Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nah, I'd say he's just building up anticipation.
  • This whole Jimmy Carr thing is annoying. If something's not illegal then why not do it? As if most of us wouldn't do the same thing if we were in his position.

If you've got a problem with it, Mr. Cameron, just make it ILLEGAL. Don't turn it into some moral obligation shit.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    When did you start making sense?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What Jimmy Carr thing?
  • He's been shit again.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Was he not just continually shit?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Wait a second, who's Jimmy Carr?

Edit: Oh, he's who I thought he was.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Massive faced comedian that ripped off Bob Monkhouse's act.
  • It was pretty reprehensible of Cameron to single out Jimmy Carr when this is clearly a massively widespread tax-avoidance tactic by the rich.  The decent thing would have been to refuse to comment on individual cases but to promise to address the issue of 'aggressive tax-avoidance schemes' directly, seeking changes in the law to make them illegal.

It's not as if this is news anyhow - many people have been banging on for ages about how unscrupulous many of the wealthy are in their tax affairs.

EDITED for clarity.
  • Here Here!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • There's a fairly big difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance; one of which I think is fine.  If the rules allow it, and someone doesn't like it, they should change the rules!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So that's why you're in Vegas. I thought it was just for the hookers and the gambling.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    There's a fairly big difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance; one of which I think is fine.  If the rules allow it, and someone doesn't like it, they should change the rules!
    No, you're right.  I wrote 'evasion' when I meant 'avoidance'.  Regardless of current legality though, deliberately avoiding tax in such an 'aggressive' manner is morally reprehensible.  It is the duty of everyone who earns a wage in this country to pay their fair share in tax.  The 'but it's legal so it must be ok' defence doesn't wash.
  • Somehow I doubt you'd be so keen if you were a UK resident earning millions per annum. It might be morally reprehensible, but it's perfectly legal. If the government don't like it then they have to close loopholes like these.

good luck with that Dave

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I wish I had an MP3 of the House of Lords doing that ambient bellyaching thing during parliament.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    There's a fairly big difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance; one of which I think is fine.  If the rules allow it, and someone doesn't like it, they should change the rules!

Agree with this. I think it's ok for people like us to moan about tax avoidance. We can do fuck all. David Cameron is in a position to change it. So shut the fuck up and change it.
  • It's also incredibly dumb of Cameron, opening him up to things like this:

Cameron family fortune made in tax havens
    Ian Cameron took advantage of a new climate of investment after all capital controls were abolished in 1979, making it legal to take any sum of money out of the country without it being taxed or controlled by the UK government.

Not long after the change, brought in by Margaret Thatcher after her first month in power, Ian Cameron began setting up and directing investment funds in tax havens around the world.
  • Middle class in paying for fucking everyone again shocker...

Gary Barlow .. Not absolutely fantastic anymore.. But made of Teflon..
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I have no problem with tax avoidance, because, er. 

As has been said, if it's legal, then why shouldn't people take advantage of the fact?  If the government has a problem with that, then they should change the law accordingly.
  • Why has Jimmy been singled out exactly? Following comedians and writers on twitter means everyone has chummed around him making it difficult to see exactly what has happened. Lots of folk comparing him with other people, The Sun ran a piece on One Direction (really) becoming owners of their various business ventures so that they can save a huge amount of money from potential tax, NICE ONE LADS, GOOD LADS, BRITISH LADS. But Jimmy Card BAD. BAD SHIT, PURE CUNT.
  • One reason it's a problem is that the lower earners in the country are paying 10-15% of their income in tax and NI (and are increasingly being squeezed by current state of the economy) whilst top earnings (who can afford clever accountants) are apparently paying as little as 1%.  So the government closes a loophole that's currently being aggressively exploited by said top earners - they'll just find another one to crawl through.  Jimmy Carr (for whatever reason) was very quick to admit that his behaviour was indefensible.  I wonder if Sir Philip Green or Gary Barlow OBE or some of these other high profile tax-avoiders will do same or will continue to move money around offshore accounts, resign from their own companies or other such tactics in a brazen attempt to cling onto their vast wealth, whilst contributing a relative pittance to our economy?
  • I think it's rather more likely that Carr made that statement because his career depends on the public's opinion of him, not because he suddenly had a misplaced attack of conscience.
  • Hence 'for whatever reason'.  He's right though - his behaviour is/was indefensible.
  • I'd be more convinced about the moral reprehensibilty of tax avoidance if I hadn't seen so much public money pissed up the wall in the past decade or so.
  • "I'm not paying my fair share in tax because they'll only piss it up the wall anyway".  Srsly?
  • Anyone here got an ISA?
  • Yes, it is empty.
  • Having an ISA is not aggressive tax-avoidance.  It's a perfectly sensible scheme to encourage lower earners particularly to save money on a tax-free basis.

EDIT:  Yeah, mine's empty too ;(
  • "Agressive", lol. That's just spin.  It's the same principle.
  • He's full of regret because he got caught.

The ISA thing - yes I see where you might be coming from - but at the same time - I don't get my gross wages paid into my ISA, the ISA is funded by money I have already paid tax on.

On a similar topic, when my dad died in March, he had paid lots of money into his pension. 

Government want 55% of that in tax when it is passed to us - which he has already paid tax on in the first place. Now I understand there maybe should be some kind of payment, but 55%? that is such a joke. 

Its the stealth taxes I don't agree with. I would rather pay a higher base rate and know where I stood rather be hit left right and centre with these stealth taxes.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!