Darkwood
  • CA_deep_final_HD.png

This came out in 2017, but doesn't seem to have it's own thread. I think it deserves one, so here we are. Looks like it's been very under the radar, but has seen console releases this year. Go check it out.

It's made by a tiny Polish studio, and is a top-down survival horror, not typical jumpscare horror but proper dread inducing creepy hide-in-the-corner waiting and desperately hoping to survive sort of scary.

I haven't actually played this yet, though I plan too soon. I watched a Twitch streamer play though this over a few days earlier this month and was just blown away by how well the game is done. The combination of the field of view limited vision and real darkness, fantastic and terrifying sound design, brutal and desperate combat, and very compelling and bittersweet story and characters totally drew me into the world. Proper edge of the seat stuff, even watching someone else play it. The sound design in particular really immerses you into the world, and the music adds to this. There's some beautiful little compositions in there that have found a place in my mind, when I get the game I'll get the OST too.

There's elements that are reminiscent of Souls games, the dark vibe and the lack of hand holding, and the semi-open design of the world. The feel reminds me a bit of something like The Road too, the almost unremitting darkness and struggle to survive, with small moments of reprieve and light. There's different ways to approach a playthrough and the story, even after seeing the streamer complete it I'm really looking forward to experiencing it myself, and exploring the world.

I'm planning on getting it soon, hopefully it will be on sale for Halloween. I think it could maybe take a spot in my top ten of the decade perhaps, I'll see how I like the gameplay. It could take a spot for overall sound design for sure. It's holding a place in my mind, even after a few weeks.

If you haven't played it yet and the above sounds interesting, don't spoil anything for yourself and go get it. There's some fantastic jaw dropping moments in the story, I'll leave it at that. It's out on PC, Xbox, PS4, Switch. I don't know if there's any technical issues with the console versions though, so research accordingly. For those of you into streaming it would make for a great spooky stream. There's plenty to discover and things to try out, so might make for good discussion.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    On sale on Bone atm fwiw. £9.09.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've owned it for about two years and am yet to play it.
  • How much on switch?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They gave it away free at one point. I have the download somewhere.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Who is they?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The developers.
  • On my list to play. On switch when price comes down.
  • They released a torrent of the game for people to try the game out, and to combat key resellers. Good stuff. I will be buying it though.

I listened to some of the OST again earlier, I love it, it's completely the sort of ambience I listen to all the time. Be aware that there are minor and major spoilers abound for this game, in articles, screenshots, comments. I definitely recommend going in blind, it's wonderfully fucked up.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    is it rogue-like (so Don't Starve stylee), or actual story/plot/crafted world?
  • I think I have this somewhere.

Been on wishlist for a while if not.

Defo wanna play.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    is it rogue-like (so Don't Starve stylee), or actual story/plot/crafted world?

An interesting mix of both, with definite story and characters, but with some randomly created and placed stuff in the world. I'm not sure to what extent yet. There's a good RPS article on the dev's design journey, but obvs avoid for spoilers.
  • I watched a short let's play of this and thought it looked neat. And creepy. Maybe too creepy for me the big baby
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I think I'll get this.

There was a game that looked similar to Darkwood, top down survival thing, set in a forest. You had to ensure your house was locked up right at night, and there was wandering around rooms and turning on generators and staying alive til dawn was the go I think.

Anyone remember that?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Spoiler:
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Good defective work, Sherlock

And an apt autoincorrect
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Does that word exist? I might coin it
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'll coin you
  • Halloween Steam sale is up, and Darkwood is on sale.

£4.79 for the game.

£10.39 for the deluxe which includes the soundtrack and artbook. Boughted.

Pretty excited to get into it, with some trepidation as I know how tough it is.
  • So dunno if I mentioned this but, this game is scary..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!