Twitter twa...I mean, chatter (And various social media guff)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Eurgh, unboxers :/
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    YEAH WHAT IS UP YOOTOOB so here we have the barcode at the back I'll just show you guys the barcode there it is wait let me just adjust the focus there we go we got some numbers on there and it's definitely there got a nice striped effect there okay here's the manual it's got a few languages I don't really speak Chinese guys haha ok now here's the front you've got a picture of it on there
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Outside of a foil and matte laminate one, I can't get excited.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • I can't wait until Amazon start making their own professional unboxing vids to put those fuckers out of work. I've used unboxing vids in the past to see what comes in a box or to get a better idea of the size/shape/usefulness of things and the people doing them are almost invariably idiots. The best one I've ever seen is actually Swirl's Pi unwrapping. Most of them sit for 4 minutes looking at the box and talking about nothing.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I sometimes give stuff outside my preferences a watch out of curiosity. The incredible counterpoint between the character and tone of Jacksepticeye and The Beginner's Eye was so incredible that if I knew nothing about the internet I might have confused it with absurdist art.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Sounds like something FACT would commission.
  • Heeeeeh. The odd thing I like is acceptable but the odd thing they like is unacceptable. On occasion I want to dip into the unacceptable thing so I rationalise why it's okay for me to doit through cynicism or self awareness.

• That really wasn't my point. My point was shouting at the top of your lungs at the start of a gameplay video of 'The Beginner's Guide' specifically is a big juxtaposition to the tone and feel of that game, and it's the kind of thing that feels like a piece of absurd comedy. 

One of my best friends is currently making £3-400 a month doing lets plays of a style that is outside of my preference, but I have nothing against him. I like to see how the other side live, because I am generally totally for the youtube video culture. A lot of these folk are popular because lots of people like it, and I have very little against a lot of populist material in general, beyond not personally liking it.
  • Like if you think finding the idea of a crazy Irish teenager howling "TOP OF THE MORNING TO YOU FOLKS I'M PLAYING THE BEGINNER'S GUIDE HERE AND I'VE HEARD IT'S A VERY MOVING GAME" at the start of a video isn't absurd, and is just me sneering at him, then I dunno what to say tbh. Guy made millions cos Pewdiepie boosted his channel, as he boosts a channel every year. People connect with him. World keeps spinning.
  • When I was a kid, TV always felt like it was made for my parents.
    When I grew up, TV always felt like it was made for my parents.

When YouTube started I was excited that one day it would evolve past You've Been Framed On Demand. For the past few years it's been my main TV provider. I can go from watching some games news, that TV has always failed on, to a two hour lecture about composition in photography that there would never be a TV audience for.

It baffles me that some apparently retarded YouTubers get hundreds of thousands of views for playing a game badly while saying nothing of note about it. But I can't really be against something that's chosen by its viewers and isn't hogging one of the five old terrestrial TV channels. Especially when the system the system that creates that is also the system that gives me stuff I want.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Dark Syde Phil.  He's probably googling this right now.  Hi Phil, you're everything that's wrong with everything.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Mm.
  • >The current year
    >Not making reaction vids of reaction vids of reaction vids

Get with it grandad.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Good chat on the The Today programme about youtube versus TV this morning.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Hi Phil, you're everything that's wrong with everything.

Uh, uh, uhhh!
  • I just don’t understand why Twitter find it so damn hard to make money.

They had a near-perfect product. Instead of fucking with it, they should have taken advertising money. And they could take ad money without messing up the core experience. Twitter (on a desktop screen) runs in a thin vertical column with sod all on the left and right hand sides of the monitor. So place targeted ads in that space. Money rolls in, users are mostly kept happy. Add a paid subscription level for users who really hate seeing the ads. Job done. Stock price rises, everyone’s pleased. Bump the stock price a bit more every time you refine the ad targeting algorithm, eventually basing it on the text content of tweets being viewed.
  • They would have to do something for mobile users but that would be a start. It seems like they've been determined to fuck it up for years. The token system for 3rd party apps fucked that over and the "improvements" they make are anything but. All I've ever wanted from them is to  take the @fucknut address out of the character limit. Conversations with feminists, more so than with any other group I've noticed, have a tendency to end up with 10 names in there and only enough spare to say if you agree or disagree.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
  • “a stalking ground for the sanctimoniously self-righteous who love to second-guess, to leap to conclusions and be offended”.
    Well, yeah? Was there some other kind of Twitter and/or internet at some point?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Internet yes, Twitter to a certain extent but there's been a noticeable upswing in pedantry.
  • It's definitely getting worse. The idea that potentially offensive speech is unacceptable, and that people that use offensive language are fair game, isn't as fringe as it used to be.
  • Frankie Boyle's fucked then.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    He's the angriest one.
  • So I found a Chrome extension that allows me to filter my twitter feed. Now all retweets about Kanye fucking West,soccer,Justin Cunting Beiber and James Fucknugget Cordon are all hidden from my feed.Thank fuck for that.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Stephen Fry on why he's left Twitter (again).

Absolutely spot on, really. Twitter has become a cesspool. There's two sorts of people on it that just ruin it - vile trolls and over-zealous social justice warriors. Everyone's either calling random people cunts and telling them to die (then claiming it's OK to say that because Freedom of Speech™), or using their anonymity to attack anyone who says anything that's remotely possibly almost vaguely capable of maybe causing offence (but not actually going after the former group of people, because they'll fight back).

People just went after Fry after his 'bag lady' joke because he was a soft target. Only fucking idiots would believe that man was being genuinely vindictive, or people looking to shore up their tiny egos by showing how PC they are by attacking a man who's done so much to tackle homophobia and mental health stigma.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Twitter is a validation reinforcement tool. people are encouraged to expose themselves in exchange for validation that they are interesting, funny, clever and good.

There's a principle and simple game to demonstrate how much cool or funny you are by the number of likes or retreats. A number which essentially boils down how acceptable you are to most people. You hit paydirt when your tweet goes viral. You become the champion of that minute.

Recently it seems like the simplest way to get people to retweet or like you is to snap at someone who makes a stupid comment. The dogpile effect is avalancheous because if you can pick the right comment nobody can disagree with you if they want to be considered good funny or clever.

It's a hot and toxic combination. Everyone is a sniper and snipee.
  • The worst thing about a platform that lets anyone get in touch with anyone is that it lets everyone get in touch with everyone.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!