The TV you like thread
  • wow, didn't even know there was going to be more Thick of it. Can't wait. I haven't gelled with his HBO show Veep yet. Hopefully that'll pick up soon.

The Americans seem to be pumping out some good comedy at the mo. Not sure what happened in Britain but it seems the rise of stand up on TV has led to every mildly funny and not so funny (Sarah Millikan oooooh look I'm fat and northern) comic getting their own show regardless of quality.

Comissioning decent sit coms seems to have gone out of the window, the writing talent is still here but largely ignored.

Series four of The Thick Of It will be better than everything. Even if there's no Jamie.

XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • Yeah, they're filming it right now I believe. Think it's going to be shown by the end of the year.
  • Jamie is the reason it fucking works though.
  • Also, Sofia Vergara is reason enough to watch anything.

GT: RasDam Twitter: @RasDam
  • Wasn't Jamie just in the specials though, or am I mixing him up with someone, he's the other Scottish guy who's working with Malcolm for a while before the reshuffle right? The guy who smashes the printer in In the Loop?
  • He was in the 3-episodes that made up series two, and the two specials.
  • rickjoyce said:

Wasn't Jamie just in the specials though, or am I mixing him up with someone, he's the other Scottish guy who's working with Malcolm for a while before the reshuffle right? The guy who smashes the printer in In the Loop?

Jamie is the reason Malcolm works. It creates this perfect relationship of two people who talk complete shit about everyone yet embrace the discussion between themselves. It's an amazing way of writing two 'comedic' characters.

Jamie's insurrection in the specials is a particular highlight. 
  • Yeah but he's barely in it anyway. He wasn't in the last series at all. 
  • Oh yeah, he's excellent, was just making sure I wasn't mixing up names. They roll with the punches well though, I didn't like series 3 as much, but Rebecca Front does a pretty great job. I wasn't really sure how I felt by the end of it, but I'm excited to see what they do this time, with a very different political landscape to satirise and mock.
  • Mad Men is just...jaw droppingly good TV. GoT is going great guns too, in really looking forward to that weaselly wee cunt who molested his sister getting murdered. You know, the iron coast guy who looks like a 1980s photofit of keifer sutherland.
    Watched a great Fringe today too, set in the future, with Dennis out of Lost.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill said:

Mad Men is just...jaw droppingly good TV. GoT is going great guns too, in really looking forward to that weaselly wee cunt who molested his sister getting murdered. You know, the iron coast guy who looks like a 1980s photofit of keifer sutherland.
    Watched a great Fringe today too, set in the future, with Dennis out of Lost.

The guy who plays Theon is Lily Allen's brother. The one she wrote the song 'Alfie' about.

ALAN TRUFAX
  • You mean Desmond from Lost, brother.
  • @RasDum:  I am obsessed with Modern Family.  It has me in stitches constantly!  Some of the oneliners and awkward scenarios are just comedy genius.  My favourite has to be when Phil puts an Ad on his car that makes his wife and daughter look like whores!  I was actually pissing myself.

And Sofia Vergare is just incredible!

Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • @aaroncupboard:

'Some sick bastard autotuned me.'
  • The immortal line was:

'Do the carpets match the drapes?  Er...I think so'

• RasDam said:

I quite like Person of Interest despite the fact that the first episode was rather pants.

OOh me too, I got the first ep, thought, meh. Then recently got all the the other eps and have been working through them, they are quite good, sometimes they look really formulaic and then you often get a decent twist, they can be quite gritty at times too.

Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • "Isn't it enough this family spends a lot of time together? Now we have to inbreed?!"
  • pantyfire said:

RasDam said:

I quite like Person of Interest despite the fact that the first episode was rather pants.

OOh me too, I got the first ep, thought, meh. Then recently got all the the other eps and have been working through them, they are quite good, sometimes they look really formulaic and then you often get a decent twist, they can be quite gritty at times too.

I agree with all of that. Goes to show Christopher isn't the only talented Nolan brother about.
  • RasDam said:

Modern Family on the otherhand is absolutely brilliant and I'm ashamed that it's not been mentioned yet. I'm delighted that Ed O'Neill is involved in a hit comedy again. JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Really, I tried to watch that. Watched season 1 occasionally and a couple of season 2.

I really couldn't get on with it. Felt like a poor version of Malcolm in the Middle. Perhaps it got better.
  • If you didn't like season 1 of Modern Family I wouldn't bother with the rest. More of the same really, although I have to say I do really like it. 

Just started season 3 of Community. Brilliant.

Edit: Except the episodes that focus on Abed (jesus, chicken..), just awful. 
  • Veep.

Swearing is funny.
  • @handsofblue I'd say it's well worth giving another go, but seeing as you said you occasionally watched season 1 I'm not sure if it would change your mind. Quite frankly I was hooked after hearing 'In The Moonlight' in S01E04.

• If
    you didn't like season 1 of Modern Family I wouldn't bother with the
    rest. More of the same really, although I have to say I do really like
    it. 

Just started season 3 of Community. Brilliant.

Edit: Except the episodes that focus on Abed (jesus, chicken..), just awful.

Oops, was confusing it with The Middle actually. Modern Family is most certainly better, though haven't watched a lot of it.
  • @handsofblue:  An easy mistake given that Sky always puts them together.  The Middle is bloody awful.  It's got that awkward, trying to be quirky American humour.
  • I've never seen The Middle. I feel priviledged.
  • The middle is truly terrible.

Been watching venture bros again recently. The intricacy of the beaurocratic bollocks involved in 'arching' is brilliant.
  • Yeah, The Middle is horrendous, looks like a very cynical attempt at re-creating something like Malcolm in The Middle, although why anyone would want to is beyond me.

Let's get the mother from Everyone Loves Raymond, that janitor dude off Scrubs, let's get a kid who looks even weirder than the freak off MitM and another couple of brats, what could possibly go wrong?

Also, I quite enjoyed the first episode of 2 Broke Girls, there were a few better jokes than I expected. The 2nd episode was dogshit though, pure dogshit.
  • I'm saving up GoT until I've got them all, then I'll watch them over a weekend.

This is my intention.

Currently working my way through Breaking Bad S2. Excellent stuff, though the son could do with someone kicking out his crutches and giving him a stern talking to.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I like The Middle :(

Perhaps living with a 15/16 year old brings some awkward recognition lost on most of you.
  • I'm saving up GoT until I've got them all, then I'll watch them over a weekend.

This is my intention.

Currently working my way through Breaking Bad S2. Excellent stuff, though the son could do with someone kicking out his crutches and giving him a stern talking to.

I absolutely loved Breaking Bad. Kind of want to splurt out everything that happens but wouldnt want to spoil it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!