Just completed
  • while since i played any but i think 2-4-3-1 is the right order.

2 - was just a magical gaming experience (dodgy final boss aside), i prob didn't really get on the hype train much before and hadn't really played the first, so the whole thing was just amazing.
    4 - perhaps objectively the best, but just suffered that sequel fate of not being as special
    3 - seem to recall it relied on far too much shooty-bang-bang padded out stages and felt very disappointing after 2
    1 - vague memories of this being a bit more basic cover shooter based, with less of the cinematic set pieces and changes of pace of later games.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    1 is great, you lot putting it last are pure wronguns
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The answer is just 2. Rest don't or shouldn't exist.
  • The full answer is actually 4,2,1,LL,3,GA.
  • ^This
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Almost
  • 1 and LL could be swapped on a different day.
  • Is 3 where they replaced his grip issues in 2 with falling floors? So instead of thinking 'I bet he loses his grip' everytime he climbs you think 'I bet that floor collapses'.
  • 3 is clearly better than one
    - any one including LL or GA is
    Clearly just wrong anyway
    The Forum Herald™
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Ice Climber (NES) - Completed all unique Mountains. This is an arcade platformer. It’s hard to believe this came from the same company that created Donkey Kong. It’s not the worst game I’ve ever played but the platforming actions pretty much all feel moderately bad and it just plain doesn’t play well. They messed up something as simple as jumping! Nintendo! The collision detection as you jump up to the next platform is bad. In later levels you seem to stop getting temporary invincibility when you respawn which makes the game feel arbitrary and unfair. It’s also often unclear where you’ll respawn or you’ll respawn straight onto conveyor ice which immediately chucks you into a death pit.

I think a huge part of what has gone wrong with this is that the physics have been universally designed to cover all situations, instead of having the basic sensitivity to context you’d expect from a platform game. The jump is weird… because it’s designed around the need to jump on the pterodactyl at top of the stage, even though that accounts for the tiny minority of jumps you’ll make in the game and you can only jump on to it from the top level, so they could have programmed in a context-specific jump. The collision detection on regular platforms is bad but feels right when you’re jumping on to the moving clouds - which makes me think they just applied the same collisions to everything instead of having a context-specific one for the clouds.

It’s just not very good and has no business being represented in Smash Bros., of all things! [4]
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I liked his jumper in 1. It was tucked in, just a little, but also hanging out. It was very clever and made him seem like a real person.
  • I liked his jumper in 1. It was tucked in, just a little, but also hanging out. It was very clever and made him seem like a real person.
    You and I remember Ice Climbers quite differently

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    It’s just not very good and has no business being represented in Smash Bros., of all things! [4]

I think this is one a lot of people have fond memories of, but hasn't stood the test of time very well. If Rob and Duck Hunt dog can get into Smash, Ice Climbers can be there too.

IMHO, YMMV, of course. I haven't touched Smash since... before Wii U?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Resi 4 remake finally. Awesome game. Got a bit sick of fighting giant flesh mountains with eyeballs everywhere by the end of it but that's resi for you. Contemplating a NG+ run which is something I haven't done in years is it worth it?
  • Bloodborne. 
    Finding a lot of modern games to simply be ok or reskins of games that I've played to death before. Slunk back into this one two weeks ago and have been slowly chipping away through the levels, and it's still a glorious example of gaming when it is done right. Micolash is still a pain in the arse but I've been wrecking blood starved beast and Vicar Amelia like they were nothing. I don't want a sequel to this game ever.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Resi 4 remake finally. Awesome game. Got a bit sick of fighting giant flesh mountains with eyeballs everywhere by the end of it but that's resi for you. Contemplating a NG+ run which is something I haven't done in years is it worth it?

Been really tempted to try this one out so I might just rent it to see how it goes.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Rev wrote:
    Bloodborne. 

