The B&B Musicians/Producers/DJs Thread
  • The track wiring view looks for example should be really useful, makes signal routing that much more intuitive.

Yeah this very obviously owns. The best DAW* getting better.

*It's Fruity really, but
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Not proper poly unfortunately, just para. There are better 4-voice analogue synths in its bracket like the silver Korg thing.
    Is that analogue? I thought it was a digital analogue hybrid thing?
    If you're talking about the Minilogue, it's analogue. Though there is the newer Monologue X D which has an additional custom Digital Oscillator and some other tweaks.
  • Actively listening to more music has had me watching drum vids again, has me hankering to play again.

This is an inconvenient instrument to dabble in with minimal prep.

So now all I need is a new kit, room, and sound proofing.

Ffs.

Anyhoo, the amount of good teaching content on youtube is awesome.

https://youtu.be/z_9AHWGQg_c

Enjoyed this and feel like the lessons cover not just metal.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • https://youtu.be/S1BNRvPVGqY

Dave weckl being a boss.

Saw him back to back with Virgil a few years back.

Their clinics were different in ways that become obvious as soon as you watch them.

Virgil did a maths lesson. With some crazy uber odd time rudiments exercises.

Dave weckl spent his time discussing the biomechanics of playing drums and feel etc.

You can hear the work he put into his technique clearly in this clip.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Korg are giving their Kaossilator for Android and iOS away for free so people can entertain themselves at home in isolation. It's usually 18€ and it's a fun little thing.
    https://www.korg.com/uk/news/2020/0313/?fbclid=IwAR3AG1NGdU8bfdKIxGriMqpQ7fSF8T_Vc_dtBrFp7bNASFXF3xTQM0JG5-g
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Oooh, cheers Kow, will have a play
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I enjoyed making the sounds go woooooo, thanks Kow :)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bah, not on android.
  • I've ordered a Korg Prologue 16, my first ever real analogue synth! It was nearly a whole month's pay but whatever :)

s-l1600.jpg

I was looking at the Minilogue X D module and just thought, fuck it, might as well go all in and get this badboy. It will probably hold its value well, I hope! Anyone here have one?
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    ZMM wrote:
    I've ordered a Korg Prologue 16, my first ever real analogue synth! It was nearly a whole month's pay but whatever :) s-l1600.jpg I was looking at the Minilogue X D module and just thought, fuck it, might as well go all in and get this badboy. It will probably hold its value well, I hope! Anyone here have one?
    Nice! Been eying up an X D module myself but that's a distant dream currently. Prologue looks awesome. 

Edit: hoping to pick up that little DIY Korg NTS synth that's basically the digital oscillator/FX from the X D and Prologue.
  • Vastik wrote:
    ZMM wrote:
    I've ordered a Korg Prologue 16, my first ever real analogue synth! It was nearly a whole month's pay but whatever :) s-l1600.jpg I was looking at the Minilogue X D module and just thought, fuck it, might as well go all in and get this badboy. It will probably hold its value well, I hope! Anyone here have one?
    Nice! Been eying up an X D module myself but that's a distant dream currently. Prologue looks awesome.  Edit: hoping to pick up that little DIY Korg NTS synth that's basically the digital oscillator/FX from the X D and Prologue.

Currently £450.99 at Juno: https://www.juno.co.uk/products/korg-minilogue-xd-4-voice-polyphonic-analogue/732457-01/
  • Hi so the synth sounds amazing, I'm trying to connect it to my MacBook, I need a midi to Usb cable right??
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Why would you need midi for an analogue synth? Unless you're using it as a controller for audio software. If what you want to do is record the audio from the synth to the laptop, then you'll need to get a usb audio interface.
  • Invest in a nice interface, something like the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 which has MIDI connections and greater than two line outputs so you can route sounds through an effects unit or mixer.
  • Kow wrote:
    Why would you need midi for an analogue synth? Unless you're using it as a controller for audio software. If what you want to do is record the audio from the synth to the laptop, then you'll need to get a usb audio interface.

