Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I’m not a whisky drinker anyway, but I’m into the premise of the article. Smooth = lacking character. I can dig that, as a theory.
    But it's totally incorrect as far as anyone I have ever discussed whisky tasting with would understand the term.
  • On a Negroni kick atm and trying out different gins to see which works the best.  Plymouth gin my favourite so far.
  • poprock wrote:
    I’m not a whisky drinker anyway, but I’m into the premise of the article. Smooth = lacking character. I can dig that, as a theory.

But as a theory, it's bollocks.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Keep me updated pls, it's easily my favourite cocktail these days. Punt e mes is my fave sweet vermouth so far (pop props).

Edit: @pseudoscot
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think it must be the weather, but I'm knocking back the ciders lately. I'm too old to be doing that because they're bloody strong.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Drank a fair few Bourbon cask finished Bushmills monday night (holiday here 12th and 13th) . Splendid variant.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I’m in the minority on ‘smooth’ then. That’s okay.

I didn’t see it as saying “smooth drinks are rubbish”, I took it as saying that if all you can think to say about a drink is that it’s smooth then you’re either a lazy reviewer or the drink doesn’t have much else going for it. If the headline is ‘smooth’ then you’re damning with faint praise - like telling a band their new new song is ‘okay’.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I suppose the same stands for the only thing being said is "painful".

Probably best not to even class them as a proper review if it's only the one word
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    How is that new whisky?

Ouch!
  • I also thought that the article is part of the snobbery that surrounds the drinking of spirits (and particularly whisky) where you're not allowed to just enjoy a drink on your terms. It's moved from "you have to drink this in a very specific way" to "you are not allowed to describe it in this way because you are not trying hard enough if you do". It's elitist bollocks.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Elitist bollocks are an acquired taste
  • At least they're clean and typically hairless.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There is enjoying whisk(e)y which means to me take it as you like it. Ice, water, straight, whatever. I still balk at mixing but I do like a sour or an Old Fashioned, and I wouldn't look down my nose at anyone who throws a mixer in. But it really is missing the point of drinking single malt if you do that.

When I enjoy a whisk(e)y it's usually with a cube or two of ice and I add my own water from a jug. A decent bar will facilitate that for you. Usually a good blend like Johnny Walker Red, Bushmills Original or similar.

Then there is "appreciating" whisk(e)y which means to me trying it straight then with water and really trying to identify the flavours. Top blends and malts for that.

I hosted a whiskey night for mates and had matched food with the different drinks. Used a website for that and for tasting notes to see if we could agree with them. 

Tasted straight first then with water (Evian at room temp) , then with the food.

We had a great time. Used beer for ballast and played table top curling between drinks. We still got plastered mind.
  • poprock wrote:
    I’m in the minority on ‘smooth’ then. That’s okay.

I didn’t see it as saying “smooth drinks are rubbish”, I took it as saying that if all you can think to say about a drink is that it’s smooth then you’re either a lazy reviewer or the drink doesn’t have much else going for it. If the headline is ‘smooth’ then you’re damning with faint praise - like telling a band their new new song is ‘okay’.

It's not talking about a review though. The opener is about an initial reaction:
    If their reaction is, ‘Oh, that’s smooth,’ it just tells me that I probably have not identified my customer as well as I thought I had,” Palazzi tells me. “I’m not upset at the person saying ‘smooth.’ I’m upset at the waste of life—it’s basically a sign that says ‘You just wasted your time.

How does it tell you that? Did you identify that your customer wanted drain cleaner? Because if not, you still don't have any information about the drink beyond the customer hasn't keeled over.

Have you ever drank whisky with someone who talks about the flavour in instant terms?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Smooth invariably means easy to drink.

I've had smooth brandies, whiskies, rums, wines, sherries etc. It's all down to the palate, how many you have had and what food, if any, you have eaten.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Griff's balls are smooth
  • It's the wife's birthday soon, and she's a big fan of G&T. I'd like to get her some proper gin glasses, like the big bulbous ones you occasionally get served in somewhere other than Wetherspoons. Any suggestions?

I recall @poprock sharing photos of some rather fetching glasses at some point (albeit, maybe they weren't gin glasses, I just remember really liking them!)
  • The things you’re after are called ‘copa glasses’ - the big round gin goblets on long stems. It’s always easier to Google things once you have the right name for ’em.
  • Mate, go to the local glass blowing place, book a lesson and make your own with her.
  • If not, I have picked up some tumblers from here before.

https://artemest.com/categories/tabletop/glasses-and-drinkware

Might've been a rec from one of you lot.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Thems some posh fucking glasses.
  • All the work on the octopus then they fucked up the spout.  Cheap crap.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I see chat's moved on from testicles to tentacles. Still Griff doing the polishing though
  • Unlikely wrote:
    All the work on the octopus then they fucked up the spout.  Cheap crap.

If only I had posted it yesterday...
  • poprock wrote:
    The things you’re after are called ‘copa glasses’ - the big round gin goblets on long stems. It’s always easier to Google things once you have the right name for ’em.

Cheers pops. Will have a gander. There's so much 'live, love, laugh' tripe to sift through, but that's certainly narrower things down.

@griff that site looks nuts. I'm not sure I'd trust the wife with such things though, given that she tends to use whatever glass comes to hand to temporarily store bunches of flowers. I've lost many a fine pint glass to such behaviour :(
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I’m partial to a dessert style stout and this un didn’t disappoint.

z7E40en.jpg
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Also picked up a few cans of Denim from Salt after Franny mentioned a while back and that’s a lovely tipple. Will be keeping a few of those on hand.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    In Miami for 4 days then on a East Caribb cruise.

Had some nice Mojitos though the best one was in Puerto Rico.

Some nice local island beers too but best beer was here in Miami.
    https://www.wynwoodbrewing.com/

My pick was "Pappa's Porter" a non coffee stout that tasted a bit like coffee - was quaffable - had a few pints of it. But they have a wide range of great IPAs and fruity ones. Splendid little place.

Booze on the islands was dirt cheap - a litre of Black Bush for $15.

Picked a bottle of this up for $40 mainly because Wifey liked the bottle and a retired Yank on the ship recommended it. It wasn't that much cheaper than elsewhere.
    elit-stoli.jpg

Got a 1 litre of Wray and Nephew at 64%abv for a paltry $12 - was rude not too. Have sampled this one before and it is quite some drink.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!