The Greatest Guitarist of All Time Bracket. May (lol) Madness. Elite 8. Red Dave xoxoxox
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Slash my hairy arse.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    YES IT WORKED.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What would you like us to slash your arse with?
  • Facewon wrote:
    1B582XZ.pngtaXsqTQ.png

So yeah, as Nick assumed. 

Here are the Head to Heads we're voting on. 4 from Pool A and 4 from Pool D.

I agree with all of these so double
    Count them as my vote
    The Forum Herald™
  • I think Brian May would Slash his wrists if he knew he was up against Robert Johnson.
  • Slash
    BB King
    John Lee Hooker
    Les Paul

Jimi Hendrix
    Robert Johnson
    Eddie Van Halen
    Mark Knopfler
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    Slash my hairy arse.

Heard on sauchiehall st
  • Did we do James dean bradfield?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Boy, I'm beginning to regret my elaborate points system. The mathematics is more complicated than I know how to type symbols-wise and so I won't be able to explain my working properly and like suspicious maths teachers my indisputably correct answers presented as is will be treated with suspicion you;ll think I;m just picking random answrs rahter than scurpulously analysiing and numermonlogucally interpetssing the guiatsr as figors thatn reprseing the playes inguwsoitn wont you iknew it i knew i knewit all along damn your bastard i'm oign to have a crumpet
  • Done crumpet.

Slash (Kris Derrig Les Paul) - Narrow strap/heavy guitar (+1), pickup covers removed (-2), Les Paul copy not made by Gibson which was apparently better than the Les Pauls which were being made by Gibson at the time (+2), signature edition which is made by Gibson and is therefore a copy of the copy of their own guitar (-37) Total: -36
    Johnny Marr (Rickenbacker 330) - Ric (+10) Total: 10
    Result: Johnny Marr

John Frusciante (’62 Strat) - natural wear (+3), but he seems to have terrible aim (-3) Total: 0
    B.B. King (Gibson Lucille) - nominal anthropomorphism (-4), eschewance of unnecessary f-holes (+2), Varitone switch (+3), signature edition (-5) Total: -4
    Result: John Frusciante

Robert Fripp (Les Paul Custom) - middle pickup (+1), curly lead (-3) Total: -2
    John Lee Hooker (’64 Epiphone Sheraton II) - Epiphone pre-Gibson defamation (+4), posthumous signature edition (n/a) Total: 4
    Result John Lee Hooker

Les Paul (Gibson Les Paul Recording II) - played ugliest version of own signature model (+6) Total: 6
    Vernon Reid (ESP Mirage) - ESP before they were everywhere (+2), lurid paint job (+3.9) Total: 5.9
    Result: Les Paul

Jimi Hendrix (’68 Strat) - CBS Fender (-4), couldn’t even be bothered to find a left-handed version of what was the most commonly available electric guitar even back then (+2), posthumous signature edition (n/a) Total: -2
    Prince (David Husain Cloud) - luthier obscurity (+5), shape weirdness (+7), unofficial signature editions (n/a), not a real cloud (-15) Total: -3
    Result: Jimi Hendrix

Robert Johnson (The Gibson L-1) - The 'The' in the The Gibson logo (+3), posthumous signature edition (n/a) Total: 3
    Brian May (Brian and his Dad Red Special) - brand obscurity (+5), Special-is-comparative-but-since-there-is-no-Red-Regular-there-can’t-logically-be-a-Red-Special misnomer (-1), mantelpiece usage (-7), signature edition (-5) Total: -8
    Result: Robert Johnson

Eddie Van Halen (Frankenstrat) - tape, tape, tape everywhere (-4651321789)
    Jimmy Page (Gibson EDS-1275) - ridiculous (+9) Total: 9
    Result: Jimmy Page

Mark Knopfler (Flying resonator on the cover of the blue and pink album) - I don’t think it’s actually played on the blue and pink album so it has no business being on the cover (-10), which is good because, think about it, if you were a guitar, would you want to be played on a Dire Straits album? No, no, of course you wouldn’t (+10) Total: 0
    Eric Clapton ('The Fool' SG) - lurid paint job (+3.9), unofficial signature editions (n/a) Total 3.9
    Result: Eric Clapton
  • Hmmmmmm...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Well actually if I were a guitar I'd love to be played on a Dire Straits album actually. Even the last one.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Can't argue with any of that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Did we do James dean bradfield?

This list is a fucking fix and you and I know it.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    If he's in then Vini Reilly definitely gets added.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    krs wrote:
    Knew it.

hahaha, please be back more often, that was bloody lovely, and the internal logic was sound, if disturbing
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If any Manic Street Preacher is in a greatest guitarist list then there's some serious misunderstanding of the words greatest and guitarist. And maybe even list.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    If any Manic Street Preacher is in a greatest guitarist list then there's some serious misunderstanding of the words greatest and guitarist. And maybe even list.

hahaha, I'm with Kow, only this subject mind ;)
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Kow wrote:

And time.

But not Madness.

• Look, I love the manics, but James ain't within a mile of this list. He can wait for the vox edition.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Will call this tomorrow.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Look, I love the manics, but James ain't within a mile of this list. He can wait for the vox edition.

Patton, fred dead
  • Whether I do the thread, they'd be in the bracket, high seeds, fo sho.
  • Slash
    John Frushiante
    John Lee Hooker
    Vernon Reid

Jimi Hendrix
    Brian May 
    Jimmy Page
    Eric Clapton
  • Gibson Les Paul Recording II

I still want a go on one of these.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Gibson Les Paul Recording II
    I still want a go on one of these.

I am fond of a mess of pots and switches even if most of the time they don't do anything terribly exciting. I think it reignites a little of the initial fascination I had with electric guitars when I didn't know much at all about how they worked. I notice the LPRII's more intriguing twiddly bits were left off the recent reissue though, just a pair of volume and tone knobs replacing the original's separate bass, treble, and whatever 'decade' did (just looked it up; still not sure).

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Well actually if I were a guitar I'd love to be played on a Dire Straits album actually. Even the last one.

Moot_Geeza - Would love to be played on a Dire Straits album (-3)
  • Now we're back properly I'll finally finish this round.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!