level, I still have my issues at a product level.

A few things in there I didnt realise like Stadia games arent just the PC version but optimised with the Stadia team.
    Naguvely running at 120hz but displaying at 60hz to almost buffer latency.

It's a marketing puff piece and the proof will always be in the pudding but if they can back up these claims it could work. It does seem like they have properly and extensively considered the issues facing cloud gaming.
  • At the same time if it doesn't work it is going to look fucking odd, worse than just framerate or latency drops.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!