Do you mean an L and R audio to USB cable? I'm just looking to play the synth as an external midi instrument on Logic, but at the moment it's recognising it only as a keyboard, as it's connected via USB only. And yes Gurt I will definitely invest in something like that but I've done about as much investing as I can for one month :') so all I need now is a sub £20 cable so I can record some of my jams!?
  • Ok. From what I can tell it seems like you should be able to send data from the computer to the synth just using USB, though you may need a driver which you can download from Korg's site. Read up on it here, page 66 onwards. You'll probably need to tell Logic to output MIDI data to the USB device, and on the correct channel, there should be some good tutorials around that cover general MIDI stuff with Logic.
  • I don't think you need another cable, unless you want to record the audio, in which case you need an audio interface such as the one I suggested, or something much cheaper that would also do the basic job of audio input into the computer.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You should really go for the audio interface, it seems a waste to just use such a nice synth as a midi device in Logic.
  • What advantages does an audio interface have? This synth has an amazing array of reverb, delay options as well as the ability to make custom patches, I don't really want to alter the sounds that much other than maybe a bit of bitcrushing or extra reverb.

Thank you both for your help I'm very grateful. It only came with a quick start guide so I really should read this manual from top to toe, cheers for finding that!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You can't record the synth into Logic without an audio interface, you won't get any sound. You'll need to run the audio output into the device.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What are you listening to the synth through at the moment?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yeah a midi interface won;t scratch the surface of what that synth is possible of. It essentially becomes a joystick for whatever DAW you are using. I always usedto use the MAudio 1010LT, but I'm sure there is similar but more modern stuff around nowadays. You can connect via both MIDI and audio so you can record the amazing sounds you find in the synth, as well as switching to midi mode and use it to control all the clips and samples you've already laid down
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow wrote:
    What are you listening to the synth through at the moment?

Headphones

I did have a big message here but it didn't send
  • Kow wrote:
    You can't record the synth into Logic without an audio interface, you won't get any sound. You'll need to run the audio output into the device.

Can you recommend me one please? And tell me what wires to buy. I really don't know what I'm doing, I don't get why there's MIDI and also line output, I just want to press stuff and make sounds. :(
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    MIDI doesn't output any actual sounds, it's a set of instructions to be interpreted by a music making programme. for example "select instrument number 1, play frequency of 260Hz, for 3000 milliseconds" obviously it can become more complicated than that

You can use the synth keyboard (and probably a lot of it's knobs and sliders) to control a midi instrument inside your computer with more control and instinctiveness than a mouse and keyboard (yeah I know). You can also (probably) use a set of MIDI instructions on your computer to change the siund of your synth while yo are playing something, kinda like flipping your classic casio keyboard from, piano to bass mid song, but letting the computer control that according to what you've already programmed

The line output allows you to record the sounds you generate with the synth, or to play them live through an amplifier, sound desk, power whatever
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I've not used this specific interface, but have used plenty of Behringer gear, and yes it's cheap, but it'l take some abuse and always sounds "good enough". This seems to fit the bill of what you need and if yo decide later yo want more control or whatever you can switch it out

linky here

Review here, I've not watched, so could be shit

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There are plenty of decent USB interfaces - Roland, Muto, FocusRite and loads more. A friend just bought a Muto and swears by it. I've had a Roland for years and it's great. You'll want a small one likethe Roland Rubix 22 or 24, unless you're planning on recording multiple instruments at the same time with a band or something. I'm not familiar with that particular synth but I'd imagine there are two audio outputs on the back. For the best sound you'll want to connect them to the inputs of the usb interface. 

Line out usually will do headphones or something but I doubt it's up to decent quality audio. Midi doesn't carry audio, it only carries signals that tell the computer that a key has been presses, a knob turned etc but no actual sound. It's useful to connect so that your synth can sync with a DAW but you need to connect the audio too. I don't know what cables you'll need specifically but I would suppose they'll be standard audio cables. Take a photo of the connection and ask in a shop.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!