Crowdfunding Joys
‹ Previous12
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    As we've a thread for ripping Kickstarters and the like I figured we needed one for good. I've seen a few people post stuff in various threads about crowdfunded projects and I think they get lost or get missed.

No doubt this will mostly be about games, but I figured there's plenty of cool stuff to crowdfund so this is in OffTopic.

Anyway, here's why I've started this:

Beyond Eyes

Story driven game where the player helps a blind girl find her friend by using her other senses.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/beyond-eyes

I can imagine this not getting the funding as one guy asks on twitter, is it because woman?

I dunno if I can go in on this yet but it may well be my next punt.

While I'm here I might as well mention my last punt.

Pressy

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/556341540/pressy-the-almighty-android-button

Which obviously won't have crowd funding issues!

Bish bosh.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • If nothing else the Pressy is a very nicely presented project. I can definitely see the use for it, especially on iPhone where it isn't as customisable.
  • So this is a Kickstarter by a friend, who is one of the writers. It's a film starring a bloke who used to be on Eggheads. It sounds like this might actually be quite good despite that, but it's currently £1900 short of the target, so I ask all of you for help. He's just lost his job so it would cheer him up immensely if he was able to get this made and actually get a proper writing credit for something.
  • There was a guy on the One Life Left podcast, pimping his book about Sensible Software, which was a kickstarter thing.  Then he started talking about his next book, which will also be on kickstarter, and my gut reaction was, "No, fuck you.  People invested in you, gave you your first step up.  Now invest in yourself, and use what you make on this book to fund your next book."  I'm a little tired of all the kick-starting.  It seems like those with the least to invest and most to lose are now the ones taking the risk.
  • I guess it depends on if he made enough to fund another book.
  • No one's saying you have to donate. I think it's a brilliant way for smaller enterprises to get the funding that would otherwise be out of reach for them. If it wasn't for Kickstarter (well, IndieGoGo but same thing) one of my favourite bands would never have released another album, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

I think this Renata Road one sounds very Hotel Dusk-esque, sounds interesting anyway.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I guess it depends on if he made enough to fund another book.

If he didn't then maybe he should take the hint.
  • I'm not against the idea of kickstarter, whether for a startup or established but perhaps past-it creators looking to prove they've still got an audience, but back to back projects just seems off.  "I've established I've got an audience, but fuck doing the hard work getting money with any attached responsibility to pay back or produce something."
  • A lot of people use kickstarter as a defacto pre order system and demand checker. I don't reply see a problem with back to backs if all a money funds is the costs to get a project going. Don't forget unlike actual funding there is an element of having to give away product to most of your likely customers on day 1, so what you lose in risk of a funded project bombing (because no one has bought your book) you also lose the potential to sell millions of books afterwards as well.
  • No you don't.  You don't lose any potential, there's every chance you go on to pick up a proper deal if you can be arsed doing the leg work.
  • So my friends Kickstarter made it with time to spare.  And I got a thank you video from the Eggheads chap, which was nice.
  • I'm going to assume it's the one who's a right tool.
  • My only problem with kickstarter is that it's an idea i had about 8 years ago. I seem to be cursed with this sort of thing. 

If something enables people to have some sort of a living doing something they enjoy then that's all good for me.
  • My only problem with kickstarter is that it's an idea i had about 8 years ago. I seem to be cursed with this sort of thing.

You're cursed with not going into business with obvious ideas? :p
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Good luck to them, etc.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
  • MC Lars is back on Kickstarter, and has already been funded, which is great.

My fav pledge levels:

"THE ZOMBIE DINO SUPER PACK" - Everything in the $30 pledge, plus a Kickstarter only MC Lars t-shirt and a limited edition cassette release of "the Zombie Dinosaur LP".

"THE BLINGED OUT ZELDA BALLER LIMITED AVAILABILITY PACKAGE" - Everything in the $100 pledge, plus one of those fresh "Legend of Zelda" necklaces I was rocking on Warped. The game still plays! (Disclaimer: neither the chain nor the cartridge are real gold, but we can pretend they are for joyful smiles.)"

7666727ecba4ccc207a357c0ecfb39be_large.jpg?1394160094
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
  • Edge alerted me to the fact that Harmonix are going for a new Amplitude on Kickstarter. And it's currently failing. This makes me sad, as if it doesn't make it, that pretty much kills off the chances of them ever making another.
  • Fuck dev studios and corps of any size using kickstarter for their projects. It's your fucking product, put your money where your mouth is if you have faith in it, don't use your own fans as a fucking source of funding your risky ventures you fucking scumbags.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    Fuck dev studios and corps of any size using kickstarter for their projects. It's your fucking product, put your money where your mouth is if you have faith in it, don't use your own fans as a fucking source of funding your risky ventures you fucking scumbags.

Sorry but totally this as far as I'm concerned.
    They could get money from Sony if they had pitched it properly in the first place.
    Relying on the fans. Fuck that.
    I'll support small companies with great ideas. This like the veronica mars cockstarter is a joke.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Roujin, sort out your fucking sig, it's a goddamn disgrace.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Fuck dev studios and corps of any size using kickstarter for their projects. It's your fucking product, put your money where your mouth is if you have faith in it, don't use your own fans as a fucking source of funding your risky ventures you fucking scumbags.

They are. They are putting more than half the money in, and they still thnk it's more than they can afford.

Amplitude, despite being well recieved critically bombed. Why would Sony fund it?
    This Kickstarter isn’t a ploy to get crowd-funding in order to see a bigger profit – it’s a desire to see a horizon where the game we have in our heads has a chance to break even
    Who exactly is allowed to use Kickstarter then guys?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    "60frames a second, and all the good things gamers' have come to expect"

lol
  • Am I the only one who thinks 60fps isn't always a good idea? In certain games it lends the dreaded soap-opera effect. Fine in a sportsim but 30 is better for games that are going for that softer, theatrical thing e.g. Dark Souls.
  • Absolutely.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yup. I like it to be as low as it can without me noticing any jitters 'cause that means the graphics can look nicer.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Saw a phone with a refresh rate that reminded me of the arse end of last gen, the other day.
  • A young me played a lot of Geoff Crammond's Formula One Grand Prix on the Amiga which ran at 8fps which didn't bother me at all, although looking at it now, it really should have ... yeeesh:

‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!