Astral Chain - Batonetta?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Having spent a bit of time with this game, it's solid, certainly, but I find the control system somewhat oppugnant to the intent to present a free flowing action game.

For a start, I find the default controls unusual (the trigger button for attacks), and undoubtedly felt more comfortable after changing the scheme.

Also, while the legion conceit is extremely inventive, the free attacking AI subverts and dilutes your intent in a way Bayonetta never could with it's rather explicit controls.

But this game is thematically brilliant. Near genius.
    Like a highly rated anime feature...

And certainly, the story fucks with Evangelion a fair piece. Though I suspect I have a great deal more to see.

I'm certainly intrigued enough to put the time in. :]
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I bought this, it's really good. I thought I was doing ok even though it was hard until I realised I was still in the tutorial more or less.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    P.S. The control system invokes a fleeting memory of Treasure's Freak Out on PS2, which I liked a lot...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ooh, I remember that. Boss battle wavy arm madness.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Really fucking annoying that when you shoot you start moving backwards. I'm trying to shoot stuff but I keep falling backwards off a platform. I don't see the point of it .
  • I like this game a lot, but I found that the legion can also go wonky sometimes which was a frustrating experience earlier when I was fighting 
    Spoiler:
    PSN: Trampoline_Hero | Switcheroo: SW-4808-6417-1689
  • Game crashed on me last night as I was really getting into it. Annoying.

Never had a switch game crash on me before which made it extra weird
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Slay The Spire crashed quite a bit before the first update.
  • Mine never crashed. Hmmm.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Okay so during File 03 "Link" I'm at a part where
    Spoiler:

Halp
  • When the combat clicks this is very very good. You get so overwhelmed at first you just end up hammering R2 and B to dodge, then when you start learning stuff it becomes great. For the first 5 missions I got consistent D ranks, rarely get less than B now. Though I've missed every fucking toilet fairy there is somehow.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I just finished File 02, and yes it can feel semi-removed when you're used to instant-Bayonetta-type-gratification, but having seen the unlockable Legions and the combos they're capable of, it reminds me of W101, which i adore!! 

Its my holiday Switch game, so i'll be playing it all month. And hopefully laughing in the face of D Rank.
    Spoiler:

Halp
    Got it. Stupid game/me.
    Spoiler:
    Halp
    Got it. Stupid game/me.
    Was it the graffiti kid?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Nah the couple in the scaffolding above
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    It's a small detail, but I really like how the game penalises the player for unnecessary collateral damage.

It took a while to get the memory of that manic first file out of my system, but now that the game's simmered down, it's really drawn me into it's world.

I'm not that far in though, tbh.
  • Curtis wrote:
    Its my holiday Switch game, so i'll be playing it all month. And hopefully laughing in the face of D Rank.

Is it bad that I’m playing in Casual mode? No rankings to make me feel bad.
  • \o

The answer is no, btw. It’s not bad.
  • I stuck it on normal straight away, had to use a few health items on the first real boss...
    Spoiler:
  • I stuck it on normal straight away, had to use a few health items on the first real boss...
    Spoiler:

Same here, but I don't think it was necessarily the difficulty, but rather that the camera was a bit too close, making it a hard to read attacks and dodge.
  • Andy wrote:
    Curtis wrote:
    Is it bad that I’m playing in Casual mode? No rankings to make me feel bad.

I played it on casual for the first couple of chapters, but the constant prompts to change play style led me to switch to normal, and I actually felt the game was better for it.  It’s still fairly easy (I’m yet to get a game over, and I’m rubbish) but the feedback on challenges has made me have more fun with it, and move away from mashing.  

I still have some frustrations with the game itself - I don’t think I’ve ever played anything with so many invisible walls for instance, and the camera is a bastard at times.  None the less, I’m on chapter 10, and I’m having a blast...
  • On file 5, it’s good but find the changes of game styles a bit annoyin.
    Not feeling the love somehow
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    It's a really interesting game. Exceptionally well crafted and difficult to fault,
    but it does draw an occasional 'eh?' out of you more than once, and for a variety of different reasons.

I'm still flaked out by the confusing start, for example.

But it's so fucking cool it's impossible to stay in anyway angry about anything in there.

I'm predicting an Edge 9, but this could so easily end up with a 7, or an 8, or even a 10.
    I think a 10 would be extremely generous though.

Never lower than a 7, I'm, sure.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Bercow... Talk about enjoying your last day at work...

edit - LOL! Wrong thread! Keeping this here.
  • Beast Legion is a pain in the arse to drive.
  • Picked this up again after File 2 and just learned a load of new stuff. The chain jump and attack seems like a game changer. But damn there's a lot to remember and it just keeps piling on more info. I hope it all falls into place at some point, because it seems like a fantastic system.
  • I'm at a point where I'm unsure as to whether Casual is of detriment to my enjoyment. I'll keep going.

Also, checkpointing could be better. Still really enjoying it though.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Picked this up again after File 2 and just learned a load of new stuff. The chain jump and attack seems like a game changer. But damn there's a lot to remember and it just keeps piling on more info. I hope it all falls into place at some point, because it seems like a fantastic system.

I've gone from finding combat limiting, to putting it on par with Bayonetta.
    But the controls are still intense.

Are people still using the default controls? I've switched to D, I think. Which puts the attack button on the face of the controller instead of the trigger, and it's felt much better.

But it's still extremely complicated. Even the scheme for sprinting and crouching is very different.

It's successful, sure, but I always worry about the thumbstick giving way.

This game go HAM though. It really is like playing a slick anime.
  • JonB wrote:
    Picked this up again after File 2 and just learned a load of new stuff. The chain jump and attack seems like a game changer. But damn there's a lot to remember and it just keeps piling on more info. I hope it all falls into place at some point, because it seems like a fantastic system.

I've gone from finding combat limiting, to putting it on par with Bayonetta.
    But the controls are still intense.

Are people still using the default controls? I've switched to D, I think. Which puts the attack button on the face of the controller instead of the trigger, and it's felt much better.

But it's still extremely complicated. Even the scheme for sprinting and crouching is very different.

It's successful, sure, but I always worry about the thumbstick giving way.

This game go HAM though. It's really is like playing a slick anime.

I’m fine with the basic controls now, which have clicked quite nicely. (My reaction times remain terrible, but the game offers some ways round that for creaking old farts like me.)

However there’s one bit that I’ve not really mastered...
    Spoiler:

As for worrying about breaking your thumb sticks, there was a moment where I was convinced I was going to destroy them...
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!