Since I've had time to recover from the wet fart that is the end of Dark Souls, I've found myself pining for the same experience. I've been eyeing up the Spider-Man 2 PS5, so I could play Bloodborne and Demon's Souls Remastered.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Rad Racer (NES) - Full disclosure: I used a continues cheat to finish this. It’s kinda ridiculous it doesn’t use continues by default because it’s basically unfinishable without them. I feel like what they should have done is have various difficulty levels with a continues system and then had progressively better endings for each difficulty to add replay value.

ANYWAY, this is Square making an Outrun-‘em-up on NES with Nasir Gebelli, the coding maestro of Final Fantasy and Secret of Mana fame on programming duties and Nobuo Uematsu on music duties. Kazuko Shibuya, who produced the chibi character pixel art from the Final Fantasy games, did the graphics.

This compares really well to Outrun. The gameplay is blisteringly fast and exciting - success is always possible but just one mistake away from falling out of reach. The graphics are really attractive for a NES game, particularly the first two levels. There are three radio stations and while the music is OK, I would say it’s noticeably sub-Outrun and not Uematsu’s best work.

I ummed and ahhed about how to score this. I gave the original Zelda an [8] - could I give this the same score as that masterpiece? I think the thing is Zelda is a game that was basically a [10] in its day and aged down to [8]. This was solidly very good back in 1987 and is in a sub-genre that doesn’t suffer too badly from being crammed on limited hardware and hasn’t really dated. [8]
  • So turns out Resi 4 remake is well worth a NG+ run. It's just more fun second time round laying waste to everything with beefed up gear. Skipping all cut scenes and charging through doing all the merchant challenges and shooting range this game is just pure action magic. Mercenaries is brilliant also. Helluva game.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Keep doing the good work, ERE.

RE4make is on my list to Daddy Crimbo.
  • Do you have a PS5, Swirl? Could pass the disc on once myself and Muzzy are done.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Nope. Been pondering it, but between my Switch and PC, I've got tons to get through as it is. Appreciate the offer, though. :)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Mickey’s Safari in Letterland (NES) - A disturbingly colonial Mickey Mouse is on a quest to steal 26 ancient tablets carrying the letters of the alphabet from various nations so that they can be displayed in an American museum. In each stage, you collect three optional letter gems to create a three-letter word, plus one of the aforementioned tablets. Mickey then spells out the word with sampled voice clips and utters a couple of catchphrases while an illustration of the word is displayed on screen. There are some Easter eggs such as DOG being one of the Dalmatians from 101 Dalmatians. Then Goofy cleans off the tablet using frankly dubious restoration methods, then you add the letter to your letterdex. Once you’ve collected all 26 letters, Mickey Mouse bizarrely dumps them in a big pile outside the museum in a probable breach of conservation best practice, while the alphabet song plays. The game is available in various modes including semi-automated ones for very young children.

This game is a bit frustrating. It has all the charm you’d expect from a classic Disney platformer - lovely animations, well presented backgrounds, charming music. But it has the boring gameplay of an edutainment game. Compared to other NES edutainment games I’ve played, this is closest to being a normal game. I just wish they’d gone all the way and made it a normal, if relatively easy for the kids, platformer as it wouldn’t have been of detriment to the educational content at all. Also in an apparent oversight, on one level it’s easy to permanently miss one of the letter gems, requiring you restart the level to complete it properly, which seems completely contrary to the child-friendly design of the game.

So far, this is at the top of my league board of NES edutainment titles but it’s not exactly facing stiff competition. [3]
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Imagine getting this for Christmas rather than Mario 3.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    4231 4 lief
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    4231 4 lief

No reg, that’s Mickey’s Adventure in Numberland. That’s the sequel that came out the next year.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Imagine getting this for Christmas rather than Mario 3.

They put that on the box.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    4231 4 lief

Correct!
    The Forum Herald™
  • 5678 MY BOOT SCOOTIN' BABY IS DRIVING ME KERAAAAZY!!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Hahaha

Right that's now the default whenever this boring ass conversation comes up.
    Just a gif of Lee

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!