Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • g.man wrote:
    Looks like Poundland Guardians of the Galaxy.

This is what I was thinking too. Do you think they crammed in even more licenced tracks to make it more even more Guardians like they did with Suicide Squad?
    Considering the actors in it though it might not be complete trash. Could outweigh the Roth of it all
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Mutant Mayhem last night. It was a very sweet, good natured little movie. Nice animation, similar style to Spider-Verse. A nice 90 minutes of your time with a ton of voice talent.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Mutant Mayhem last night. It was a very sweet, good natured little movie. Nice animation, similar style to Spider-Verse. A nice 90 minutes of your time with a ton of voice talent.

Yea I watched this with the boys last week for our film night choice.
    We really enjoyed it, the animation was gorgeous in a grungy kinda way
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Soundtrack and score incredible as well. Reznor and Ross knocking it out the park.
  • I just saw Zone as well. Very good. Is it nominated for sound design? Because it should win the award for sound design.
    regmcfly wrote:
    There's a sequence right at the end where
    Spoiler:

Then it hard cuts to
    Spoiler:

And it really got me.

The cut back at the end where
    Spoiler:

Just grims it all up.
    Spoiler:
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It’s nominated and won the BAFTA for sound.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Did anyone else stay to the end of the credits in The Zone of Interest? Since the whole thing was basically Sound Design: The Movie, I felt like it was important to listen to the soundscape/music that plays through the credits to the end.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Soundtrack and score incredible as well. Reznor and Ross knocking it out the park.

Aye, it's a banger.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    FYI, Cineworld at doing discounted screenings of the Best Picture nominees (except Maestro) in early March which might be handy if you’re struggling to find/missed any. https://www.cineworld.co.uk/static/en/uk/blog/oscar-season-cineworld-best-picture-nominee-screenings
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Did anyone else stay to the end of the credits in The Zone of Interest? Since the whole thing was basically Sound Design: The Movie, I felt like it was important to listen to the soundscape/music that plays through the credits to the end.

I'm one of those people who sit to the end of the credits.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah I do for most too. Or at least until the first track that starts the credits ends as I find it usually feels to be a part of the film/tv show.
    I stayed for the whole thing for Zone because of the same reason as ERE.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Mandabi (1968) - This is the first African language film and is in the Wolof language of Senegal. A middle aged man from Dakar struggles to cash in a money order from his nephew in Paris, a seemingly simple task that is foiled by the clash of his traditionalist values against a society that is riven with bureaucracy, corruption and scams. This is an entertaining and often amusing film that nonetheless has things to say and can even be perceived as being quite dark. A good pick from the local community cinema club. ★★★★☆
  • Is Topanga gonna be in it?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I'm 100% in on that.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    That could be pretty amazing. The concept seems like an action movie version of Peep Show.
  • Cast is fantastic, director debut so that’s a bit of an unknown, but the 2nd unit/stunt coord/fight choreo has some chops (specifically in Pencak Silat and Indonesian styles it seems, which explains why Ruhian is in there). Writer the guy from Remedy who wrote Quantum Break and Alan Wake 2 among a bunch of other stuff like the 2019 Childs Play.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Watched that last night and I'm all in for it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Took me aaaaaaages to place the voice of Archer there. Look like good fun
  • Really enjoyed this ep. I haven't seen The Creator, no idea if it's good or not but I found this approach to VFX interesting, more interesting than Avatar 2 tbh. Feels like a much more harmonious approach.

• Fairly rubbish film but outstanding worldbuilding and effects work. It’s up for the effects Oscar, isn’t it?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Worth a watch, just switch off your brain. 

I'll watch that vid later, like me some corridor crew.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Aftersun (2022) - Sad dad Paul Mescal has a foreign holiday with his 11-year-old daughter Sophie. Frankie Corio puts in an amazing performance as Sophie, especially for such a young actress. She actually overshadowed Paul Mescal’s Oscar nominated performance for me. Personally, the arty-farty attempts to add ambiguity to it lessened rather than enhanced its impact, but it’s a good film with a great pair of central performances. It makes an interesting unofficial Paul Mescal parenthood duology with All of Us Strangers so is worth checking out if you watched that. ★★★★☆
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Wonka (2023) - L’il Timmy Chalchal stars as Willy Wonka in some made-up story about how he got going in the chocolate industry. It’s charming, polished stuff, although distinctly sub-Paddington. I was expecting Chalamet to smash it as Wonka but found him a bit inconsistent in places. And in a packed multi-generational screening, there was only one decent laugh from the audience. Also, the whole idea of the chocolate vault seemed like a bit of a bizarre contrivance. Oh, and the songs are bit forgettable and meh.

I was dreading that this was going to be Wonka somehow defeating the rich with the power of kindness. I was hoping that it was going to end with Wonka wreaking chocolate-based revenge against the rich in a heavily-veiled family-friendly legally-compliant metaphor for guillotining the rich. Instead the actual ending was a bit of a fudge between the two. I would have still have liked Wonka to have been more aggressive at the end in a lead in to his antics in the original film.

While it’s nothing amazing, it’s just about good enough that it’ll endure a lot longer than most family-friendly entertainment and I’m sure it’ll entertain people for many years when it ends up joining the Christmas film rotation on TV. ★★★★☆
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    In the Mood for Love (2000) - It’s 1962 in Hong Kong and a man and a woman who live next door to each other realise their spouses are having an affair. In trying to support each other through the situation, they themselves start catching feels. But what will the outcome be?

This was scheduled by my local cinema as part of their Iconic Sundays strand because it’s meant to be well good. I thought it was very well made but it didn’t strike a direct hit to the feels. ★★★★☆
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's no Chungking Express

* prepares to fight Elf *
  • I’ve got elf’s back.
  • He might need that
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I Need My Back Back (starring Ashton Kutcher) sounds like the sort of film Elf secretly loves.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!