Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The ai really shouldn't be a problem. There is only one entity that they need to code AI for. Can't be that hard can it?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Or the shot out of this at the soonest possible point.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Alien Isolation Unpredictable Xenomorph
    It may seem foolhardy to actually be optimistic about any game based on the Alien series, after disappointing releases were outshone by the critical catastrophe known as Aliens: Colonial Marines. But ever since the announcement trailer appeared for Alien: Isolation, things have begun to look up.

Developed by Creative Assembly to be a survival horror experience at its core, the team is trying to stay true to the original film’s villain. How? According to the team’s lead, by introducing a Xenomorph that is lethal, reactive, and completely unpredictable – even to them.

Fans of the original film know that if one theme flowed from start to finish, it was the crew of the Nostromo coming to realize that they were simply no match for the Xenomorph aboard their ship. No quick-thinking, traps, or schemes could save them, and the hero of the film – Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) – survived through silence, care, and avoiding the alien creature at all costs.

Alien-Isolation-Multiplayer.jpg

That might not sound like the kind of experience fit for a triple-A gaming audience, but it’s one that the team at Creative Assembly believed had been missing for too long. The pitch of ‘the Alien game you’ve been waiting for’ took a serious beating after Colonial Marines, but creative lead Alistair Hope still believes that for fans of Ridley Scott’s film, there must be “a more meaningful interaction than having the alien at the end of your barrel.”

Speaking with Edge-Online, Hope admits that those working on Isolation were a little too naive in thinking that the negative reaction to Colonial Marines might hurt their own venture. But if nothing else, the outcry from fans over a slower, less frenzied Alien game prove they’re on the right track. At the time they were unable to cheer that they were in the process of doing just that, but are now even more committed to their vision.

For starters, one Xenomorph offered Ellen Ripley more than enough of a threat to keep audiences engaged. For Isolation, the team is thrusting Ellen’s daughter Amanda Ripley into a similar situation – and that doesn’t just refer to the single alien she’ll be seeking to avoid. Lead designer Gary Napper explains:

“We have a lot of callouts to the original film… Just like the movie, there are other threats present on the station we have to worry about. But the original premise was always Amanda Ripley, the flight recorder from the Nostromo and the alien. We came up with all these great ideas for stories, big events and stuff, but each time we looked at it and came back to, ‘But it’s the alien I’m terrified of.’ All this stuff is supportive, but this story is all about the alien.”

Alien Isolation Screenshot Dead Android
    Alien-Isolation-Screenshot-Dead-Android.jpg

Those who have seen the film (or indeed, any of the sequels) know that the Xenomorph isn’t the only threat when money and research is on the line, and Amanda Ripley will be learning the same lesson. Once arriving at the space station Sevastopol in pursuit of the flight recorder and leads on her missing mother, Ripley finds the station empty, littered with the corpses of humans and ‘Working Joe’ androids.

The only explanation is that a Xenomorph is lurking somewhere on the station, along with the station’s remaining human and android population. But if you’re counting on scripted chases or staying out of the Xenomorph’s patrol paths, Napper has some bad news:

“The alien is systemic across the board. We can just drop the alien into an area and see how it behaves. It knows when it sees something and it knows when it just suspects something… Obviously, we bookend certain areas to give you an objective, but most of the time the alien is in the world and it’s hunting you. You’ll acquire some abilities you can use to defend yourself for a while, but then suddenly the alien stops attacking you. It stops doing what you thought it was going to do. You’re looking at this alien and something’s changed. It learns.”

That kind of AI enemy is typically the stuff of dreams, but lead artist Jude Bond backs up Napper’s claims:

“Yes, it’s a piece of AI and it has parameters we can tune, but the alien’s network of behaviours is so insanely complicated, the thing is almost sentient. There’s a difference between artificial intelligence, where we know what its parameters and behaviours are at a glance, and it being so sentient we have to dig into the code just to find out why and how it did what it did during our playtests.”

