Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There's a pickle stuck at the bottom?
  • I'll find out tomorrow. CDs and are going in too.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Tomorrow's task:

20240312-172101.jpg

Holy shit

I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    How many layers deep does it go?

Three.

Pls let us know what treasures are in n the back rows when you get there.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm gonna have a legit browse of that when I'm round for darts...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    50 wide x 10 high x 3 deep is 1500 dvds. Tenner a pop? Yeah probably best that moot doesn't do the maths.
  • And now they’re worth a penny or less each. Time is a cruel mistress.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    How many copies of The Gladiator do you have though?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    50 wide x 10 high x 3 deep is 1500 dvds. Tenner a pop? Yeah probably best that moot doesn't do the maths.

Average film spend was £6ish I reckon, I loved a sale. Fun fact: Natwest once rang me up to say that they'd blocked my card due to suspicious activity. Someone had tried to make over twenty £2.99 purchases on the HMV website in one go.

It was me, it was payday and there was a sale on...
  • Early TV box set spends would be the killer though. I used to spend £60 on a new season of The Wire/Sopranos/Carnivale etc.
  • Yeah I did those Sopranos box sets too. Madness.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I also bought and have all the Sopranos, Wire, Deadwood and Carnivale.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    DVDs were excellent at the time though. Pre YouTube so you'd get all the behind the scenes stuff and cut bits etc.

Easter eggs too, Predator had some belting stuff hidden away in the menus
  • Used to listen to the commentaries at work. Portable dvd player plugged in. Couldn't get away with watching the screen (used to get stuck in every Saturday when no-one was about though, 10hrs double time OT - would always watch three films) but loved the special features. Some films had multiple commentaries too (Seven had three iirc).
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye commentaries we're excellent if it's something you're into. LotR ones are great
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Oh man Moot, I have that Reservoir Dogs big grey box thing in the top left corner too
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Cimarron (1931) - This loss-making film was the lowest grossing Best Picture winner of all time and today is considered to be one of the weakest films to win the award. An early sound film, I had to watch this with subtitles as the sound has either received minimal restoration or was never particularly clear.

This film is set in Osage during a 40-year period from 1889 to 1930 and thus inevitably invites parallels with Killers of the Flower Moon, although this earlier film conveniently skirts around the Osage murders.

Richard Dix plays Yancey Cravat, an Oklahoma pioneer who is defeated in his attempts to claim land in the Oklahoma Land Rush of 1889 by the machinations of an unscrupulous prostitute and instead has to settle for establishing the local newspaper in Osage. The film follows the development of the town over 40 years through to what at the time would have been the modern day.

For both this original film and the 1960 remake, the initial land rush scene is widely considered to overshadow the rest of the film. It’s a spectacular scene and is followed by some impressive sets of the booming town of Osage.

Unfortunately, the film is marred by cringeworthy racism and every scene involving Cravat’s black servant, Isaiah, ends up being embarrassing to watch. One of the worst scenes is when the Cravat family has an initial ride through Osage. Yancey points out a stall to Isaiah. “Look Isaiah, they have watermelons!” And we see what the film considers to be every black person’s wildest dream, a giant pile of watermelons. “I sure am glad I came to Oklahomey!” Isaiah responds, as I die inside.

The film ends up with deeper structural issues. While the film starts off entertainingly enough, there is no real narrative through-line and many over-indulgent scenes. A scene where Cravat moonlights as a vicar ends up covering most of the actual beats of a church service. A court scene that serves as the resolution of the prostitute’s sub-plot ends up diverting the film into a substantial chunk of legal drama. It arguably falls into the same trap as Killers of the Flower Moon by shoving a bunch of Osage town history on a screen without a sufficiently interesting narrative to justify making an expensive and lengthy movie out of it.

Overall, it’s not terrible but it badly squanders the potential of its early scenes. ★★☆☆☆
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I had a pretty decent DVD collection but nothing to rival Moot!  I did a clearup many years ago and remember giving some away on the forum.  I've still got a fair few Blurays and a few DVDs, could still thin them out if I wanted to - not like I rewatch many of them.  Just like physical media in general and also some do indeed have great additional features.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Incredible stuff Moot. Is that Reservoir Dogs box the one with the plastic handcuffs, gun and cufflinks? I had the VHS version of that.

Unforgivable mix of books and DVDs though. Fucking war crime that.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Easter eggs too, Predator had some belting stuff hidden away in the menus
    I think I still have the Memento DVD with the Easter egg where you can play the whole film in forward chronological order.
    Spoiler:
  • I don't remember cufflinks etc. I think it just came with postcards and a book maybe.
  • I only watch them in the caravan these days. Can't remember the last time I plucked a film from the wall to watch at home. Alien about 4 years ago maybe.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Easter eggs too, Predator had some belting stuff hidden away in the menus
    I think I still have the Memento DVD with the Easter egg where you can play the whole film in forward chronological order.
    Spoiler:

I don't think I've seen the whole thing (for shame) but I thought it was still ambiguous as to what was happening and whether or not he was setting himself up all along?

Having a set, definitive timeline flies against that? Sort of like an extended scene where the spinner falls in Inception.

I should probably watch it before picking fault like
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I only watch them in the caravan these days. Can't remember the last time I plucked a film from the wall to watch at home. Alien about 4 years ago maybe.

Caravans are an excellent time warp. Terrestrial TV! Waiting for a show to come on, with advert breaks in the middle! Fucking imagine
  • No WiFi either. You have to pay for a full year on our site so fuck that, I just come prepared or embrace the mother in law's massive Denzel collection (or her multiple copies of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe).
  • I don't think I've seen the whole thing (for shame) but I thought it was still ambiguous as to what was happening and whether or not he was setting himself up all along?

Having a set, definitive timeline flies against that? Sort of like an extended scene where the spinner falls in Inception.

I should probably watch it before picking fault like

Nah, you’re bang on. It’s a truly great movie, but rejigging it to run forwards is a cinematic crime.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My favourite DVD I still have, which I got when I lived in the states. It's the T2 Ultimate edition.

It has a proper metal slip jacket

UdycQRf.jpeg

There's a beefy booklet inside with extensive production history

LhPHT7z.jpeg

And the special features for the time were outrageously extensive.

ZRVSiIY.jpeg

Plus there's a mad easter egg. If you enter 82997 on the main menu (American dare for judgment day - August 29 1997) you get access to the extended special edition of the movie. And both terminator eyes glow on the menu and that's sweet.

Took the Matrix idea and blew it out. Love that dvd.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    No WiFi either. You have to pay for a full year on our site so fuck that, I just come prepared or embrace the mother in law's massive Denzel collection (or her multiple copies of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe).

You can tether to your phone and all that but don't, embrace the disconnect

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Great post reg. They really used to go the extra mile for stuff like that. Now it's mostly just sharted onto a streaming platform, don't stop producing content to think about anything or give anything extra

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!