I need a new TV
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Outlaw wrote:
    I have an irrational love for Samsung.
    They make most of the best TVs. I think they're the only company left that can make a TV all by themselves.

Lol

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • What would you recommend then MK?
  • I'm guessing Toshiba.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Stopharage wrote:
    I've got the Sony KDL42W705B. £429 with a 5 year guarantee at Richer Sounds. Lovely looking TV as well.
    I got the 50" 3D version of that tv recently for the same price (Sony discount thing) and it's amazeballs.
    We still don't seem to have got me this 50" sorted...
  • mk64 wrote:
    IanHamlett wrote:
    Outlaw wrote:
    They make most of the best TVs. I think they're the only company left that can make a TV all by themselves.

Lol
    LG too I would say and probably sharp.
  • What would you recommend then MK?

Samsung, Sony, tosh.

Depends on your budget. Got money? Sony, want to splash out? Samsung. Affordable but good spec? Todhiba. That's how I view it. I own two Lg TVs a Tosh and a projector. Lgs were richer sound bargains as they are a client of mine so practically free.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • i'd agree with those saying a 'good' 42" would be better than a cheaper 50", but i don't want to argue about best brands as i have no idea.
    however how far you sit from the screen is an important consideration as to what is the optimum screen size for you...
    try something like this:
    http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/televisions/article/advice/what-size-tv-should-i-buy

to be fair, i saw others that had the optimum distances closer than that site shows, but they seemed off from my own experience and i'd probably trust something like 'which' over random sites trying to sell bigger screens...however i'm sure someone like MK might know the actual truth!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • adored wrote:
    pantyfire wrote:
    Stopharage wrote:
    I've got the Sony KDL42W705B. £429 with a 5 year guarantee at Richer Sounds. Lovely looking TV as well.
    I got the 50" 3D version of that tv recently for the same price (Sony discount thing) and it's amazeballs.
    We still don't seem to have got me this 50" sorted...
    I got it through a friend of a friend that was leaving Sony so she gave my friend her company discount store log in. We got one each. 
    Last time I checked they were £800 retail but they've might have come down a bit.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • When did LG become good? I remember them being laughably bad about a decade ago. Really poor washed out picture quality and break down easily.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • mk64 wrote:
    IanHamlett wrote:
    Outlaw wrote:
    Lol
    After they bought out Sony's half of the fabrication plant they shared, I think that left them as the only TV brand that could actually fabricate a TV without buying components off someone else. Everyone still buys panels off each other though. Apart from Samsung and LG, they hate each other right now for some reason.
    hylian_elf wrote:
    When did LG become good? I remember them being laughably bad about a decade ago. Really poor washed out picture quality and break down easily.
    They haven't been bad for a long time. I think the most colour accurate TV straight out of the box has been an LG for the past few years. Their OLED is outstanding.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Skerret wrote:
    I think so yer, series 6.  The H series is the budget line, F is the standard from 6 and unno what is for 7.
    IIRC the first couple of numbers is the size of the TV in inches, the letter is the year and then it's the model. 4000 is "HD Ready" budget stuff, 5000 is the best non-smart. 5500 is when they become smart. 6000 they are self-aware. Above that they get shit like micro-dimming and four-stage up-resing chicanery.
  • How the fucking fuck do you know something as random as that Ian?
  • I did some samsung TV training a few years back. The manufacturing thing is from an article I read a few years ago so there's a good chance I forgot some qualifying details.
  • I dug out my receipt yesterday to find out which model I had, I knew all the numbers had to mean something. Now I know!
  • Yay can we have the there's no point in HD below certain screen size viewing distance viewing angle thing now.
  • Seriously though I fully recommend the Sammy. I have a larger series 6 too with Bluetooth remote, voice controls and pointer. Lovely thing, also has an ir breakout which controls my TiVo which is handy when I lose the remote... Also I can fling YouTube vids at it easily and yes I think it's easier than my chromecast.

Seriously voice is a game changer. Who can remember what channel is what number?
    "4 HD" and over she turns.
  • On the 3 occasions à year I might use broadcast tv, I'm sure I could cope with a remote.

I'll look into Toshiba sets then. Sony and Samsung look out of what I'm willing to pay.
  • What's your budget D?
  • i'd agree with those saying a 'good' 42" would be better than a cheaper 50", but i don't want to argue about best brands as i have no idea.
    however how far you sit from the screen is an important consideration as to what is the optimum screen size for you...
    try something like this:
    http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/televisions/article/advice/what-size-tv-should-i-buy

to be fair, i saw others that had the optimum distances closer than that site shows, but they seemed off from my own experience and i'd probably trust something like 'which' over random sites trying to sell bigger screens...however i'm sure someone like MK might know the actual truth!

Fuck, I need a bigger telly now.
  • screen-size-viewing-distance.jpg

THX recommend dividing the size of the TV by 0.84 to find the right viewing distance. Or you could multiply your viewing distance by 0.84 to find the surprisingly massive TV George Lucas thinks you should watch Star Wars Ep1 on.
  • Is that screen size diagonal or plain horizontal though? That's one ill-labelled diagram.
  • Diagonal screen size divided by 0.84.
  • Outlaw wrote:
    What's your budget D?

Probably about £300, maybe up to £350.

Considering this at the moment. It seems to have pretty good ratings, and has 3 HDMI ports, which most don't seem to. Possibly also this, although that one does only have 2 ports.
  • Pretty sure you can get hdmi multi ports. Of course if they're expensive, the point is probably moot.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • You can get splitters yes, I have one already, although it still leaves me with a HDMI I have to swap around.
  • I've got a 3to1 HDMI auto switch for £7.99. I'd rather have ports on the TV but I've got kickass input lag and the set cost me £80 for 40in. I got lucky. I didn't fancy paying 4x more for an extra port.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    I've got a 3to1 HDMI auto switch for £7.99. I'd rather have ports on the TV but I've got kickass input lag and the set cost me £80 for 40in. I got lucky. I didn't fancy paying 4x more for an extra port.
    Can you tell me how people are getting brand new ipads for £30 with this weird online trick?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I posted this using this one weird old trick (I hit the Post Comment button).
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Pfft I'm waiting for 8k.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!