Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I’ve got elf’s back.

Thanks man.
    acemuzzy wrote:
    It's no Chungking Express

* prepares to fight Elf *

Let me just check the list of movies you have been watching recently to see if I should give a shit about your opinion of film…

Checks out. You’re an idiot.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    o/
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Tokyo Decadence (1992) - This erotic drama is written and directed by Ryu Murakami, the writer of the original novel version of Audition, which was adapted into the famous Takashi Miike film of the same name. Mild-mannered soft-spoken Ai works as a high-class prostitute catering for the capricious sexual whims of S&M clients. She doesn’t seem that into being an S&M prostitute (which, to be fair, does seem to be a pain in the arse - at one point in the film, literally).

After taking drugs with a fellow sex-worker, she has a bit of a breakdown and becomes obsessed with tracking down a celebrity she had a fling with in her pre-prostitute days. Can Ai find her place in the world?

This is the first in 88 Films’ new Japanarchy line of Blu-ray releases. The initial print run comes with a numbered Japanese-style obi-strip and it comes with an informative booklet and a reversible cover that lets you display a cover based on the original poster with the protagonist’s arse hanging out.

The LA Times described it as “A film of power and astonishment, as serious as it is kinky.” It’s a pretty succinct summation of the film, to be honest. Provocative and interesting but, for obvious reasons, not for the easily offended. ★★★★☆
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Shoshana (2023) - Stuff is happening in British Mandatory Palestine. Stuff stuff stuff. I can’t give a better synopsis because it’s unclear what the central thrust of the film is supposed to be. At one point towards the end, one of the central characters from the poster is awkwardly shuffled out of the story with a single line of dialogue. I was left unsure why Michael Winterbottom decided to go to the effort of making this film, which apparently he had been developing for well over a decade. While this is well-made in many respects, it doesn’t give the viewer much reason to invest in it, has a weak central storyline and doesn’t have any particularly interesting performances. If I could have my time again, I wouldn’t bother watching this. ★★★☆☆
  • Christ if that’s a three star review, I can’t wait to see a one star mauling
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Evil Does Not Exist (2023) - I think some people were expecting a Japanese horror film from the title and not a slow-paced ecological drama as there were quite a few walk-outs. It’s a good, at times beautiful, film with a slightly shoddy beginning and end. The opening is languid to the point of taking the piss with some attractive but excessively long and under-edited nature sequences. The film then gets into gear, introducing an interesting story where a rural community faces the threat of an inadequately thought through glamping development project which poses multiple serious hazards to the community. The nature scenes are just as beautiful but now edited more appropriately and while the film is always unhurried in pace, the characters are well-developed. Unfortunately, the attempt at a profound ending didn’t work for me and, looking at IMDB reviews, apparently quite a few other people, but I didn’t think it ruined the film. I’ve given it four stars but I think it has raspberry ripple-like swirls of higher and lower scores in there. ★★★★☆
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Christ if that’s a three star review, I can’t wait to see a one star mauling

Well I’m probably going to see Madame Web next week!
  • For a country so focused on food, I find a lot of American food - both what you get in a regular shop and some of the stuff you get in restaurants - just doesn't hit the mark at all. I would have thought that M&Ms would still stand up.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The Dune 2 reviews are coming in thick and fast. I usually go to Ali at The Scotsman for a good quick take, because I’ve known him 20-odd years and I know what he likes.

He doesn’t like Dune 2 much. Three stars.

I’ll post the whole review in spoiler tags, because it’s paywalled on the website.
    Spoiler:
  • I'm not expecting anything great.  Going for the spectavle mostly.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Flash sale at Criterion Collection for those interested. For next 24 hours, everything is half price. This means blu rays are around £15 each.

Sorely tempted to grab the Wong Kar Wai box set at £77
  • Where is this?  Usually it's US only, no?  I'll check Fopp/HMV...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Aye it's US store only sorry
  • No worries.  Seen it on their tweets.  It did just make me check Zavvi too and they somehow seem to have Once Upon A Time in China US boxset for half price or so.  But I think it's region locked?  Would mean getting my region-free Bluray player out of storage and yet another electronic device thoiugh. :(

EDIT: well not really half price - one of those situations whrre they inflate the price and say it's not that, it's half price now!  (Just checked price on WOWHD)
  • Thanks for the Aftersun mentions all. I think that might be the best film I've seen for quite a few years.
  • Lovely. Glad you liked it. Leaves you thinking a lot, doesn’t it?
  • It does, but the main thing for me is how near perfect everything was.
    Spoiler:
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I can’t stop thinking about All of Us Strangers since watching it yesterday. I think I’ll struggle to watch anything better this year. I may even buy the book it’s adapted from.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It does, but the main thing for me is how near perfect everything was.
    Spoiler:

Yep. I watched it not knowing anything at all. Best way to watch something.

Top 3 films of ‘recent’ years for me, or should I say last 10 years, off the top of my head would be Moonlight, Parasite and Aftersun.
  • I haven't seen a vast number of new films in the past few years as it's a bit of a lapsed hobby for me, but after a quick look at releases in the 2020s I'd say The Banshees of Inisherin and the relentlessly awesome Spiderverse 2 would join Aftersun in a top 3.  Possessor (2020) and Men (2022) waved hello at me too - both slightly flawed but also pretty special imo.  Probably some other horrors that I really enjoyed from my Shudder sub - just remembered Where Evil Lurks and The Dark & The Wicked - but I lose track.

Edit: Just seen that Come True was 2020 and DS is WRONG about that not being superb.
  • Yeah Rise of the Footsoldier Marbella was 2019
  • Rise of the Footsoldier: BARNET

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTv2d9aGhyKyekMIfY6iKC_iEe7TsUBVCWTGw&usqp=CAU
  • Criminally overlooked for makeup and FX at the awards
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Rise of the Footsoldier: BARNET

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTv2d9aGhyKyekMIfY6iKC_iEe7TsUBVCWTGw&usqp=CAU

I only recently learnt that is Terry Turbo, of One Nation fame.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    And Come True is gash
  • https://twitter.com/joshsmithhosts/status/1762570521445626037?s=19

Desperately wanting to know who this was so I can skin them alive

I'm in love with her, sorry all
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Wonder who it was?

She's lovely, and an excellent actress, but I can't love her because I've seen her in Doctor Sleep and she scared the piss out of me
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Double posts are good but it at least gives me the chance to tell you to watch Silo, it's great

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!