Twitter twa...I mean, chatter (And various social media guff)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Ah, oui.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • @willmcavoyACN. Definitely my current favourite follow at the moment. Amazing. 

Buffer is definitely awesome for posting across accounts too. 

And they actually post some awesome content.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oops (@ me - was trying to write a text message!)
  • Seems I've been blocked by someone for the heinous crime of wanting to add them to my PSN friends list.

First blocking that I know of.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Blocked on twitter?
  • Yeah.
    To be honest I'm not that bothered, as far as game writers go he was pretty poor and it was tough to read some of his updates as he was seemingly struggling for work.
    Just a bit weird to find yourself blocked for being civil.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Has Ras Dam disappeared?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Nah, he's still there, why?
  • He hasn't tweeted for 88 days and was wondering if he was alright.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Medium Why have I not heard of it before? Petey mentioned it on twitter. A heck of a lot to like about it.
  • Will link to an article that sums it up well in a bit, but medium may end up being too clever by half and become a victim of its demographic. 

The idea is brilliant, the execution amazing, but the content verges into group think, even while aiming for the opposite.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Aye got a lot of pedigree. It's provided some nice pieces already- lots of educators on there.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Now I Understand Medium
    One of the fundamental laws of capitalism is that not every great product is a good business, and not every successful business is built on a good product. But this is a really good product. If I didn't care about getting paid or having a job and just wanted to write something, Medium is the tool I would use. Since my job is to write articles, I'll probably keep doing that instead. But the fact is that if I had a product this good, I would definitely want to experiment vigorously with getting it out there. I would invest in this product. Sometimes it happens that starting with a great product doesn't lead to a viable business. But a great product is a great place to start, and once you see Medium from the creator's side you'll understand why there's enthusiasm about this.

I’m Already Tired of Medium

You see, I’m already sick of Medium. Though the site’s tagline is attractive and reassuring (“A better place to read and write”), it’s unfortunately misleading — or at least needs an addendum. Medium is a great place to read and write feel-good, self-help marching orders to technologically savvy but apparently clueless, unmotivated under-fortysomethings. The site’s content (led by recommended posts or those picked by editors), is dominated by a singular tone and message: Self Help How To. Life coaching, if you will. . .

. . .Granted, the user base of Medium is dominated by technologically savvy under-fortysomethings (among whom I self-identify), so everyone here can probably be forgiven for writing to and for themselves. After all, the easiest audience to understand and cater to is the audience who shares your immediate interests and experiences. Unfortunately, it appears that the only topic anyone in this group cares to read or write about is self improvement.

These two pieces pretty much sum it up for me. The potential is there, and there's gems, and it's amazing to use and read, but it's a little bit of an echo-chamber. It's note adding and related article stuff and collaborative tools really make me wish there was a sub section that really covered actual news, for instance. 

It's top heavy with "I reckon. . ."

Still gonna use it and enjoy what I can find with some meat.
  • Either I don't spend enough time on linkedin (possible) or twitter shits on it for networking.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Linkedin is only good for talking to desperate recruiters or sending out links specific to your aging and otherwise twitter ambivalent peer group.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    There's a linked in thread- or is that just the work thread- hmm- think Rev had advice for using Linked in but I think he tailored such to individuals via PMs, as I only remember Linkedin being extolled but without any general plan or tactics of how best exploiting it. Maybe someone who's had advice? Personally I don't think Linkedin is about being on it a lot.

You get some nice metrics about how many people followed your links etc.
  • nah, there's two different threads. Linkedin and work thread are separate. I keep my linkedin fairly up to date, but so far, twitter > linkedin.
  • Anyone know if hootsuite allows any clever auto retweeting or the like using #.

I can get IFTTT and/or Zapier to do some cool stuff with instagram, and I can get things to trigger from any user with that, but I'd like to be able to auto-retweet posts from other users with the right #. Actually, I'd like to send them to buffer (or hootsuite) so that I can have it go across all my social media.

Have checked out some stuff on alternativeto.net, but need to know functionality, rather than trialling everything.
  • Jesus, hootsuite has a bunch of stuff. 

Shit logo though.

Meanwhile, tumblr really is a nice piece of software/social media. I really should use it more.
  • I called time on my twitter account today - just too much shite on it, partly my fault for choosing to follow certain types of people (nobody on here - more back slapping design wankers than anything else)

I found myself checking it idly only to end up becoming annoyed by everything I read - I also fell foul of talking lots of pointless shit on it myself, and over the last month or so I've struggled to find any meaningful or interesting commentary to make. I'm going to focus my efforts on my own tumblr and be less interested in what everyone is doing every 6 minutes.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Am considering the same - tumblr seems to be winning.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've been lucky in not seeing the Twitter hype. I check it about once a day, and its good for little interactions but its not something I can fully enjoy.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    danclarke wrote:
    I also fell foul of talking lots of pointless shit on it myself

tumblr_ljq77svYwA1qavmeoo1_500.gif
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Am considering the same - tumblr seems to be winning.
    I got your linkedin req, (or are unanswered requests automatically regenerated periodically?) but I don't have it.  I used to have it.  Should this go here?  hallo
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Hallo! You binned it orf? Thought you'd be fishing in many ponds. Or are you made for your awarding institution now?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Not made (though I do enjoy the lax standards), it just shit me how many requests I was getting from people I didn't care for in a social or professional capacity.  I do not count you among these frauds.

If I determine a use for it I'll reconsider.   It may take more than you, I am sorry.  I use Twitter to interact with people anyhows.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • danclarke wrote:
    I called time on my twitter account today - just too much shite on it, partly my fault for choosing to follow certain types of people (nobody on here - more back slapping design wankers than anything else) I found myself checking it idly only to end up becoming annoyed by everything I read - I also fell foul of talking lots of pointless shit on it myself, and over the last month or so I've struggled to find any meaningful or interesting commentary to make. I'm going to focus my efforts on my own tumblr and be less interested in what everyone is doing every 6 minutes.

I'm tempted to go through and trawl my follows and re-organise. Have been messing with creating more lists, which has worked for me.

I currently have to trawl through a bunch of job site tweets, so I've lumped them in a list . just need to check through the list for 10 mins rather than look through my main feed. Once my new laptop arrives, there will be a day of stripping my main feed of a lot of follows and sending pure specific info tweets to lists. 

Aiming to turn my personal one into a smaller space for talking shit, my Jobsboard one for networking businesses and retweets and my Longhorns one for only bball.

Twitter needs to be used as a tool only, IMO.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    It has this skills thing now, I find it perturbing when others who've never worked along side me or even read my papers or reviewed my code start endorsing me.

I'm got a plan though about sorting that, you can turn specific people off by looks.

I need to overhaul mine. But not before I finish the overhaul of my facebook.

Living in negative social equity, here.

Edit- for: 21030.1998853 (that was in my swiftkey - I've no idea) skerret, NOT ~21K. Damn, it capitalised not too. Damn thing learns too well/too much synchronised data.
  • Hojoki is actually being an awesome project app. Really digging into it, and having an email back and forth with the CEO, because app start ups love doing personal customer service.
  • Gary Kasparov replied to my tweet last night. That was nice.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!