Half-Life: Alyx - It's PC gone mad
  • Yep, should give a good indication of the shinies and general polish. Apparently they've even made the game in specific colour palettes that are good for VR - avoiding glare etc.

IGN starts @ 7pm

https://twitter.com/DMC_Ryan/status/1233552544825167872?s=20
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Ah, is the colour palette how they get away with using apparently suboptimal lenses?
  • I think so. Glare with the Index is a funny one. It's nowhere near as bad as the Vive but it's also different. It's more on the outer peripheral smear, the Vive was like an infinite mirror effect. You notice the Index glare in high contrast title screens. You can tell just by looking at some screenshots it won't be a problem with the game.
  • They went with that Fresnel btw because it suits the double optics of the Index. One of the cool things about the Index is the large clarity spot - a large part of the image looks clear without having to look directly at it. This really pulled immersion in the Vive as you had to look around like Batman and couldn't really just swivel your eyes.

Edit: https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index-teardown-disassembly-lenses-optics-diffuser-ipd-mechansim/
  • Obvs massive spoilers.

• Trailers.

• "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Thank you SG, but going in dark for this. Or could buckle at the slightest reason.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • It's 18hrs long. That's a lot of intense VR gaming.
  • Thank you SG, but going in dark for this. Or could buckle at the slightest reason.

Fwiw it looks amaze. Scary but amaze. The writing is genuinely funny. I don't mind small reveals but I'm not going to unearth too much before launch.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Staying blind on this too as I’ll be too tempted to get it and I refuse!! For now.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I only have one question: will there be a scene where your brains get sucked out through a proboscis.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I do like the alternate look of the Combine soldiers. This is a prequel right? I can definitely see some elements of unused concept art for them from the Raising the Bar art book.
  • Yeah prequel. I think it's set just after the 7hr war.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    18 hours long is great info, cheers SG.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Oooo maybe we'll see the big water tentacle alien they cut from HL2.
  • 18 hours long is great info, cheers SG.

Judging by the clips it's going to be an intense 18hrs too. There's a lot packed in here. Source 2 looks lovely, the attention to detail is astounding.
  • Think I'm more excited now then after the first reveal.
  • Spoiler:

Control spoiler above, no story or owt ^^
  • Yeah, watch the first 9min vid.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Control spoiler above, no story or owt ^^
    Spoiler:
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Ah right, sorry I watched the first min or so then skipped.
  • It's nice to watch one of the trailers playing out the same bit as the 9min vid but slightly differently.
  • Looks bonkers astonishing. This game will blow the doors off VR.
  • It certainly looks impressive in those vids.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yeah the Source 2 engine looks great, as it should - they've been building it around VR for years. You can currently (AFAIK) only see it in The Lab but oddly, only in the Portal Repair bit. Things are way better looking in that than any other VR game to date and that's 4 yrs old. In many ways it goes to show how little VR has advanced since 2016.
  • Quick summary of various hmds for Alyx according to bits and pieces from Reddit, for those who are going to cave to VR:

Index

Pros: Obviously the best experience - the game was built around it and it's controllers. Comfort, clarity, sound, tracking and fov - all great. 

Cons: Price. Stupid expensive compared to the bargainous Oculus hmds. Glare could be better in other games.

Rift S

Pros: Clarity good, controls good (but lacking full finger tracking functionality available for Alyx), comfort ok, price. Tracking is fine - not as accurate as Index but any blind spots it has are not a problem with Alyx by all accounts. 

Cons: Sound - just grim, heaphones essential but a layer of discomfort over long sessions. Vertical fov not great - verticality of the game makes it not ideal for Alyx but horizontal fov ok. Bit of a halfway house - seems a bit redundant since the Quest now does PC. 

Quest

Pros: Price - best in class, especially since full PC functionality via Link. Controls are good - same as Rift S. Tracking fine - same as Rift. Glare ok.

Cons: Fov - same as Rift S. Visuals - fine in some places but heavy artifacts in some levels due to compression over the Link. Mist and fog suffer (like the subway levels) but in brightly lit areas it's fine. More screen door than either Rift S or Index. Comfort is poor. Sound is poor but it has a headphone jack like Rift. 

Vive

Pros: Can be found cheap, and a canny way to invest in the Valve tracking solution for future upgrades. If you have a Vive then you can get an Index sans controllers for £460 (iirc). 

Cons: Everything else but especially the controllers. In Alyx you can't even reload your gun without twatting them together.

Window Mixed Reality HMDs

Obviously all different depending on resolution, comfort etc. Mainly though,

Pros: Cheap, sometimes very cheap. The Samsung odyssey+ has a pretty great screen and can be found for as little as £200 - probs best screen for the money.

Cons: Controls - awful, without exception. Inside out tracking solution not in the same class as Oculus.

Overview

The Quest has it's faults - especially physical comfort over long sessions (but this can be modded to an extent if you don't mind getting your hands dirty) but also sensory comfort. This is more important for longer games like Alyx then most realise. However, it's astonishingly good value and probably the best one for most people as an entry level hmd. Best of all it can play certain games untethered. Most of those games are not very deep but you could argue this is the case for most of VR as it stands. AND YOU CAN JUST GO IN A FIELD AND PLAY MASSIVE ROOMSCALE! Facebook though. 

For deeper, longer games like Alyx and simulators, then Index is the best. It's so well thought out and once you try thr FOV and clarity it's very hard to go back. Mainly though it's the physical and sensory comfort. You can wear it for hours and have long play sessions just as you could sitting at a normal monitor. It's major fault, apart from price, is a biggie. You have to set up a VR space and play only there. You can't just go and play it in the bedroom. For Alyx though and things like simulators it will give you the best possible experience. 

If you see a really cheap Odyssey+ then it might be worth it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!