Alien Isolation Screenshot Hallway
    Alien-Isolation-Screenshot-Hallway.jpg

That freedom of decision-making and instinct means a wealth of context-sensitive animations and strategies, and one that still keeps the developers on their toes when playing internally (an experience they refer to as “going on safari,” since they never know what the Xenomorph will do). Still, it might be best to hope that the developers have managed to capture the thrills of Alien, not necessarily push the science of artificial intelligence into a new era.

After all, the team first designed their game around the notion of how they themselves would react if a Xenomorph burst into the room. If that feeling can be captured, then the diehard fans will likely be pleased. Not only for the nostalgia offered by the 1970s era technology preserved for the game, but the way they impact gameplay. According to Napper, the player’s now-famous motion detector (or “lifeline”) is just on example of how less is more when it comes to terror:

“I think it’s brilliant that when you see the alien’s dot and the dot marking where you’re supposed to go line up, you panic. The alien’s always complicating simple jobs. When the fact that two dots on the screen line up terrified us, I realised we’ve managed to nail it.”

Do you think Alien: Isolation will manage to avoid the criticism of its predecessor? Whether or not it’s more of a horror game than sci-fi or shooter, is this a take on the franchise’s fiction you’re interested to see more of? Share your thoughts in the comments.
  • Well, sounds promising.

Best thing they could do is release a tech demo of the AI.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • ... That kind of AI enemy is typically the stuff of dreams, but lead artist Jude Bond backs up Napper’s claims: “Yes, it’s a piece of AI and it has parameters we can tune, but the alien’s network of behaviours is so insanely complicated, the thing is almost sentient. There’s a difference between artificial intelligence, where we know what its parameters and behaviours are at a glance, and it being so sentient we have to dig into the code just to find out why and how it did what it did during our playtests.” ...
    lol, yeah, my bullshit meter just pinged into the red there.

Still, benefit of the doubt, maybe they've got the environments so solidly-pathed that it doesn't spaz out and get stuck in corners spinning round and round, or flummoxed by dynamic physics objects, but the behaviour tree unpredictable enough to surprise them... but... yeah... "it's almost sentient!11!1" pings the meter for me.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    It's a bit Molyneux but I will play it either way so bleh.  Wait, is this the Dark Souls 2 thread?  No?  In that case I won't play it.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    three1ne wrote:
    Routine, people. The AI in this will be full Wang.
  • oh god the first part of that video had me laughing far more than i expected, thanks for posting that's made my Monday :)
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • IGN: 16 employees played Alien: Isolation in the dark. How scary is it?

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/04/25/how-scary-is-alien-isolation

Looks aces.

Edited for working link, thanks goobs.
  • Link doesnt work.

I really doubt this'll be any good.

Might be a nice surprise.
  • Does anyone actually play games like that? Quipping to yourself every 10 seconds. They know they're being filmed, I get it, but seriously fuck off to every single one of them.
  • When's this out?
  • I watched a video of this earlier - I might be wrong but I'm sure when they started to show this they said there wouldn't be any guns - the video I saw showed a flame thrower and a pistol. I immediately lost interest.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I saw something with androids going batshit and getting flamethrowered to death. Apparently the Alien is invincible though. It's a worrying development.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    I still think this'll be shit, I can't imagine they'll be able to keep the premise interesting over a full game. I bet the AI will be broken too.

• At least they are trying something different. That might be enough to carry it to being worth a bash. I think most developers would be happy just to do Call of Duty reskinned
    SFV - reddave360
  • I wish that turgid AvP reboot had been a remake of AvP2.
  • Never played the second one but the first pc AvP was great fun. 3 genuinely different play styles. Think that was one of the first PC FPS I played outside of Doom.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    This is some pretty exciting news.
  • Hard on: Engaged
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone

• Wow! Now I want this game.
  • HYPE.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Saw some new footage the other day. They haven't fixed that dodgy as fuck torch beam.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Just watched the E3 demo of this.  Looks scary darey.  I might be up for it if the reviews are good.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!